Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:21 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Right, I just ran the numbers and the average price for housing are:

Prescott - $364K
PV - $263K
SV - $167K

Ken's discussion of drugs and human trafficking through SV is concerning but they don't have particularly bad crime numbers. PV does seem like another good alternative. However, SV probably has more higher paying jobs.

We have close friends from Seattle that made a trek down to Prescott to look at the area as another one of their homes (they are multi multi millionaires) and they rejected the area due to too much traffic and poor conditions for riding their road bikes (their passion).
Prescott Valley on the other hand elected a new mayor who is pro-smart growth, wants to attract higher paying jobs and more manufacturing. So far he's doing pretty good, listening to the constituents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:47 PM

70 posts, read 75,004 times
Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions!!

I think SV is too far south & I'm not thrilled with being so close to the border...not knowing the area, but the possibility of having a parade of illegals or even a few lurking around just isnt calling my name.

Payson/ShoLow look intriguing, but may be too far from services...dont need them now, but as we get older...

Flagstaff is out...too $$$. Cave Creek etc....its nice for sure, been thru there... but I know it gets some heat going on there...plus I do agree, its a bit over the expected budget

I'm finding myself gravitating towards the Prescott/PV more & more...Loving the elevation aspect...have lived in New England our whole lives, so a little snow isnt an issue...we just dont want alot of it, or be sequestered in the house for months at a time. I'm really intrigued with the location...Vegas to the west for a lil excitement... Grand Canyon to the north & the Natl parks in Utah!! Love those!! Colorado in 8 hrs...probably some great camping there!!

Kayaking...did I mention I love it? I have 2...My dream is to go kayaking in some beautiful crystal clear mountain lake...Im assuming there's options?

Bugs/critters...all right...I know there's got to be some...so what is it? Tarantulas? Scorpions? Snakes? or are those mostly more in the desert areas?? Mosquitoes??? Present? probably the most irritating downer in camping here on the East Coast...

Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 PM

555 posts, read 595,469 times
Definitely check out the Prescott/PV area. You should be able to find something in that price range in Prescott Valley as long as you're not looking for a lot of square footage; I've seen a lot of homes in the 1400-1500 s.f. range for $300,000 or less. Look on Zillow. And don't forget that the property taxes will probably be considerably less than in Connecticut.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:55 PM

56 posts, read 80,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allybunnie View Post

Kayaking...did I mention I love it? I have 2...My dream is to go kayaking in some beautiful crystal clear mountain lake...Im assuming there's options?

Bugs/critters...all right...I know there's got to be some...so what is it? Tarantulas? Scorpions? Snakes? or are those mostly more in the desert areas?? Mosquitoes??? Present? probably the most irritating downer in camping here on the East Coast...
There is kayaking in Willow, Watson, Goldwater, and Lynx Lakes. All are in Prescott city limits or are close it. Just be aware the winds can be strong at times at all of the lakes.

I have seen two tarantulas and one dead California king snake in my area of Prescott Valley. People have said they have seen scorpions but I have not seen any. Not a lot of mosquitoes where I live but lots of flies during the summer.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:52 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Are there any tarantulas, black widows, or scorpions in Flagstaff?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
The better climate is in southern AZ, for sure. PV and Flagstaff are places inflated by out of area people, but most find the local economies lack any substance. When you start looking at employers, and the top ones are a poor school district, a bloated city government, and a hospital specializing in Medicaid babies; it is time to run. The problems with the illegals can be a lot worse than they are in most of Santa Cruz County (Nogales). Start pricing houses in Patagonia, Sonoita, Elgin, Tubac and you will see how upscale it can be, and it will make Nogales and Rio Rico seem a lot more sensible. OTOH, the entire I40 corridor is kind of nasty.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:05 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
OP...your fear of illegals aside, which 95% of Sierra Vista residents will say is a non issue....would make Sierra Vista fit most of your desires.

Kayaking...yes....Parker Lake, a 1 hour drive, like more adventure...try kayaking the San Pedro River during monsoon season, 20 minutes away....just know what you are doing first . Riggs Lake, 10,000' elevation, maybe 3 hours away

Mountains yes, with elevation comes cooler temperatures...as mentioned, Sierra Vista is 4600' in elevation, that really moderates the summer heat. Miller Peak, at 9400' is just a few miles from town, and provides great hiking/birding.

Like wineries...Sonoita/Elgin less than an hour away. Like pick your own fruits/veggies, Willcox is less than 2 hours away. Like entertainment, Tucson is 90 miles.

We can all tell you the best place in AZ...but you've got to see it for yourself....it's so diverse, only you can decide what fits you best....just don't expect to do it in a weekend.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-27-2019, 08:30 AM

109 posts, read 136,123 times
Thanks, lots of good info here. We've traveled the SW for years. Originally from CT myself. We nearly pulling the trigger in Marana, just north of Tucson but our last visit scared us off.... 116 in Tucson-Marana/122 in Phoenix. One place I didn't research much but did travel through was Payson out Rt 87 NE of Phoenix Metro (Tonto Forest in between). (Caution, if you use google maps 2 different Payson's show up, I don't get it...?) It's about 1'30'' to Sky Harbor and would seem to have a more agreeable summer and a mild winter. Anyone have knowledge of the Payson area? We ended up in Santa Fe and while it's an interesting town it's been a rough winter so far. We'll be returning to look again at Patagonia, Payson, Rio Verde, Anthem, Cave Creek and I suppose Prescott again.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:38 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Fan View Post
Thanks, lots of good info here. We've traveled the SW for years. Originally from CT myself. We nearly pulling the trigger in Marana, just north of Tucson but our last visit scared us off.... 116 in Tucson-Marana/122 in Phoenix. One place I didn't research much but did travel through was Payson out Rt 87 NE of Phoenix Metro (Tonto Forest in between). (Caution, if you use google maps 2 different Payson's show up, I don't get it...?) It's about 1'30'' to Sky Harbor and would seem to have a more agreeable summer and a mild winter. Anyone have knowledge of the Payson area? We ended up in Santa Fe and while it's an interesting town it's been a rough winter so far. We'll be returning to look again at Patagonia, Payson, Rio Verde, Anthem, Cave Creek and I suppose Prescott again.
We also want to take a good look at Payson, looks like a gorgeous area and the climate is pretty mild overall. I think i would like Santa Fe where you are as well but it gets a little more snow than I prefer.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:52 PM

70 posts, read 75,004 times
Interesting...I also asked a contact I made from someone who has lived in AZ their whole life...asked about Payson as well...She said they probably get more snow than I care to deal with...LOL...but a beautiful area...If you go check these areas, Im interested in your findings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona