Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 12:40 PM

27 posts, read 31,474 times

Advertisements

I'm a 63 year old, retired man. I've been looking around the country for a quiet, cheap place to coast to the finish line. I like to be fairly isolated. I'm up north now so cold doesn't really bother me, but I prefer not. I'm very simple and don't carry debt or boatloads of stuff, so a small house is the ideal. A workshop would be awesome.

Initially I was looking in Southern States, because I could pay cash for a cottage, but in other areas, I'd have to rent. I'm guessing in Bisbee would the case.

All the profiles of Bisbee look like it's a place I could enjoy. I've traveled around AZ a bit and I like what I see. I couldn't find many listings of places to rent. There were some bigger places I found, but little that is small. Anyone have an idea where I could get more listings? A classified section? Any Bisbeeites on the board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,229,657 times
Have you looked here ? Bisbee and surrounding areas.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-18-2020, 06:18 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,924,637 times
Bisbee is a neat town. It's not isolated. Old Bisbee will be more costly and Warren more affordable. You'll be in close proximity to others. Good small town vibe but in the hippie side.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:42 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,856,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyPossibility7 View Post
I'm a 63 year old, retired man. I've been looking around the country for a quiet, cheap place to coast to the finish line. I like to be fairly isolated. I'm up north now so cold doesn't really bother me, but I prefer not. I'm very simple and don't carry debt or boatloads of stuff, so a small house is the ideal. A workshop would be awesome.

Initially I was looking in Southern States, because I could pay cash for a cottage, but in other areas, I'd have to rent. I'm guessing in Bisbee would the case.

All the profiles of Bisbee look like it's a place I could enjoy. I've traveled around AZ a bit and I like what I see. I couldn't find many listings of places to rent. There were some bigger places I found, but little that is small. Anyone have an idea where I could get more listings? A classified section? Any Bisbeeites on the board?

Not a lot of officially listed rentals in Bisbee. It's not that kind of town.

Have you looked at Texas? El Paso was high on my list for many years.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Bisbee is a neat town. It's not isolated. Old Bisbee will be more costly and Warren more affordable. You'll be in close proximity to others. Good small town vibe but in the hippie side.

I'm pretty clean cut, but on the alternative side - in the vein of live and let live, so the hippie aspect is a good fit for me. A lot of places that have a quirky vibe have been taken over by money people, gentrified and become unaffordable. Bisbee seems not to be that way yet, though I did see some very expensive houses for sale, so....

Last edited by GrouchyPossibility7; 06-19-2020 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-19-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Not a lot of officially listed rentals in Bisbee. It's not that kind of town.

Have you looked at Texas? El Paso was high on my list for many years.

I've only driven through El Paso a few times. It gives me the impression of being hot and dusty and busy. I stopped for gas in Fort Davis TX and that looked like a pretty cool little town, though very hot. I'm a fan of isolation so that would be closer to what I'm after than El Paso. But, yeah, I've seen quite a few little houses for sale in East Texas, some with a bit of land, that are in my budget if I were to buy.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:12 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,924,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyPossibility7 View Post
I'm pretty clean cut, but on the alternative side - in the vein of live and let live, so the hippie aspect is a good fit for me. A lot of places that have a quirky vibe have been taken over by money people, gentrified and become unaffordable. Bisbee seems not to be that way yet, though I did see some very expensive houses for sale, so....
Old Bisbee is where you're going to find the money. Warren is where you will find Doug Stanhope.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:25 PM

656 posts, read 806,466 times
Quaint, but small and isolated and limited services. The biggest employer in town in welfare. Petty crime abounds. Gotta drive to Sierra Vista for anything. But don't give up on Southeast Arizona, one of the best places in the state and not destroyed yet by newcomers.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:39 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,659,789 times
If I were the OP I would be looking at Sierra Vista or the Hereford area rather than Bisbee.
At times Bisbee is overrun with tourists.
My wife was born in Tombstone and we have lived in the area many times over the years with my military service and her job with the Forest Service at Sierra Vista.
Now retired and living in Prescott Valley to stay out of the wind and heat.
Good luck OM.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,862,390 times
Sounds like Bisbee would be a good fit for you. If you cant find housing you may need to give Sierra Vista a try. It's not a as cool/quirky as Bisbee but it's nice. A search on realtor.com didnt yield much so you may be stuck purchasing.

You might also look at Patagonia. It's smaller then Bisbee and even more isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona