Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott will disagree with you local Arizonians on how his name is pronounced.
LOL, you’re definitely trying but another swing and a miss trying to prove your “point”. Many people spell their name the same name, but pronounce it differently. Andrea is one example.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:18 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, you’re definitely trying but another swing and a miss trying to prove your “point”. Many people spell their name the same name, but pronounce it differently. Andrea is one example.
Nope, I got a grand slam. Try catching it.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Nope, I got a grand slam. Try catching it.
As long as you feel proud, that's what counts, champ! Are you actually unaware that some people with seemingly the same name pronounce them differently from one another?

The truth is, this argument is getting a little sad, with poorly thought through arguments desperately reaching, yet concluding nothing. Debating English pronunciation and trying to tie logic to it is impossible, especially when dealing with family names. The bottom line is that many words in our language are not pronounced phonetically, Prescott being one of them according the vast majority of locals, no matter how "ignorant and uneducated" YOU think it sounds. My opinion, is that the opposite is true.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:37 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
I’ve always heard Presskit and really only ever hear otherwise from transplants who think they’re right to say it the other way. Basically making the exact some Scottsdale/Prescott analogy that has been made by every person willfully saying it as Prescott for decades.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:01 AM

402 posts, read 612,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I’ve always heard Presskit and really only ever hear otherwise from transplants who think they’re right to say it the other way. Basically making the exact some Scottsdale/Prescott analogy that has been made by every person willfully saying it as Prescott for decades.
Nobody says Presskit outside of the elderly cowboy wannabe types and the giant raised pickup cowboy wannabe types. This is one of those dumb things that will die off completely within the next 10-15 years when the current batch of retirees dies and is replaced with the next batch. The youth already is clueless about the Presskit/Prescott nonsense.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
Nobody says Presskit outside of the elderly cowboy wannabe types and the giant raised pickup cowboy wannabe types. This is one of those dumb things that will die off completely within the next 10-15 years when the current batch of retirees dies and is replaced with the next batch. The youth already is clueless about the Presskit/Prescott nonsense.
That’s not at all true in my experience. I’m in none of the groups that you’re stereotyping and I’ve never heard anything other than “Preskit”. You too must look pretty strange if you think everything is pronounced phonetically. Go to Norfolk and say anything other than “Norfik” and they’ll look at you like you have horns.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I think literally everybody I’ve ever talked to anywhere in this state, including PV and Prescott city employees say it Presskit

Old 05-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Old habits are difficult to break in this state apparently, especially the redneck lifted truck culture and confederate flags.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Old habits are difficult to break in this state apparently, especially the redneck lifted truck culture and confederate flags.
Hasn’t your mantra been don’t change a place you move to?

Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Hasn’t your mantra been don’t change a place you move to?
Californians have been doing so for ages, and it hasn't stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona