Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 08:59 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
an inch would be nice, but the weather forecasters out here would need to be put on life support if that happened;I've never seen a bigger deal being made about a tiny amount of precipitation in any city in the world, and, I've been to many of them.."Team coverage" for a tenth of an inch of rain, swarms of reporters on every station, driving around desperately searching for clouds or drizzle.. Makes us look like Mayberry, RFD...
I laughed hysterically the first time I saw STORM COMMANDER! in action.

https://www.azfamily.com/weather/ari...16c507b2e.html

My God, these people take themselves so seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I laughed hysterically the first time I saw STORM COMMANDER! in action.

https://www.azfamily.com/weather/ari...16c507b2e.html

My God, these people take themselves so seriously.
I know; my wife and I cant resist cracking up as well every time they cut to the live shot of someone in that thing, warning of impending Armageddon, which, according to the weather forecasting idiots out here is just one monster monsoon storm away.. I mean "storm commander"??? It a Chevy blazer with a weather station installed inside...

Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Well, there has been a move in recent years to turn news into entertainment.

Though I don't think SC! was what they had in mind.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 AM

1,336 posts, read 926,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
an inch would be nice, but the weather forecasters out here would need to be put on life support if that happened;I've never seen a bigger deal being made about a tiny amount of precipitation in any city in the world, and, I've been to many of them.."Team coverage" for a tenth of an inch of rain, swarms of reporters on every station, driving around desperately searching for clouds or drizzle.. Makes us look like Mayberry, RFD...
LOL, same thoughts here. Arizona is such a slow news state (which is good imo) that they need to bait you in with tantalizing lead-ins. Or crowd sourced video, now, since the news cams have a hard time keeping up with the sparse newsworthy events.

We don't have a rain gauge, but we got I estimate about 1/4" or so. This storm seemed very cellular in that tight cells would dump and around the periphery it would not precip so much. Whatever we get, we welcome. Helps my granules wet in even better and get those scorps hiding in my gravel to emerge and die.

While the humidity is undesirable, at least the temps are also down today, which is a nice break.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 AM

A true 'Storm Commander' would have a doppler radar on top.

I think this one indeed is a Chevy Yuke with tablet showing NWS radar returns.
And constantly missing whatever cell is active. Just pay people to capture video at their homes, if you use their video.
Problem of getting the best weather shots solved.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:53 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
Quote:

Though I don't think SC! was what they had in mind.
sadly, the "news" out here is nothing but entertainment...maybe sprinkle one or 2 actual "news" stories in every hour or so, but the rest is just silly fluff, and, for a area that has little "real" weather, they spend 75% of the newscast exaggerating whatever weather we happen to be having that day..I mean, calling it a "major cool down" when the temps go from 104 to 100 is beyond stupid..

Old 08-01-2019, 06:50 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Quote:
And they sure the heck have. . . . Certainly doesn't contain much in the way of facts anymore.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:30 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
So, I've been just seeing a little here and there. We'll get a couple of thunder rumbles and about fifteen minutes of rain here in Taylor where I work, but yesterday I drove to Pinetop . . . . .

WOW! As I was going south down the Penrod extension, I couldn't see Porter Mtn at all. There was a huge sheet straight down out of the sky. Then when I got to hwy 260, it started coming down. The further I drove up to Pinetop, the heavier it got. Around Safeway I heard the hail starting. I was hard driving home to Lakeside for the amount of rain. The right lane was useless.

At home in Lakeside, the sun was almost out! No raining, the ground barely wet. Weather service called for a severe thunderstorm warning as the storm stalled right over Pinetop. I looked at the radar and there were these two red blobs, but they might have only covered less than ten square miles. Later, there was a flash flood warning. I ran into my boss in Pinetop. But this morning he showed me pictures of quarter sized hail by the handfuls, and he said it was up to four inches thick on some roads. And the lightning? All over mainly right on top of us. Flash Bang.

So veritased, come on up. No guarantees though. Except for cooler weather.

Last edited by teddyearp; 08-02-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-04-2019, 12:21 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,724 times
Wait....just got to Kingman yesterday for a 2 month stay, maybe longer. I have not yet seen one monsoon. Where are they??!! LOL

Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 AM

Yesterday, right up and even past the point where clouds appeared over McDowell range and lightning lit up the sky and hard driving rain came down, the NWS Phoenix office said no rain, and the news channels said 10% chance at best.
Let's face it, the AZ monsoon climate is far too complex to model, and these guys just don't have to the tools or know how.
This was the biggest storm I've seen this season yet, and it was the least anticipated by the pro's. So will pay much less attention to the nice weather lady, she/he has no clue, in fact.

Yes coming up to Pinetop/Lakeside today in fact for a quick visit. Leaving Scottsdale now!

BTW, the weather in SF Bay was infinitely easier for them to forecast, though, once the weather got more eastward, they really couldn't tell how much it would snow in the Sierra's, though they usually got it roughly right, and sometimes missed the amounts by a huge swath. Storms in Coastal california come from way out in the Pacific, move eastward and are super easy to track. Here the storms seem to pop up from nowhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona