Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 12:37 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times

Advertisements

OK, seriously, you might like the Flagstaff - Sedona area. It's very touristy, but if you can figure out an income niche it is a great area. We may still move there ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 08:37 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmoses View Post
Hello all, i'm 30 and I'm currently living in new mexico and am starting school in the fall(hopefully covid 19 will be over with). I was thinking about when I get done in a couple of years possibly moving to Arizona. I've visited a few times since I've been here and really like it but it seems like most of the population is clustered in the cities and their suburbs.

I personally have no desire to live in a big city and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice, down-to-earth town(20,000 people or less) that would be a good fit for an ordinary working person like myself. I did however kind of like Yuma but that's as big as I would go in a worse case scenario.
In Lake Havasu (57K pop) we have a good community college and cheap extension of ASU.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:24 PM

558 posts, read 971,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
They could work, but they wouldn't meet the O.P.'s qualifications of being under 20,000. They're considered to be small cities, and they're actually over 100,000 when when you include the surrounding areas.
You could consider one of the outlying communities like Dewey or Chino Valley near Prescott. That way you would have access to "city" amenities and shopping.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:12 PM

344 posts, read 642,790 times
I lived in Las Cruces 7-8 grade at Holy Cross, moved to Tucson. Went in Army, Berlin Brigade, the U of A with a degree in Asian studies and then SE/Asia, wounded not realy bad so then come home. Got married to a Flag girl and we moved around because I was a teacher/coach.
We lived in Kayenta, back in Army for a year, then Ajo (conference Championship, the Globem Bisbee, the Army again for 5 years in 19th Group. Finally setttled in S Vista. Whew.
Looking back I made permanent friends at all places and am in contact with someone from each on this site.
I loved Kayenta, working with the Navajo's was a real adventre but as a Vet I was really welcome. The problem was medical, I understand that that has changed and they have things like a Mall, theatre, regular grocery store, etc. Globe is a really solid community with old fashioned folks who believe in truth, justice, and the American way. Nice but smalish Hspital, solid Dr. Welby Dioctors, several Malls and among the greatest Mexican Food on earth. I am a hero because my football Team beat Miami for the first tiem in 7 years. i taught at both Globe High School and summer at San Carlos. I'm very close with the Sneazy family who are Honchos with the Apache.
I went to Bisbee after another tour of duty and lived there for 2 years. My son's loved the schools and I love the Taylor family who are solid VERY tough pioneers. Nearly everyone I know is in a mixed race family including my oldest son.
We moved to Sierra Vista because i couldn't get that damn uniform off and went into the 19th SF Group so i could cobine adventures all of the world and come back to a school (Buena) which frankly was the worst district I was in. However S Vista itwelf is a pretty darn nice Community.
If I were in your position I cold live in any of these places,
Oh I for got about Ajo. I lived there when the mines were going strong and got paid inough that my wife could stay at home and raise the kids. Frankly in some ways I love the place more than any but it has lost a lot. However we bought a place on the beach at LaCholla for $3K and still have it. Ajo has a 1000 yeard shooting range tht I use 3-4 times a year and one of my closest friends has moved back there so he and his wife can go to Rocky Point and live there back and forth.

So which one???? I don't know what your skills are, if you are a teacher I found that smaller districts ane Much more fun that toh bigger ones. If you aren't married you will soon be if you live in a smaller community, All of my single friends in each place was married to a solid woman who for the most part can carry the ball when needed. NO divorces from any of them, vs at least half of my friends at Buena, Tucson District and Flagstaff have split up.
One of the problems with small towns is keeping a job, for example Ajo paid big money from Phelps Dodge and now jobs are scarce. If you are a Teacher, Skilled worker like welder, of Mafia person hiding out in a small town you should be able to move to another decent situation.

Hey, my wife ijust had Spinal surgery in Tucson and I pick her up tomorrow after 20 days so I just wanted to ramble a bit.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:01 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
My situation is a little different as I could easily transfer to yuma or other small arizona towns with my current employer even without having to complete my degree. I'm lucky to work for who I work for in some ways that way. I do understand the sentiment though.
With that flexibility I suggest looking at Bisbee, for an even smaller town Patagonia is nice.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:57 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Hey, my wife ijust had Spinal surgery in Tucson and I pick her up tomorrow after 20 days so I just wanted to ramble a bit.

Man, Salpointe59, you're welcome to ramble when you post good, informative posts like the above. You speak about the most pertinent Arizona towns you've lived in and recommend them to others. That's one of the great reasons for utilizing city-data.com, eh?

Old 04-06-2020, 12:31 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Cottonwood?
What will you be doing for a living? That will help determine where you can live!

Edit: oops, I see that you stated that above.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I second this. That whole area should be avoided. It receives mountains of snow in the winter, in the summer the whole place burns down. There's no jobs. Then there's those tourists and retired people who clog up the roads. Not to mention the elk and deer will eat your garden, and the BEARS, oh my!

And on top of everything else that makes it a terrible place... TeddyEarp lives there!
Hello,

I am getting this comment is in jest?

I am considering the area to retire eventually...the only comment you made that concerns me is the forest fire activity/risk?

I live in a snowy winter, wild animal infested area currently so not worried about those things...

Old 04-20-2020, 06:57 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Nope, he's right, teddyearp lives here.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:44 PM

656 posts, read 813,176 times
Quote:
Hello all, i'm 30 and I'm currently living in new mexico and am starting school in the fall(hopefully covid 19 will be over with). I was thinking about when I get done in a couple of years possibly moving to Arizona. I've visited a few times since I've been here and really like it but it seems like most of the population is clustered in the cities and their suburbs.

I personally have no desire to live in a big city and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice, down-to-earth town(20,000 people or less) that would be a good fit for an ordinary working person like myself. I did however kind of like Yuma but that's as big as I would go in a worse case scenario.

Arizona is like New Mexico : two big metros surrounded by LOTS of land and sprinkled with little remote towns, mostly dying.

(Although I have never found anything in AZ as sad as Lordsburg.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona