U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 11:42 AM

2,097 posts, read 2,014,576 times

Advertisements

This is not good. I remember when Reagan decided to circumvent the fifth amendment in one of his 'strikes' for the war on drugs. It says, ", and private property shall not be taken for public use without just compensation." There is no 'adder' that says, "unless we think you committed crimes to get your property."

I wish I had not let this go under my radar. As a member of the AzCDL, I have been signed up with the AZ State right to speak portal and as such can directly speak to/give my yeah/nay directly to my rep(s) on any bill. I highly suggest as many as wish to do the same.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 12:28 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,130,766 times
Its interesting how Democrats in Arizona are all holding out on abolishing Civil Assets Forfeiture while their Democrat supermajority neighbor California had made civil asset forfeiture illegal for quite a while now. I be curious whether this is one of the reasons keeping California transplants from moving to Arizona. Though how the Democrats of the two states think so differently is a mystery. As I thought Democrats think alike and always like to money grab whether in form of taxes or something else. Though any attempt to circumnavigate the constitution even COVID19 is equally concerning and should never be tolerated by the voting public.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:28 PM

5,142 posts, read 2,666,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
This is not good. I remember when Reagan decided to circumvent the fifth amendment in one of his 'strikes' for the war on drugs. It says, ", and private property shall not be taken for public use without just compensation." There is no 'adder' that says, "unless we think you committed crimes to get your property."

I wish I had not let this go under my radar. As a member of the AzCDL, I have been signed up with the AZ State right to speak portal and as such can directly speak to/give my yeah/nay directly to my rep(s) on any bill. I highly suggest as many as wish to do the same.
Same here brother!

Old 05-29-2020, 02:37 PM

5,142 posts, read 2,666,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Most people assume that its taking away money from drug dealers and they assume it does not effect them personally. But for the most part they really do not think much about the issue at all. I agree the word needs to get out there.

What is scary is from your link on reason that with the almost certain budget problems all states are going to face, asset forfeiture becomes more popular with state governments. This Arizona vote is a perfect example. But I don't believe allowing the police to steal from people "legally" is the way shore up budget deficits.
That is indeed a major problem! A lot of laws are passed as a "knee jerk" reaction to a non existent problem.

“What good fortune for governments that the people do not think.” -- AH

Old 05-29-2020, 09:49 PM

3,809 posts, read 1,474,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Niether is charging outrageous fines for traffic offenses..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am sure traffic fines will be rising soon also.

Traffic fines = more money for cronies.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:44 PM

5,784 posts, read 7,348,117 times
Where the bureaucrats continue to fail there may be some hope in the courts.

https://reason.com/2020/08/21/the-co...arijuana-sale/

Old 08-22-2020, 03:36 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,149,454 times
What gives the government the right to seize someones private property that they didn't commit a crime in? Similar to being guilty until proven innocent without due process in the court system. Why are politicians in this state against reform?

The state needs to fix its civil asset forfeiture laws. Thank you for sharing the link, more people need to read it.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:47 PM

245 posts, read 259,161 times
If you have an uninsured car for sale that is in private storage DO NOT let anyone convince you to let them test drive it. As drivers we may be insured but if a vehicle is legally "de-insured" do not let them take it on a public street. Your tags may be ok but without insurance it can be impounded with big fines. You will pay no matter who is driving. I have a 2 seater for sale (for half the value of it) with the "no test drive" in the ad. Some guy and girlfriend showed up and kept giving me a hard time about a test drive. He kept saying that both of them would take it for a ride and I asked him about (not going to happen) him and I going and he said it had to be her. The whole thing was obviously wrong. I thought they were going to steal it but maybe after reading this it was a case of "lets get it" and make him pay to get it back. I`m been playing with cars (legally) for over 50 years and it never ceases to amaze me what people will do instead of just being honest. We work for it and hey let`s just give it to you.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:30 AM

3,809 posts, read 1,474,315 times
Civil forfeiture = More money for cronies.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:58 PM

5,784 posts, read 7,348,117 times
Pima County folded under the threat of litigation (albeit a likely tactical fold). Kevin McBride got his Jeep back.

https://reason.com/2020/08/27/tucson...he-forfeiture/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona