Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like living in Arizona?
Yes, I do. 31 62.00%
I have a love/hate relationship with it. 11 22.00%
No, I want to move. 8 16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:44 PM

83 posts, read 68,090 times

Advertisements

Do you like it? If so, what do you like? If not, what don’t you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 10:34 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caves19 View Post
Do you like it? If so, what do you like? If not, what don’t you like?
I love, love, LOVE Arizona. I grew up in So. Cal. til I was 25. Lived on the Oregon coast until I was 50. I never did get used to the cold and rain of the Oregon coast. I moved here in 2011 and I couldn't be happier. I love the people, the weather and the western vibe to the place. I really appreciate that I can do things here all year long that were seasonal in other places that I lived. Also, if I get burnt out on the heat of summer, I can take a very short drive and be in the high country in little over an hour.
I honestly don't understand all these folks that say the summer weather forces them to stay indoors for 3 to 5 months at a time. If you can't find something to exciting to do then you're just not having much fun in life.
What's not to love. There is just so much to do in this state. I've been here 8 years now and I've barely scratched the surface.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I've tried moving away three times, yet keep coming back. Finally threw in the towel and realized I'll be here forever. Keep looking for somewhere better and have yet to find it.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:51 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I love Arizona. From my first trip to Phoenix, I knew I belonged here. Part of it was the sense that the state is well-run, which is just about the exact opposite of California. First impressions: Incredible freeways, free of litter. Friendly people. Wow, everything is different here. Sunrise at 5 am now because AZ doesn't do Daylight Savings Time.

I enjoy the wildlife just on our own little acre of Paradise. If I'm lucky, early in the morning I get to see the two jackrabbits "commuting" from their homes in our citrus grove to some dense plantings that they munch on all day. I met a collared lizard the other day. Big, incredibly colorful and not afraid of me at all. We have loads of lizards (non-collared), I see them everywhere on the property. I call them "Nature's corndogs" because they are food for so many predators. My spouse went out to our casita the other night and nearly stepped on a large glossy snake stretched out across the threshold. (They eat lizards, too.)

The only downside so far is that some people think they own the road and are not shy about letting you know. But you learn how to fit in. I hardly ever get honked at any more and the death threats have dwindled to only one a month. (Kidding!)

Old 06-24-2019, 03:04 PM

51 posts, read 29,329 times
We moved here from the Midwest almost two years ago. Every day feels like we're on vacation. We have a view of a mountain from our back yard. Love the weather. Desert cactus blooms are amazing. Sunrise and sunsets are amazing. In the winter, I still get to wear some of my fall/winter wardrobe. Agree that the driving skills exhibited on most streets and expressways leave much to be desired. :-)

Old 06-24-2019, 03:46 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
I’ve lived here since 1995 and, for the most part, we both love it here. I’ve lived here longer than anywhere else in my life and this is the only place in the US where my wife has lived. She lived in São Paulo BR prior to AZ.

I’ve extended my job for just over a year now and will probably retire in May, 2021...unless offered an incentive or I am terminated. I never take anything for granted including my employer of 34.3 years.

My wife and I went to move closer to family so within a few years after that, we’ll relocate to 10 acres in the Auburn-Opelika AL area. We will not miss the heat but we’ll miss our friends. Parker, our vizsla, will be thrilled with his new “backyard” and maybe, a little brother. My wife will have a dedicated sewing room for her quilting hobby and I’ll have a bit of land to play with. Everyone wins!

Old 06-24-2019, 07:34 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Moved here from Chicago. I'm impressed with seeing a state that's run well. My old state is circling the drain into bankruptcy.

FAR less traffic here. I can actually drive on the weekends without sitting in traffic. Imagine that! And the cost of living is 20% lower. Awesome.

No more shoveling snow. No more mowing the lawn. Awesome!

Old 06-24-2019, 07:36 PM

994 posts, read 966,364 times
The valley statistically takes 1.5years off your life , just fyi.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Been here since 1963, plan to be buried here. It's added 20+ years to my life.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 AM

10 posts, read 6,443 times
Phoenix, Arizona is a superb home. It is a busy city in the center of the desert and, yes, it will get hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona