Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 03:39 PM

30 posts, read 21,241 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of leaving Chicago, and we are currently in the research phase of the moving process. We have about 1.5-2 yrs to plan and visit places, so we can save up for a mortgage and so I can finish grad school - so we aren't in a rush. We are both in our late 20s and gainfully employed

Would love to solicit advice & will try to avoid redundancy. We are planning to visit Arizona this winter, as his brother is moving to Phoenix with his native girlfriend. I would like to know where to narrow the search...we will have about a week there to explore. I am NOT especially interested in living in Phoenix metro, bc one of the reasons we are leaving Chicago is to avoid the stress of big city life, but also to escape high taxes, terrible crime, high cost of living and importantly...brutal winters and lack of sunshine.

I was focusing on Tucson, but also open to looking elsewhere (maybe Mesa? Tempe? Prescott?). We need help planning our trip - so recs on towns and neighborhoods to check out would be AMAZING! We are both "funky", I have visible tattoos and a nose ring, and we lean slightly left of center politically, we aren't really party animals but enjoy going out once in a while.

In no particular order, criteria we are evaluating:

Food scene / grocers - I am a total foodie, love farmer's markets, lots of produce, gardening and restaurants

Job market - it's possible we can both work remotely, but I tend to like working in an office. He works in finance, I work in technology, have healthcare experience as a digital product designer / manager

Education/family friendly - we plan on having kids in the next few years and will eventually need to send them to school , would like them to have friends, and it would also be cool to be around folk who value higher education

Friendliness - aside from his brother, we won't know a soul in the area - I am a very social person, and we have made a lot of friends in Chicago via a philosophy Meetup - how easy is it to make friends?

COL - would like a 3 bd house for under $400k - I do not like cookie cutter and prefer vintage / older homes

Walkability - I love riding my bike, and prefer to walk if possible. We will also have a car though if need be

Landscape / nature - I do not want endless views of urban sprawl. I can't wait to see the desert and mountains - and spend more time outside in areas with low foot traffic and go on hikes with our dog, hopefully a short drive away (ie could go early in the AM or on weekends)

Sorry for the length of the post, thanks in advance for any help. *Not* interested in focusing on weather, or crime...I am from the south side of Chiraq...I doubt much could be thrown my way that I haven't seen before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 04:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Look into the Coronado neighborhood in downtown Phoenix. It’s funky, artsy, community oriented and a great location. I think you’d fit in very well.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Here’s an example of a house that may be a fit.

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Phoenix/20.../home/27721485

Prices are rising rapidly though so it may be too soon to begin looking if you’re still two years out. You may find something that works now, that will be out of reach then.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:05 AM

700 posts, read 921,655 times
Tucson is for you. You would love it.

Here's a couple of vintage threads:

Tucson or Phoenix

Why is Tucson a smaller city the Phoenix??

Old 06-01-2019, 06:38 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,493,851 times
I'd second the Coronado neighborhood, lived there for just over three years. It's still artsy and funky (though quickly changing due to gentrification) plus safe enough that you won't feel like an urban pioneer who has to wait 4-5 years for the local gang members to move out. If you need to fly back to Chicago on a regular basis, it's a 10-12 minute drive to the airport.

Downside if you work from home is internet service is slower and often unreliable. Plus during our summer monsoon storms be prepared to be without power for anywhere from two hours to a couple of days. But I did hear rumors that one of the ISP's was laying cable to offer better and faster internet service.

If you do need to find a job, Phoenix is the clear winner. I was told by more than one person when we were thinking about moving to Tucson is that we better bring our jobs with us. Learning to love Tucson now that I'm here, but if I was young and artsy again Phoenix is where I would want to land.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:09 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,981,060 times
Patagonia is artsy, is affluent, with much better climate than Tucson or Phoenix.. but is still a small town, but big box stores in nearby Nogales, and duty free shopping at the border. Need to bring job with you. Prescott is overhyped as being a big improvement to Phoenix, and does have better climate, but the local economy is completely lacking in substance.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:37 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,520,607 times
And is that "Pres-kitt" or "Pres-cott?" Which one are talkin' about here?

Old 06-01-2019, 05:06 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,226,062 times
I have a hard time imagining anywhere in Arizona as "artsy". I do have some Beretta handguns and Benelli shotguns that are examples of fine Italian styling. Does that count?

Old 06-01-2019, 05:24 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,368,450 times
leaving the stress of a metro area of 9 million people for one of 4.5 million is what you will face in Phoenix. Not sure then why you would even consider the Arizona capital. Phoenix is still top 10 city in size in the U.S. You want some good size hills and nearby mountains but mild winters, lower crime and more affordable housing? Look east to Nashville, Charlotte and Raleigh.

Oh and Phoenix lacks water and has BIG dust storms. If you want desert southwest, Albuquerque is high elevation with mountains and Santa Fe, which is very artsy is only 50 miles north and you can take the train there. ABQ is affordable while Santa Fe housing is pricey.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,636,362 times
Not Arizona, but Santa Fe NM may be what you're looking for.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona