Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm sure that will make you feel better when you are dead or seriously injured.
Ehhh, don't worry. Kurt will be OK. He's driving Karen's SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 10:43 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Wrong. The left turner cannot until they give way to the right turner, who has the right of way.
Neither of them needs to give way, though it is a good idea. They are in different lanes. They can both turn into their respective lanes, at the same time. But a good defensive driver would avoid that for obvious reasons.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:28 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Neither of them needs to give way, though it is a good idea. They are in different lanes. They can both turn into their respective lanes, at the same time. But a good defensive driver would avoid that for obvious reasons.
Yes, the left-turner needs to give way to the right-turner. Just because you keep saying something doesn't make it true.

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/00772.htm

Old 12-07-2019, 02:06 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
If I'm turning right then I'm turning right. If I turn right into the left most lane, which is legal given certain conditions, and the person turning left hits me they are at fault, always. If I turn right into the right lane and the moron turning left hits me he is also at fault, always. The only time the left turner may not be at fault is of he has a green arrow and even then good luck as the law says left turners yield to oncoming traffic, always.

The law also applies to people who make u-turns, if you are facing north trying to go south and the guy facing east turns south and you collide then you are at fault because a u-turn is treated as a left turn, even when you have a green.

I would never voluntarily yield my right of way, especially if there are people behind me who could hit me if I stop in the middle of a turn for no good reason. Creating another hazard because you want to avoid one isn't a very smart idea; this is why I don't understand people who swerve to avoid others and swerve right into someone else.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
My conclusion reading the responses is that generally there seem to be many drivers with diverse approaches to left hand turns. It's pretty interesting how many.

Well, as for me, I am going to do two things:
1) wait at the white line for car in front of me to clear, before I enter the intersection for that left turn
2) watch for those Scottsdale speed camera signs, saying there is a photo-radar in 75 yards or whatever.

I been stung twice by that photo-radar, same street!
Not stung yet by any scorpion or bug.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:44 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
If you’re turning left at the same time as someone turning right, you’re in the wrong regardless of which lane each car turns into. On a green light, right turners have the right of way over left turners, meaning the turns are not to take place simultaneously despite some suggestions above.
Quote:
Wrong. The left turner cannot until they give way to the right turner, who has the right of way.
Quote:
Well technically a left turning driver could make legal left turn into the left lane simultaneously to a right turning driver making a legal right turn into the right lane. But that is just fantasy driving. Real life doesn't work that way. Most good drivers would try to avoid being in that situation. Because there is a good chance that either driver could swing wide into the other lane.
And just for kicks, I'll add that in my situation, I had a red light without any turning restrictions for being red (no sign prohibiting right turns on red), I had come to a stop and while the 'other' guy had a green left turn light I did realize as I was creeping into my turn (indicated by turn signals), he was not paying attention. So, I believe he did have the right-of-way, but still broke the law.

But as Clowdy Dayz points out, it is silly to always assume that the 'other' guy is going to obey the law, because even if he had a left turn lane OK, it still states he should finish his left turn in the left lane if there's more than one lane in that direction.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:48 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
My conclusion reading the responses is that generally there seem to be many drivers with diverse approaches to left hand turns. It's pretty interesting how many.

Well, as for me, I am going to do two things:
1) wait at the white line for car in front of me to clear, before I enter the intersection for that left turn
2) watch for those Scottsdale speed camera signs, saying there is a photo-radar in 75 yards or whatever.

I been stung twice by that photo-radar, same street!
Not stung yet by any scorpion or bug.
You need to find the AZ photo-radar spray. It usually has a label that says Krylon or Rustoleum.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:24 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
And just for kicks, I'll add that in my situation, I had a red light without any turning restrictions for being red (no sign prohibiting right turns on red), I had come to a stop and while the 'other' guy had a green left turn light I did realize as I was creeping into my turn (indicated by turn signals), he was not paying attention. So, I believe he did have the right-of-way, but still broke the law.

But as Clowdy Dayz points out, it is silly to always assume that the 'other' guy is going to obey the law, because even if he had a left turn lane OK, it still states he should finish his left turn in the left lane if there's more than one lane in that direction.
Obviously a green turn light has the right of way over someone at a red light.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
You need to find the AZ photo-radar spray. It usually has a label that says Krylon or Rustoleum.

well on that note, I do see drivers with slightly opaque plastic on their license plates.
I think we talked about it once in this forum. Seems pretty sketchy.
In CA they'd pull you over guns drawn.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:30 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
well on that note, I do see drivers with slightly opaque plastic on their license plates.
I think we talked about it once in this forum. Seems pretty sketchy.
In CA they'd pull you over guns drawn.
It is against the law here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona