Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:52 AM

994 posts, read 966,364 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with this? Scorpion Repel states

"This non-toxic application is applied to the base of a home, including door thresholds, steps or other parts of a home, which makes contact with the ground.

The application has been tested extensively. The scorpions simply move on or give up. The application has a long life span. All the homeowner must do is keep the surface area relatively clean (we recommend re-applying every 3 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 06:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
No, I generally use a flame thrower!

Old 09-23-2019, 05:08 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Thanks for posting, as I am an amateur scorpion bioweapon researcher LOL.

Looking into their website, it does not seem like it's actually a repellant, but a surface coating which does not enable the scorpion to climb up those 4 inches or whatever. Seems like an interesting concept if truly it does create such a slippery surface. I would like to know how well it really works though. Did they test with bark scorpion species specifically, which are able to climb vertically? The one video shows what looks like a bark scorp trying to climb, but unable to get purchase on the start of the foundation stem wall. \

Secondly, alot of us have paint on that stem wall, and it flakes off over time, and if it does, so does this surface coating.

Well, in conclusion, depending on your stem wall surface, and how well it needs to be prepped, and if this does work well on bark scorpions, then I'd say it might be worth a try. I wonder what the surface coating is. They seem to want to hide what they are spraying, and it's not that non-toxic, as the applicator guy is wearing a decent mask.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:15 PM

13,233 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I have spoken to people who were successful in keeping the population down by hunting with powerful black light and wasp spray where it shoots up to 14 feet. I have never found anything which I could buy and spray around my home that works. I had to hire green-mango pest control what ever they used it killed everything.

I have thought if I ever were to buy acre lot or larger up in desert area I would put in a plastic lined trench goes all the way around my home with a Tee on one side leads back into the desert. The Scorpion would fall into the trench and walk around until they end up back in the desert.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:46 AM

306 posts, read 335,615 times
I've heard that diatomaceous earth (DE) works. It's fine, jagged particles gets in the scorpions joints and compromises their exoskeleton, causing them to dehydrate and die. I guess you sprinkle it around your house.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:55 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
"kill their food, and they will go elsewhere"

that's the general rule of scorpion control..that, and seal as many openings as you can along your foundation, and use glue boards on the inside of your garage door edges, and man doors

DE is ok, but the way the winds blow out here in the desert, that stuff will scatter like the wind; and, if the bug doesn't actually walk across it, it's worthless..plus, if/when it gets wet, it's worthless..

and, btw, Green Mango is the most expensive pest control service out here, and they don't use or do anything that much less expensive companies do or use, so be ware...typically, you shouldn't pay more than 30-40 per month for pest control, you don't need an "initial major service" for hundreds of dollars, and, if your service does a good job, once every 2 months should work for most people..

Old 09-29-2019, 10:26 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
We get one or two small ones in the house each year. I smack them silly with a fly swatter then lift them on it and dump them in the theme park "log flume" thrill ride and flush it. I really don't worry about them until they're the size of a lobster.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We get one or two small ones in the house each year. I smack them silly with a fly swatter then lift them on it and dump them in the theme park "log flume" thrill ride and flush it. I really don't worry about them until they're the size of a lobster.
I had the same idea as you until I got stung my entire leg went numb felt like it was attached to a tens device shocking my leg for 12 hours.

I actually posted my experience as it happened here on CD back in 2016

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...last-bark.html

Old 09-29-2019, 08:20 PM

994 posts, read 966,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I had the same idea as you until I got stung my entire leg went numb felt like it was attached to a tens device shocking my leg for 12 hours.

I actually posted my experience as it happened here on CD back in 2016

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...last-bark.html
have you had any similar reaction from other bug stings?

Old 09-29-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
have you had any similar reaction from other bug stings?
No it was nothing like a wasp, bee, fire ant which I have experienced each of those. The strange thing was I felt the feeling of shocking sensation in the area of the sting on my ankle for months like I was being stung when I would look at it nothing there. You don't forget about a bark scorpion sting that's why I hired a service which I was against because I don't like to use pesticides really was okay with them being outside. That year we had an invasion of crickets I would be walking on the lawn the crickets would jump was like popcorn so many.

Last edited by kell490; 09-29-2019 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona