Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:18 AM

656 posts, read 817,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
So I just spent the last few hours researching this as the wife and I were seriously considering Sierra vista or Green Valley...then this. What a disaster. I just can't understand how the core of engineers recommends not to build in 2016 then Trump gets in and BAM! Rubber stamped. And Boomers and their "get mine, screw our kids and grandkids" mentality is going to put them down in American history as the generation that killed the planet.

As for the mine, I would feel VERY concerned about water quantity and quality if I lived anywhere near that place. Just terrible as it is such a beautiful area. Ah well, time to look elsewhere to live.

Glad I could help, but Sierra Vista is near the Huachuca Mountains, miles from the Santa Rita Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 03:37 PM

700 posts, read 924,533 times
Southeast Arizona has other issues. The Trump administration has rubber stamped a huge development that will drain the San Pedro aquifer and dry up the riparian habitat.

Quote:
Ex-federal official: 'I got rolled' by Trump administration to ease way for Vigneto housing development

By Tony Davis Arizona Daily Star Apr 29, 2019 Updated May 3, 2019

https://tucson.com/news/local/ex-fed...84d87a4bd.html

A now-retired federal official said he bowed to political pressure from a higher-up in the Trump administration when he reversed a key decision he had made on a 28,000-home Benson development near the San Pedro River.

“I got rolled,” said Steve Spangle, who was a top U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service official in Phoenix.

A “high-level politico” at the Interior Department pressured him through an attorney in its Solicitor’s Office, Spangle told the Arizona Daily Star in a recent interview.

Spangle’s resulting reversal on the Villages at Vigneto development, in a letter to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in October 2017, smoothed the project’s path to get its federal Clean Water Act permit.

His earlier 2016 decision would have required a detailed biological analysis of the proposed development’s impacts on endangered species. Rescinding it allowed the Corps to issue the permit without the lengthy analysis.

By “rolled,” Spangle said he meant: “I made a decision that was in my purview to make. I was overruled by somebody who didn’t have my kind of experience. I used that phrase to distinguish it from making a policy call based on fact, as opposed to making a policy call based on politics. I had a strong feeling this was a political decision on their part.” (Continued...)

Old 05-10-2019, 04:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,394,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
Southeast Arizona has other issues. The Trump administration has rubber stamped a huge development that will drain the San Pedro aquifer and dry up the riparian habitat.
Yeah, Vigneto is a hot (and long ongoing) topic down here - one I admit to having mixed feelings about. While Benson could DEFINITELY use the economic boost (which may or may not actually materialize) there are valid concerns about the San Pedro to be sure.

Thanks for the update.

Ken

Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 PM

811 posts, read 879,030 times
There simply is not enough water there for 28,000 houses, golf courses, artificial lakes, and whatever else they have dreamed up with an italian theme. Once the aquifer is depleted, it will be a luxury wasteland. My friend is fond of saying "You don't miss the water 'til the well runs dry".

If people want faux italianate, they can move to Palm Springs. The open natural desert and rolling grasslands are Arizona's treasure.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:16 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,995,249 times
*were

Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 AM

30,778 posts, read 19,433,058 times
Mining is a nasty industry that has to be regulated to minimize the damage they are going to cause which will affect the area potentially for centuries. On the other hand, we (society) needs the products the mine produces. The only way I would be supportive is if the company provided an EIS and mitigation plan that can be strictly monitored and enforced...it would take a lot for me to be convinced to approve it.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:10 PM

990 posts, read 2,566,040 times
Sooo.... Some are opposed to the opening of a mine that would produce the metals that industries need.

Others are opposed to the "fracking" for the oil and gas production the nation needs.

People on the coasts are opposed to the off shore exploration for energy.

People who live near the forests are opposed to logging.

People up north are opposed to the recovering of Tar Sands for oil.

People in the north east are opposed to building more power plants....

Soooo. just how the heck is a modern society supposed to function....

Old 05-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,694,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Sooo.... Some are opposed to the opening of a mine that would produce the metals that industries need.

Others are opposed to the "fracking" for the oil and gas production the nation needs.

People on the coasts are opposed to the off shore exploration for energy.

People who live near the forests are opposed to logging.

People up north are opposed to the recovering of Tar Sands for oil.

People in the north east are opposed to building more power plants....

Soooo. just how the heck is a modern society supposed to function....
Closed pit mining, while not great, is better than strip mining. It at least leaves the mountains intact....

Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 PM

656 posts, read 817,877 times
The Rosemont Mine will be an open-pit copper mine.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:52 PM

686 posts, read 731,631 times
I "love" how people jump all over Trump when they can get the chance...
That mine has been in the works for over 10 years. It was never going to be a no-go.
That area has been blocked off with barb wire and no trespassing signs for years. Its also not pristine anymore and the public can not access it like we used to. We used to be able ride atvs in that area, but the Forest Service blocked all that off....not Trump. So it was only a matter of time.

What people should be griping about is that the company doing this is a CANADIAN company. Why can't they stay in their own country?

Also, where are the comments for the nuns who live at the Santa Rita Abbey that is only 5 miles from that site? Shouldn't there be a call out for them? Here is a You tube video about the nuns...its dated about 6 yrs ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z7m...&feature=share

Here is a good article to read about the whole situation. It has arguments "For" and "Against" and it doesn't get into Trump bashing.
https://www.revolvy.com/page/Rosemont-Copper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona