Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 09:31 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times

Advertisements

I wonder, does anyone have any updates on new additions?

Right now eFairies.com still isn't collecting Arizona sales tax. I actually did a test order on eFairies.com in another state without actually placing the order (my cousin's address in Massachusetts), and Massachusetts sales tax was applied when that address was used (eFairies.com is based in Washington). My guess is right now they are currently below the Small Seller Exemption threshold for Arizona which is currently below $200,000 in annual sales to the state. However, that might change in the next two tax years since it will be lowered to $150,000 for the 2020 tax year and $100,000 for the 2021 tax year and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 02:22 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I wonder, does anyone have any updates on new additions?

Right now eFairies.com still isn't collecting Arizona sales tax. I actually did a test order on eFairies.com in another state without actually placing the order (my cousin's address in Massachusetts), and Massachusetts sales tax was applied when that address was used (eFairies.com is based in Washington). My guess is right now they are currently below the Small Seller Exemption threshold for Arizona which is currently below $200,000 in annual sales to the state. However, that might change in the next two tax years since it will be lowered to $150,000 for the 2020 tax year and $100,000 for the 2021 tax year and beyond.
Just a hunch, but I am guessing they aren't sending 6 figures worth of inventory to AZ (unless you win the lottery or something).

Everyone I know does all their fairy shopping on Amazon.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:38 PM

Looking at Walmart, it seems like their sales tax calculation for third party sellers is messed up. It seems like certain ZIP codes get charged sales tax and others don't. My ZIP code (85142) isn't currently being charged sales tax for third party sellers. In Gilbert, sales tax is being applied to 85297, but not 85298 for third party seller items. I find it strange why some ZIP codes would get charged sales tax and others wouldn't. Even ZIP code alone isn't enough to determine tax rate; you need ZIP+4 (such as city vs. county).

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 06-12-2020 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 09:17 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Looking at Walmart, it seems like their sales tax calculation for third party sellers is messed up. It seems like certain ZIP codes get charged sales tax and others don't. My ZIP code (85142) isn't currently being charged sales tax for third party sellers. In Gilbert, sales tax is being applied to 85297, but not 85298 for third party seller items. I find it strange why some ZIP codes would get charged sales tax and others wouldn't. Even ZIP code alone isn't enough to determine tax rate; you need ZIP+4 (such as city vs. county).

Why are you so concerned about what company collects sales tax? You realize all the sales tax collection takes money out of your pocket? You are ok with that?

Old 06-12-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Why are you so concerned about what company collects sales tax? You realize all the sales tax collection takes money out of your pocket? You are ok with that?
Regardless if I have to pay the sales tax or not, they are apparently not in compliance with the state's Marketplace Facilitator law when it comes to third party seller sales. Small sellers and marketplace facilitators can get away with not charging sales tax due to the Small Seller Exemption (eFairies.com seems to qualify), but if selling on a large online marketplace, the marketplace facilitator must collect sales tax on the seller's behalf. Amazon seems to be in full compliance; eBay seems to be in partial compliance save for a few glitches in charging the wrong sales tax rate for some customers (particularly those in ZIP codes shared between multiple jurisdictions).

Unfortunately, South Dakota vs. Wayfair is what led to these new online sales tax laws across the nation. This can pretty much only be stopped if the U.S. House and Senate were to pass a law that would override the ruling, which I think is pretty much a pipe dream.

It's not that I want to pay the sales tax, but online retailers are required to be in compliance with Arizona's online sales tax law.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 06-12-2020 at 11:24 PM..

Old 06-13-2020, 07:02 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Regardless if I have to pay the sales tax or not, they are apparently not in compliance with the state's Marketplace Facilitator law when it comes to third party seller sales. Small sellers and marketplace facilitators can get away with not charging sales tax due to the Small Seller Exemption (eFairies.com seems to qualify), but if selling on a large online marketplace, the marketplace facilitator must collect sales tax on the seller's behalf. Amazon seems to be in full compliance; eBay seems to be in partial compliance save for a few glitches in charging the wrong sales tax rate for some customers (particularly those in ZIP codes shared between multiple jurisdictions).

Unfortunately, South Dakota vs. Wayfair is what led to these new online sales tax laws across the nation. This can pretty much only be stopped if the U.S. House and Senate were to pass a law that would override the ruling, which I think is pretty much a pipe dream.

It's not that I want to pay the sales tax, but online retailers are required to be in compliance with Arizona's online sales tax law.
Contact the state then and rat them out if it makes you feel better.

You still did not answer my question. Why are you so concerned with this? I am sure the state has people who deal with this sort of thing. If they have to go back and retroactively charge them the tax owed, they will. Honestly I have never even heard of efairies and I have sold online for 20 years. Amazon, eBay and now Walmart dominate the online world in the area you are targeting. All the rest are chump change in comparison.

There are endless things that people and businesses are required to do in Arizona to be in "compliance." There are people who exceed the speed limit. You could put a cam in your car and record them doing so and turn them in. I know people who sell at swap meets who don't collect sales tax. People that are there every week, year after year. Like I said why are you so concerned about this one issue of smaller online sellers?

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-13-2020 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-13-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Contact the state then and rat them out if it makes you feel better.

You still did not answer my question. Why are you so concerned with this? I am sure the state has people who deal with this sort of thing. If they have to go back and retroactively charge them the tax owed, they will. Honestly I have never even heard of efairies and I have sold online for 20 years. Amazon, eBay and now Walmart dominate the online world in the area you are targeting. All the rest are chump change in comparison.

There are endless things that people and businesses are required to do in Arizona to be in "compliance." There are people who exceed the speed limit. You could put a cam in your car and record them doing so and turn them in. I know people who sell at swap meets who don't collect sales tax. People that are there every week, year after year. Like I said why are you so concerned about this one issue of smaller online sellers?
In the case of Walmart, because they are a large online marketplace, the marketplace facilitator law applies, so Walmart must collect the tax on behalf of the sellers. Amazon is doing it for it's third party sellers.

Now what seems wrong with Walmart is that some ZIP codes are being charged sales tax and others are not, even within the same city. This isn't fair to Arizona residents, since it discriminates whether or not to charge sales tax just based on where you live within the state, giving unequal treatment to certain ZIP codes. This is essentially a form of redlining.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:37 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Quote:
Yes, and we're required to never exceed the speed limit on any and every street. How's that working? Why aren't you policing that too? Jeez.

Frankly, I admire the companies which are managing to avoid this sort of ridiculous law, and I admire the efforts of any and all who can manage to reduce the ridiculous tax burden.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Yes, and we're required to never exceed the speed limit on any and every street. How's that working? Why aren't you policing that too? Jeez.

Frankly, I admire the companies which are managing to avoid this sort of ridiculous law, and I admire the efforts of any and all who can manage to reduce the ridiculous tax burden.
Well, I hope you get audited when you file your tax return for unpaid sales tax. Don't agree with the law? Email Congress about it. Nothing you can do about it, and deliberately supporting violators will do nothing to get the law changed.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 06-13-2020 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-13-2020, 10:23 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Quote:
Well, I hope you get audited when you file your tax return for unpaid sales tax.
Snark from the one who's the Stasi block captain, urging violators to be reported so the iron first of the state can come down on them. Time to hit "ignore"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona