Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 08:48 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSRQ View Post
Thanks for your response. We do not have to report to an office. We work for ourselves. We trade stocks so we do need an internet connection but it's not like we sit and watch the tickers all day.

We do want to buy a large amount of land 100-200 acres so I will look around the areas you suggested. I think 4,000 ft in elevation would be nice, temperature-wise. I'm OK with not having a long growing season. Just being able to have a garden will be a major plus for me.

It's funny you mentioned New Mexico. We did look into New Mexico but decided against it because of taxes and it is a Liberal run state. Normally it wouldn't be an issue for me but with watching how the COV was handled with the lockdowns and then these riots that are just allowed to run wild, I really want to be in a state that the Gov's are not going rule with an iron thumb of the residents but turn a blind eye to the rioters. We have friends in Nevada that were locked down for months and then had rioters come from Vegas and were in their neighborhood with intentions of smashing all the cars, starting them on fire,etc. I just don't want to be around all that drama.

I do appreciate all your advice. I am going to look into each area.

Thanks!!!
You would like the Prescott area. Great weather, conservative politics....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 09:55 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
LOL OMG what is the "world's largest truck stop"?? Is that a place? OK so if it is, I know I don't want to be living near there!
Just our little descriptor of Payson. It sits on the intersection of SH87 (Beeline Highway) and SH260. This is the closest gateway to the Forest for most East Valley (Phoenix) residents. Every Thurs/Fri/Sat there is a constant flow of traffic North through Payson and onto SH260 to get up to the Mogollon Rim, camping, lakes, etc. Every Sun/Mon the traffic reverses as all the Cityits/Flatlanders leave their trash and feces all over the forest and go back to the Valley.

There is a reason Payson has ~80 restaurants in a town of 15k people, many of them "fast food". They rely on drive thru traffic.

They have one Internet trunk that comes into town thru Strawberry. When that goes down (as it does from time to time) the whole town loses connection to the outside world. Cell towers, POS systems at stores, residential and business connectivity...gone until the fiber gets repaired. There has been some improvement here in the recent past but it has been a battle for years.

The Hospital is a Banner Health facility with about 30 beds. They can handle some emergencies but for the most part...if you get injured or need specialty care, you are going to the Valley. If it is urgent, you get to take a helicopter ride ($$$) which is why a lot of residents carry a membership/insurance agreement with PHI Air (the medical helicopter company that the hospital uses).

Basically...for the land you are looking for and the amenities you stated...Payson is not the place.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:20 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The worst mistake that many people make in going to a new area they don't know well is to buy a home or other real estate. If you are interested in an area, find a place to rent for awhile, 3-6 months maybe, and explore from there. grmi66 gives some good location suggestions above, but that is just general info. You need to do some on the ground research.

It is also not easy to work from home (assumes high speed internet needed) while at the same time wanting to live far away from a city in secluded mountains. High speed internet in most rural areas of the USA is not widely available.

This rent for a year or two. Get to know the area.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response. We do not have to report to an office. We work for ourselves. We trade stocks so we do need an internet connection but it's not like we sit and watch the tickers all day.

We do want to buy a large amount of land 100-200 acres so I will look around the areas you suggested. I think 4,000 ft in elevation would be nice, temperature-wise. I'm OK with not having a long growing season. Just being able to have a garden will be a major plus for me.

It's funny you mentioned New Mexico. We did look into New Mexico but decided against it because of taxes and it is a Liberal run state. Normally it wouldn't be an issue for me but with watching how the COV was handled with the lockdowns and then these riots that are just allowed to run wild, I really want to be in a state that the Gov's are not going rule with an iron thumb of the residents but turn a blind eye to the rioters. We have friends in Nevada that were locked down for months and then had rioters come from Vegas and were in their neighborhood with intentions of smashing all the cars, starting them on fire,etc. I just don't want to be around all that drama.

I do appreciate all your advice. I am going to look into each area.

Thanks!!!
The results speak for themselves. New Mexico has managed the pandemic far better than Arizona has. Our governor had announced a staged reopening plan only to toss it in the trash and throw the state's doors open the very day Trump showed up to look at mask manufacturing. As for the riots, he imposed an unnecessary STATEWIDE curfew at the behest of "local leaders" of one Phoenix suburb where looters raided an upscale mall. Since his rash reopening, our COVID numbers have exploded, and he had to close bars, gyms and water parks again yesterday. There is a LOT less "drama" in New Mexico, believe me.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:13 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The results speak for themselves. New Mexico has managed the pandemic far better than Arizona has. Our governor had announced a staged reopening plan only to toss it in the trash and throw the state's doors open the very day Trump showed up to look at mask manufacturing. As for the riots, he imposed an unnecessary STATEWIDE curfew at the behest of "local leaders" of one Phoenix suburb where looters raided an upscale mall. Since his rash reopening, our COVID numbers have exploded, and he had to close bars, gyms and water parks again yesterday. There is a LOT less "drama" in New Mexico, believe me.
Yep.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:51 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Take it for what it's worth, but lived in Silver City NM for a while two decades ago. The hippies range from artists to gun-toting, pot smoking farmers along with a smattering of liberal academics at the small university that is there. Then you have the conservative bloc of ranchers and miners. Add in the Hispanics who have been in the area for over two hundred years that have a pretty unique culture and make the culinary scene if you like hot, spicy food a fantastic place. Seemed to me that not one group had enough people to control southern NM, so the politics made strange bedfellows. The dating scene was interesting as well, I'd see gun loving cowboys paired up with Grateful Dead groupies.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:

It's funny you mentioned New Mexico. We did look into New Mexico but decided against it because of taxes and it is a Liberal run state. Normally it wouldn't be an issue for me but with watching how the COV was handled with the lockdowns and then these riots that are just allowed to run wild, I really want to be in a state that the Gov's are not going rule with an iron thumb of the residents but turn a blind eye to the rioters.
Hate to say it but Arizona is likely to have two democrat senators after November and with the way things are changing here a Democrat governor next time around is a possibility.

How about Utah? Southern Utah has similar weather to Northern Arizona and they won't be turning blue anytime soon.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
If you're looking for some bigger acreage and not afraid of being near the border I'd suggest Nogales, Patagonia, Rio Rico, Tubac, Arivaca areas. All our South of Tucson, maybe 45 minutes to 90 minute drive.

I like the higher elevation, keeps the temps reasonable in the summer and depending on how where you sit will have very little (if any) snow and freezing temps.

I purchased in Rio Rico 2 years ago and still track properties that come on the market, there is some beautiful big places with large acreage that pops up and sits unsold for a lengthy time.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:00 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think you will find it difficult to find 100-200 acres in a desirable area (creeks, wildlife, internet connection, etc). A lot of AZ land is government-owned, and the nice areas that aren't are quickly picked up by developers. Good luck, though.
I think that you are right. Even if they could find that much land it may be too isolated from everything? They may not have much of a social life. Shopping and running errands could be an hours drive each way. Then there's the issue of a medical or any type of emergency situation. Water could also be an issue.

Our favorite place in all of Arizona is the Sonoran Desert, it's iconic and screams ARIZONA. There's no place like it on the face of the earth. As much as we love going out into the middle of nowhere and have often thought of how great it would be to live there, we took all of that into consideration before we moved.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think you will find it difficult to find 100-200 acres in a desirable area (creeks, wildlife, internet connection, etc).

Pshaw! Though it may take a bit of development, here's an awesome 114 acres for sale right in the midst of the forest, and in sight of Porter Mountain, meaning pretty excellent cell signal! It is not at all that far from 'town' but far enough away for you to get quite a bit of quiet. I think you may be a good fit for us on the mountain (Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside).

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-11891?view=qv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona