Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 12:49 PM

63 posts, read 68,174 times

Advertisements

then head east to Connecticut. friend wants to do this and asked me to ride with him. want to see that part of the country but with just a plan to drive it in 3 or 4 days with scenic stops seems too hasty and then adding on the 4 or 5 days to get to Connecticut from Montana.

Thoughts? I'm thinking of not going would rather do this w more time spent to sight see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 01:56 PM

24,656 posts, read 26,215,078 times
^^ I wouldn't do it, definitely not a fun trip.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 PM

somehow part of my question got cut off.

We would actually be starting in los Angeles, drive a day to Wickenberg, AZ, to start the rt 89 trip, then head to connecticut from Montana.

not exactly a direct route

Old 07-19-2019, 03:17 PM

44,739 posts, read 62,016,554 times
I've done that route, very scenic and worth it if you have the time for sight seeing. We spent 4 days on that trip.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,388,921 times
What you get to Prescott, you'll actually want to take 89A from there. That takes you through Sedona and up to Flagstaff to I-40. Depending on what part of Montana you're going to go through, I'd think you'd back track and take 15 to Butte.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:56 PM

8,059 posts, read 12,369,460 times
I just came back from a two week trip to northern AZ, as well as Utah & Colorado, and I drove on U.S. 89 for a good part of the way. The only bad part about this road is where it narrows to two lanes north of Flagstaff, and the scenery transitions from forest to high desert. There are passing lanes, but good luck using them if you get behind slow idiots who can't obey the law, which is: KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS.

What I recommend is turning off onto 89A just south of Page. That road isn't as heavily traveled as the regular highway 89, and it's a bit more scenic. You'll see Vermillion Cliffs, and then you'll make a significant climb in elevation before reaching Jacob Lake, which is the turnoff to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I highly recommend seeing the North Rim ... it's much prettier and a little less crowded than the South Rim.

After this, 89A will go into Utah and merge with highway 89 in Kanab. From here, it's pretty much high plains and scattered forest land until you get to the turnoff for Bryce Canyon. I recommend seeing this as well. It's not quite as impressive as the Grand Canyon, but it's definitely something worth seeing if you're interested in various unique rock formations.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:27 PM

755 posts, read 478,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I just came back from a two week trip to northern AZ, as well as Utah & Colorado, and I drove on U.S. 89 for a good part of the way. The only bad part about this road is where it narrows to two lanes north of Flagstaff, and the scenery transitions from forest to high desert. There are passing lanes, but good luck using them if you get behind slow idiots who can't obey the law, which is: KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS.

What I recommend is turning off onto 89A just south of Page. That road isn't as heavily traveled as the regular highway 89, and it's a bit more scenic. You'll see Vermillion Cliffs, and then you'll make a significant climb in elevation before reaching Jacob Lake, which is the turnoff to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I highly recommend seeing the North Rim ... it's much prettier and a little less crowded than the South Rim.

After this, 89A will go into Utah and merge with highway 89 in Kanab. From here, it's pretty much high plains and scattered forest land until you get to the turnoff for Bryce Canyon. I recommend seeing this as well. It's not quite as impressive as the Grand Canyon, but it's definitely something worth seeing if you're interested in various unique rock formations.
Took this route last year and everything the poster says here is correct. Except I actually enjoyed Bryce Canyon more than the North Rim (in truth it is a little like comparing diamonds and rubys - each spectacular in its own way). It just felt like you could get up close and personal with the landscape at Bryce. Avoid during peak periods as I have read that it can be overrun. If you have time definitely check out Antelope Canyon near Page. Mesa Verde was part of our trip and if you can make it there you should go. It's a national treasure in my opinion. And the nearby Durango to Silverton railway is supposed to be one of the most scenic rides in North America. Man, I miss that part of the country. It really got into my blood!

Old 07-27-2019, 09:47 PM

148 posts, read 244,436 times
I also like Bryce over the GC. Been a few years since we did the circle from LV to North Rim, Lake Powell, Arches, Bryce, Zion, and back to Vegas. Want to go again.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:13 AM

we are back from the trip -

breathtakingly beautiful! I recommend taking Rt12 cutoff which returns to 89

from Glacier in Montana we drove through the badlands back to Connecticut - a 3 1/2 day drive better than I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona