Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 09:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times

Advertisements

I don't know squat about water management in AZ, but the way our HOA uses water to irrigate grass properties, seems like it must cost very little, despite the apparent future scarcity of this resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 11:02 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
I don't know squat about water management in AZ, but the way our HOA uses water to irrigate grass properties, seems like it must cost very little, despite the apparent future scarcity of this resource.

Who is in charge of the watering? Landscaper.
Who cuts the grass, shrubs and trees? Landscaper.
Who benefits the most from over watering? Landscaper.

See the pattern?

Old 11-16-2019, 10:25 AM

402 posts, read 611,724 times
The building going on in Prescott area for example is just mind blowing. Palms are getting greased all over the place to allow this to happen. Not single thought about the water.

My advice would be to think very long and hard about entering into a 30 year mortgage in most parts of AZ.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:53 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
When I first moved here, I was shocked at how much farming was done in Arizona. It never made much sense to me,........

People insist upon eating. If there is no food, the population gets cranky.

So, yeah, there are farms in areas where growing crops works well. Stop the farming and the population is going to start to wonder where their food use to come from and why it isn't coming any more.

Dry climate means much less fungus, mold, bugs, and plant disease. Lots of sunshine means faster plant growth., Warm weather allows crops that are cold sensitive.

(information for you city people who don't have a clue about where your food comes from or what it takes to grow it. News flash, the grocery store isn't popping out lettuce from a lettuce machine in the back store room)

Old 11-16-2019, 03:00 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

So, yeah, there are farms in areas where growing crops works well. Stop the farming and the population is going to start to wonder where their food use to come from and why it isn't coming any more.

Dry climate means much less fungus, mold, bugs, and plant disease. Lots of sunshine means faster plant growth., Warm weather allows crops that are cold sensitive.

(information for you city people who don't have a clue about where your food comes from or what it takes to grow it. News flash, the grocery store isn't popping out lettuce from a lettuce machine in the back store room)
Thanks for being snippy. I think he understood completely that food must be grown. I think his point is given the temperature extremes and water issues (which may or may not be as dire as some suggest) that he was surprised at how much farming was done HERE in AZ.

AND - to the point that was brought up here in AZ - COTTON was for the longest time the major AZ crop - I am not eating too much cotton for dinner - but I am glad somebody grows it to allow me to have a comfortable t-shirt.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:54 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You don't say? I'm just a dumb city slicker who thought my food was grown and delivered by magic unicorns. Thanks for dropping some knowledge on me.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:43 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
to the point that was brought up here in AZ - COTTON was for the longest time the major AZ crop - I am not eating too much cotton for dinner - but I am glad somebody grows it to allow me to have a comfortable t-shirt.
comfy T shirts are important..

Old 11-16-2019, 06:31 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
The building going on in Prescott area for example is just mind blowing. Palms are getting greased all over the place to allow this to happen. Not single thought about the water.

My advice would be to think very long and hard about entering into a 30 year mortgage in most parts of AZ.
Let's not forget, some 5-10 years ago, that water reservoir feeding Atlanta, all but dried up during an unusual drought!

Old 11-16-2019, 11:40 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Who is in charge of the watering? Landscaper.
Who cuts the grass, shrubs and trees? Landscaper.
Who benefits the most from over watering? Landscaper.

See the pattern?
Yeah. Well, that's an interesting theory, not heard that before.

I still suspect that in addition to the above conspiracy the water rates also fail to disincentivize this lax use of water.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:36 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
agree; I pay less for water in phoenix, than I did in Chicagoland; even though I am careful with every drop I use out here, it seems unusual to pay less in the desert for water than you do adjacent to one of the largest bodies of water in the world, Lake Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona