Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 12:20 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,156,912 times

Advertisements

It is all about ambient moisture, heat and barometric pressure. The old rule of 3x55° Dewpoint is the only one I trust. Random "Monsoon Season" dates are bunk and outside of an obvious system coming up from the south...they always get it wrong. That storm came in last night and my wife just looked at me and said "10% chance, huh?". That is what "they" said and as you know..."they" are frequently wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Wait....just got to Kingman yesterday for a 2 month stay, maybe longer. I have not yet seen one monsoon. Where are they??!! LOL
Kingman doesn't get monsoons...CA taxes all the moisture and then the rest gets lost in Las Vegas.

j/k...you all should get some this month....August is usually when Kingman gets some moisture.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 834,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Kingman doesn't get monsoons...CA taxes all the moisture and then the rest gets lost in Las Vegas.

j/k...you all should get some this month....August is usually when Kingman gets some moisture.
LOL....nice!!! Hopefully we will see something. Saw lightning waaayyyyyy in the distance last night. Was pretty cool.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:57 PM

1,336 posts, read 930,019 times
I was watching radar and moisture satellite snapshots all day, and the moisture seemed to appear and intensify all of a sudden late in the afternoon. It's not like something one can track coming from point A to point B.

I took a college meteorology class, but frankly it was an intro class that left me with 100x more questions than when I came in.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Yesterday, right up and even past the point where clouds appeared over McDowell range and lightning lit up the sky and hard driving rain came down, the NWS Phoenix office said no rain, and the news channels said 10% chance at best.
Let's face it, the AZ monsoon climate is far too complex to model, and these guys just don't have to the tools or know how.
This was the biggest storm I've seen this season yet, and it was the least anticipated by the pro's. So will pay much less attention to the nice weather lady, she/he has no clue, in fact.

Yes coming up to Pinetop/Lakeside today in fact for a quick visit. Leaving Scottsdale now!

BTW, the weather in SF Bay was infinitely easier for them to forecast, though, once the weather got more eastward, they really couldn't tell how much it would snow in the Sierra's, though they usually got it roughly right, and sometimes missed the amounts by a huge swath. Storms in Coastal california come from way out in the Pacific, move eastward and are super easy to track. Here the storms seem to pop up from nowhere!
NE Sdale and FH are indeed their own microclimate up there

Old 08-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
NE Sdale and FH are indeed their own microclimate up there
Interesting. How so? I'd like to get a headstart on understanding the valley regions, such as they in terms of microclimates. Where I am, I am about as much in the lee of the McDowell mountains as can be, for storms coming from E or SE.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:39 AM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Yesterday, right up and even past the point where clouds appeared over McDowell range and lightning lit up the sky and hard driving rain came down, the NWS Phoenix office said no rain, and the news channels said 10% chance at best.
Let's face it, the AZ monsoon climate is far too complex to model, and these guys just don't have to the tools or know how.
This was the biggest storm I've seen this season yet, and it was the least anticipated by the pro's. So will pay much less attention to the nice weather lady, she/he has no clue, in fact.

Yes coming up to Pinetop/Lakeside today in fact for a quick visit. Leaving Scottsdale now!

BTW, the weather in SF Bay was infinitely easier for them to forecast, though, once the weather got more eastward, they really couldn't tell how much it would snow in the Sierra's, though they usually got it roughly right, and sometimes missed the amounts by a huge swath. Storms in Coastal california come from way out in the Pacific, move eastward and are super easy to track. Here the storms seem to pop up from nowhere!
In all fairness, it's much easier to predict frontal storms. Very difficult to predict convective storms because they are much more localized. I've literally seen it rain on one side of the street and not on the other during convective precipitation.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In all fairness, it's much easier to predict frontal storms. Very difficult to predict convective storms because they are much more localized. I've literally seen it rain on one side of the street and not on the other during convective precipitation.
Right, exactly. I think that's the difference between the typical California coastal storm that is very trackable and better modeled.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh this happens all the time. We were coming home from the market one day last summer...it was pouring rain. Drove the 3/4 of a mile to our house and right as we crossed to the west side of our neighborhood...dry as a bone.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Oh this happens all the time. We were coming home from the market one day last summer...it was pouring rain. Drove the 3/4 of a mile to our house and right as we crossed to the west side of our neighborhood...dry as a bone.
Yes, very different than both my Midwest and West Coast life, where it was all frontal and rain was guaranteed to be region wide, with more active cells randomly evolving. Here the storm can seem to appear just from thin, albeit hot and humid, air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona