Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 06:42 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,279 times

Advertisements

You folks flocking to the forests to not practice distancing this weekend can leave the smores ingredients home. The Forest Service has banned ALL open fires in National Forests state-wide starting today.

https://gcmaz.com/u-s-forest-service...J1JpL37itsI_HM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 09:29 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Just wait, they will be closing the forests before Memorial Day. All the rain they had this year and the run up to 100 this weekend is going to dry everything out up there. Get ready for wildfire season.

That being said...if you are hell bent on going camping, please please please leave it better than you found it. There is growing animosity in the High Country towards "flatlanders" coming up and invading "their" forests, buying all their supplies in "their" grocery stores and then trashing everything.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Just wait, they will be closing the forests before Memorial Day. All the rain they had this year and the run up to 100 this weekend is going to dry everything out up there. Get ready for wildfire season.

That being said...if you are hell bent on going camping, please please please leave it better than you found it. There is growing animosity in the High Country towards "flatlanders" coming up and invading "their" forests, buying all their supplies in "their" grocery stores and then trashing everything.

The Northerners don't seem to mind the money they make of us "flatlander"

All kidding aside, I normally pack in extra trash bags just to take trash out that I did not create. It used to be really bad at places like Fossil Creek but since they instituted the permit requirement it's better. Sad to say but people can't be responsible for their own crap. Everyone complains about things like permitting restricting access but actions taken clearly show that's the only way it works without completely destroying natural beauty.

I'm hoping for a mild fire season and an early and wet monsoon season but I do say that every year. At the end of the day wildfires are part of our life.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:34 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,275,478 times
Quote:

They're probably jealous of all the teeth we have, we're real showboats with full mouths of teeth

Old 04-22-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
The Northerners don't seem to mind the money they make of us "flatlander"
Oh I completely understand...pretty sure most of the gateway communities would curl up and die if not for money coming from tourism. You should see some of the conversations on FB groups I am part of.

That being said...this is a campsite that was occupied last week and they left it like this. They cut down live trees, left a lean-to open latrine...just disgusting.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:28 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
My favorite camp spot up near Payson was finally shut down. Right next to a running stream and a perfect place to relax. But only 10 yards off the road and every time I went, I would have to clean up after whoever had been there the day before. Trash, people carving into the trees, fire pits still smoldering. Last time I was up there I commented to my friends that we need to enjoy this weekend, my guess is the Forest Service shuts this site down by next summer. Sure enough I was correct.

One of the campsites the Forest Service shut down they installed split rail fence to keep people away. So what did people do? Tear down the fence to use for firewood and four wheel over the berm put in place to keep people out.

It's getting tough to find anything decent anymore within a few hours drive of Phoenix or Tucson.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
My favorite camp spot up near Payson was finally shut down. Right next to a running stream and a perfect place to relax. But only 10 yards off the road and every time I went, I would have to clean up after whoever had been there the day before. Trash, people carving into the trees, fire pits still smoldering. Last time I was up there I commented to my friends that we need to enjoy this weekend, my guess is the Forest Service shuts this site down by next summer. Sure enough I was correct.

One of the campsites the Forest Service shut down they installed split rail fence to keep people away. So what did people do? Tear down the fence to use for firewood and four wheel over the berm put in place to keep people out.

It's getting tough to find anything decent anymore within a few hours drive of Phoenix or Tucson.
Is that the one up past Water Wheel 3? If it is the one I am thinking of, yes that is a nice spot and it regularly gets trashed.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:08 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,586 times
Quote:

Yes, my wife worked for the Forest Service in Sierra Vista and Safford. I was already retired and I did volunteer work for them doing light maintenance and working campgrounds enforcing rules at times.
I put out many illegal fires when restrictions were in place and many were attended.
And you are correct, many leave the area trashed with garbage!
I had one guy on top of the mountain over in Safford threaten me because I put out his illegal unattended charcoal fire. He started to get into my face and had his fists formed and I showed him I was carrying a pistol and that it was a bad idea. Now the Forest Service did not know nor would they have approved of me carrying. But enforcement at times without some backup is a little tough and I don't like being beaten by some drunk!
After that clown backed off I used my FS walkie talkie I was carrying and called for a Law Enforcement type to come to the campground. The clown also threatened the LE officer which came close to resulting in his arrest.
I was later informed that he fines that the local judge imposed were very high for multiple offenses.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:00 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
Quote:
Is that the one up past Water Wheel 3? If it is the one I am thinking of, yes that is a nice spot and it regularly gets trashed.
Yep, it was officially closed off for good last year. They slowly closed off a site or two every year until they pulled the plug on any campsite within so many feet of water.

I'd always chat with the volunteer firefighters that checked up on campsites. One year he told me he found 32 unattended fires with either flames or hot coals over Memorial Day weekend.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Yep, it was officially closed off for good last year. They slowly closed off a site or two every year until they pulled the plug on any campsite within so many feet of water.

I'd always chat with the volunteer firefighters that checked up on campsites. One year he told me he found 32 unattended fires with either flames or hot coals over Memorial Day weekend.
My FIL was on the Posse up there and, on that site, someone had left a tent. They thought it was weird that there was just a tent with no cars or other camping equipment around it so they checked back a couple of days later. Same thing, just a tent, so they went to go see what was up. Someone had cut out the bottom of the tent, dug a hole and used it as an open latrine. When they packed up, they just left the tent and didn't cover over their filth.

I always thought it was funny that the ranchers up stream would shut the creek down on the weekends when there were too many people camping on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona