Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 03:45 PM

63 posts, read 100,398 times

Advertisements

columb river in washington and oregon sends billions of gallons of fresh water every day

and flows out to the pacific salt water. what a waste of good water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 10:32 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davder View Post
columb river in washington and oregon sends billions of gallons of fresh water every day

and flows out to the pacific salt water. what a waste of good water.
I've thought about that too. And the water is extremely good quality, but they'd never ever send it south to us. Bastards, haha.

BTW, if you want to educate yourself about the Columbia River basin, wikipedia gives a list of that river's DOZENS of dams and the huge hydroelectricity they produce.

Last edited by DougStark; 05-26-2019 at 10:50 PM..

Old 05-27-2019, 10:22 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
fluffy, for the time being, CA's reservoirs are at CAPACITY!!! This winter was a HUGE blessing to them. Now let's see if the enviro whackos in that state ***** and moan when people plant grass lawns

The NW States need more Reservoirs so all the good freshwater doesn't flow into the ocean...

Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I've thought about that too. And the water is extremely good quality, but they'd never ever send it south to us.
Can I repeat something from a prior post? Water arises to $$$, every single time! Right now the economy is doing so well up there in the NW there'd be no temptation at all, even with $$$, to send it south, but with enough $$$, promises of free citrus products or pistachio's to every resident for X amount of years, that might do it!

Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Interesting topic and I think it's good that people are trying to come up with different ideas to conserve and transport and use water sensibly and wisely. However, I would like to see more practical and essential reasons for why water should be transported to the south west. In my opinion lawns, golf courses, pistachios, pecans, citrus products don't cut it - they aren't essential, they're luxuries. Where is the wisdom in wasting water on luxuries? Also the western states don't need another 70 - 80 million people. But that's just my opinion.

But that isn't actually why I posted to this thread. I really just wanted to give you some information and make a comment about the ideas of getting water from the Columbia river. I think before getting hopes up about that it's a good idea to actually do some research about the source of the Columbia river and all the other western rivers that have their source in British Columbia's and western America's Rocky mountains. And maybe start paying more attention to international news about what is happening NOW to your northern neighbour's climate.

Because it appears that those of you talking about it aren't aware yet that the sources are drying up, particularly the further north you go the drier it is becoming. And burning. These days each year is worse than the year before. All of British Columbia, Yukon, Alberta, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut are at risk now but BC is drying up faster than all the others and is at greatest risk. I trust that you've at least heard about some of the consequences, the increasingly numerous wildfires that have been afflicting the northern provinces and which are much worse and a hell of a lot bigger than anything California has offered up.

So maybe you should forget about getting your hopes up for the Columbia river for the future because it's source is in BC and BC is going dry. And it's burning. And when the Columbia's source is completely dry there won't be a Columbia river any more. Then western USA is really going to have a much worse problem. That could happen a lot sooner than anyone dares to think about at the rate the climate and drought is going wild in the north now.

It's a good thing that folks back in the 1950's to 80's were never able to follow through on that ridiculous, arrogant NAWAPA idea. What a waste of land, abandoned and flooded cities, time, effort, money and countless livelihoods and lives and the destruction of immense wild habitats that would have been ..... with absolutely nothing for British Columbia to gain from it but only come out a loser and victim to southern hubris ..... and then all to amount to no water and nothing gained for America either in the long run because of what a changing climate is doing to northern Canada now.

I'm thinking America's best bet is to focus on utilizing the Mississippi waters. Forget about western Canadian water - it won't be there - and forget about the Great Lakes.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:10 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Israel has 4 desalination plants and, so far, we have that dinky little one in Carlsbad, which is only going to supply San Diego with 7% of its water needs. Yes, if it's drying up, up North, then we must look elsewhere.

If the California Coastal Commission won't allow any new mid-rises or high-rises along the entire California coast, imagine how they'd feel about desalination plants, marring the view of some billionaire that wants a single family residence along the coast. The Kings and Queens of the hills in San Francisco won't even allow a building higher than 3 stories to mar their view of the Bay.

So where to put these de-sal plants in Califor-Nimby-a? Camp Pendleton would probably be the best bet! Government land, outside the jurisdiction of the California Coastal Commission.

Whenever I read of the hurricanes along the Gulf Coast (who'd want to live there?) and those living in Tornado Alley, again, who would want to live there? Move west, move west! And then we'd need more water unless we turn the water over to the Israeli's, best water managers in the world. I'm sure those that have experienced being in a hurricane or tornado would laugh their way through an earthquake.

Mississippi river water? Those that build nuclear power plants would love that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona