Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 11:23 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,751,624 times

Advertisements

Arizona has water. Not sure why this keeps coming up? In any event, OP there are plenty of artsy places here, however, you should youtube the suggestions and narrow down your options. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 05:58 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,660,118 times
Artsy?
Jerome

Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM

30 posts, read 21,325 times
Thanks all - we weren't really considering Phoenix, it looks like I didn't make that clear enough in my original post...but if we have to, the Coronado neighborhood sounds like it would be the best fit.

Excellent to know about Prescott, and perhaps we should look at Patagonia too! It looks like I have a lot more research to do.

We were also actually looking at ABQ, but didn't want to clutter an Arizona thread with questions about NM...this is my first post so wasn't sure about post etiquette. It sounds like we should definitely add ABQ into our trip. Neither of us care for east coast cities or coastal weather, we were planning on heading west if at all possible.

And artsy...yes. Hyper liberal, no, although often they go hand in hand. I find a lack of artsy-ness surprising given the pretty amazing scenery? I would expect many artists would be drawn to the desert landscape, but it's all conjecture. @Slater, I am no stranger to guns, not a hunter, but pretty good target shooter

Last edited by annagene12; 06-03-2019 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgzown View Post
I’m not upset over anything. You are taking things WAY out of context. You must have some issues that need to be resolved. There is crime everywhere you go. Can’t escape it. OP thinks Arizona is some new land where they won’t be affected by crime or taxes. Arizona has a whole new set of problems. Like no water, taxes and you guessed it, crime.
I'm sorry, but my community and inner circle are both deeply affected by crime. "Chiraq" was clearly too snarky, so I apologize for giving the wrong impression, but the crime my city experiences is absolutely no joke and I will leave it at that. There are definitely areas where you can be shielded from it, if you can afford it, but I would like to live in a city where I didn't have to worry so much about gun crime.

I understand that every place has it's faults, and some are better or worse than others. I am not saying that I don't want to live in a place where there aren't taxes...? Illinois is in the worst financial situation of any state by a long shot (100s of billions in debt), and I think a lot of folk are leaving, or perpetually renting here because of it. I didn't write this post to focus on why I am leaving Chicago, but rather to learn more about a new place, but thanks for your input/concern.

Last edited by annagene12; 06-03-2019 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 09:38 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,703,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagene12 View Post
Thanks all - we weren't really considering Phoenix, it looks like I didn't make that clear enough in my original post...but if we have to, the Coronado neighborhood sounds like it would be the best fit.

Excellent to know about Prescott, and perhaps we should look at Patagonia too! It looks like I have a lot more research to do.

We were also actually looking at ABQ, but didn't want to clutter an Arizona thread with questions about NM...this is my first post so wasn't sure about post etiquette. It sounds like we should definitely add ABQ into our trip. Neither of us care for east coast cities or coastal weather, we were planning on heading west if at all possible.

And artsy...yes. Hyper liberal, no, although often they go hand in hand. I find a lack of artsy-ness surprising given the pretty amazing scenery? I would expect many artists would be drawn to the desert landscape, but it's all conjecture. @Slater, I am no stranger to guns, not a hunter, but pretty good target shooter
You mentioned Mesa and Tempe. Both of which are metro-Phoenix. Why would you consider one of those and not Phoenix itself? Phoenix neighborhoods seem like a better fit. Maple Ash in Tempe might also work, but it’s too close to the university for me.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You mentioned Mesa and Tempe. Both of which are metro-Phoenix. Why would you consider one of those and not Phoenix itself? Phoenix neighborhoods seem like a better fit. Maple Ash in Tempe might also work, but it’s too close to the university for me.
That's very fair. I don't have a sense yet for that is absorbed into the greater metro area versus towns in periphery to Phoenix. I know some cities sprawl more, so might make sense to look further out past Mesa / Tempe. Just figured they wouldn't be as dense as the city proper, but it looks like the are suburbs?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:04 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,703,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagene12 View Post
That's very fair. I don't have a sense yet for that is absorbed into the greater metro area versus towns in periphery to Phoenix. I know some cities sprawl more, so might make sense to look further out past Mesa / Tempe. Just figured they wouldn't be as dense as the city proper, but it looks like the are suburbs?
Yes, they are suburbs and two large ones at that. Much of Phoenix and it's surrounding cities are identical and blend right into one another. The point being, if you're considering one of the inner-burbs, you might as well look at Phoenix itself, which IMO is more desirable and more in line with what you're looking for.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Yes, they are suburbs and two large ones at that. Much of Phoenix and it's surrounding cities are identical and blend right into one another. The point being, if you're considering one of the inner-burbs, you might as well look at Phoenix itself, which IMO is more desirable and more in line with what you're looking for.
I think you might be right - that is very helpful to know. I imagine Phoenix is still smaller than Chicago...I am really looking forward to seeing it. I definitely prefer to live directly in a city (ideally a smaller one) as opposed to suburbs.

Coronado sounds like the ticket as far as PHX is concerned. Thanks for the rec - I will be sure to add that to our itinerary.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:03 PM

234 posts, read 500,558 times
I think Tucson would be a great fit. Plenty of affordable places to live. If you can get the jobs worked out I would highly recommend it. Plenty of cool places to eat, friendly people, left leaning, artsy, and the University of Arizona which brings lots of events open to the public. I think some places in New Mexico would be worth checking out as mentioned in other posts. They are close enough where you could try several places on an extended visit.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 PM

233 posts, read 84,476 times
Default Be advised before posting wrong information

[quote=annagene12;55333865]I'm sorry, but my community and inner circle are both deeply affected by crime. "Chiraq" was clearly too snarky, so I apologize for giving the wrong impression, but the crime my city experiences is absolutely no joke and I will leave it at that. There are definitely areas where you can be shielded from it, if you can afford it, but I would like to live in a city where I didn't have to worry so much about gun crime.

I understand that every place has it's faults, and some are better or worse than others. I am not saying that I don't want to live in a place where there aren't taxes...? Illinois is in the worst financial situation of any state by a long shot (100s of billions in debt), and I think a lot of folk are leaving, or perpetually renting here because of it. I didn't write this post to focus on why I am leaving Chicago, but rather to learn more about a new place, but thanks for your input/concern.

Any city you go to in the United States of America is going to have guns. Any city in America is going to have crime. There is no way that you can say that with a straight face and tell me you want to live in a city with no crime. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. That’s impossible. And for your information, Illinois is NOT in the worst financial situation of any state by any shot. That would be New Jersey. Every state that has a huge economy like Illinois with Chicago has fiscal negatives. That’s fact. New York City is on the verge of bankruptcy. California is bankrupt. Texas has just as many taxes as Illinois puts out there. List goes on and on. I believe Illinois has fixed their pension crisis for the long term and will come out on top. Try to research something before writing comments because no one likes fake news on a forum like here. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona