Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 08:26 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times

Advertisements

OK. I have made it pretty plain that I do not trust the 24/7 news cycle where they trot out one 'expert' after another to tell me one thing just to tell me another the next day or week. You know my posts are about the numbers, the same numbers that the news uses. I also include links to my source material. So, let's look at the numbers:

June 1. Total tests: 228,070. Positives: 20,123. Rate: 8.82%
June 18. Total tests: 379,732. Positives: 43,443. Rate: 11.44%
July 1. Total tests: 549,546. Positives: 84,092. Rate: 15.3%
July 15. Total tests: 735,962. Positives: 131,354. Rate: 17.85%
Aug 3. Total tests: 964,418. Positives: 179,497. Rate: 18.61%

So, now within two months, the infection rate has doubled, yet I haven't seen much discussion about this.

Source: https://covidtracking.com/data/state/arizona

And those are just the plain bare verifiable facts of how it is. My name is teddyearp just seeking sanity and truth.

p.s. when did the mask mandates start? I mean it is kind of an alarming trend considering the timing. Here's a list and some dates:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/li...k-requirements

Last edited by teddyearp; 08-04-2020 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: You're right. I don't do the news. Fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 09:12 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
OK. I have made it pretty plain that I do not trust the 24/7 news cycle where they trot out one 'expert' after another to tell me one thing just to tell me another the next day or week. You know my posts are about the numbers, the same numbers that the news uses. I also include links to my source material. So, let's look at the numbers:

June 1. Total tests: 228,070. Positives: 20,123. Rate: 8.82%
June 18. Total tests: 379,732. Positives: 43,443. Rate: 11.44%
July 1. Total tests: 549,546. Positives: 84,092. Rate: 15.3%
July 15. Total tests: 735,962. Positives: 131,354. Rate: 17.85%
Aug 3. Total tests: 964,418. Positives: 179,497. Rate: 18.61%

So, now within two months, the infection rate has doubled and we hear nothing of this in the news.

Source: https://covidtracking.com/data/state/arizona

And those are just the plain bare verifiable facts of how it is. My name is teddyearp just seeking sanity and truth.

p.s. when did the mask mandates start? I mean it is kind of an alarming trend considering the timing. Here's a list and some dates:

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/li...k-requirements
What are you talking about. I have read articles about this very topic almost daily.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What are you talking about. I have read articles about this very topic almost daily.
LOL, right?! Every week Ducey mentions the rate of positivity in his presser and it is then covered in every story about it. People are so desperate to uncover a conspiracy that they selectively ignore facts.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:20 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
This is hilarious. You do not trust the "24/7 news cycle", yet you trot out a far-left source (The Atlantic).

Try getting the numbers directly from AZ DHS. AZCentral (aka The Arizona Republic) reported yesterday:

The state's positivity rate, or the number of tests coming back positive, was 11% of known tests last week. Arizona's positivity rate of more than 25% in July — pegged by Johns Hopkins University as the highest in the country at the time — raised concerns. Positivity rate indicates the level of community spread, and a high percentage is a sign that more testing is needed.

The World Health Organization says that one sign that the epidemic is controlled is when the percent positive is less than 5% for at least two weeks, assuming comprehensive testing.

Arizona is improving, but it isn't there yet.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:20 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
OP, does this mean you no longer consider it the 'Controlyavirus'?

PS...

We don't have a statewide mask mandate because Ducey is hasn't seen fit to require one and has passed the buck to cities and counties, so as to when or if it started...that varies based on where in AZ you happen to be at any given time.

Last edited by johnp292; 08-04-2020 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: less political

Old 08-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, right?! Every week Ducey mentions the rate of positivity in his presser and it is then covered in every story about it. People are so desperate to uncover a conspiracy that they selectively ignore facts.
You got me. Fixed my post. Oh, what conspiracy? And I posted nothing but facts.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This is hilarious. You do not trust the "24/7 news cycle", yet you trot out a far-left source (The Atlantic).

Try getting the numbers directly from AZ DHS. AZCentral (aka The Arizona Republic) reported yesterday:

The state's positivity rate, or the number of tests coming back positive, was 11% of known tests last week. Arizona's positivity rate of more than 25% in July — pegged by Johns Hopkins University as the highest in the country at the time — raised concerns. Positivity rate indicates the level of community spread, and a high percentage is a sign that more testing is needed.

The World Health Organization says that one sign that the epidemic is controlled is when the percent positive is less than 5% for at least two weeks, assuming comprehensive testing.

Arizona is improving, but it isn't there yet.
Please tell me which of my links goes to The Atlantic. If you did actually go to the link where I get my numbers, they do get them right from AZ DHS. Click on the time links for each date and it will take you right to AZ DHS info. In fact, the numbers YOU posted are incorrect. Try getting them directly from AZ DHS instead of letting a news source tell you what they said.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Please tell me which of my links goes to The Atlantic. If you did actually go to the link where I get my numbers, they do get them right from AZ DHS. Click on the time links for each date and it will take you right to AZ DHS info. In fact, the numbers YOU posted are incorrect. Try getting them directly from AZ DHS instead of letting a news source tell you what they said.
Wow. I wonder if you actually clicked the link you provided:

What exactly is the point of this thread? That the media isn’t reporting an increase in positivity rates? They are.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
OP, does this mean you no longer consider it the 'Controlyavirus'?

PS...

We don't have a statewide mask mandate because Ducey is hasn't seen fit to require one and has passed the buck to cities and counties, so as to when or if it started...that varies based on where in AZ you happen to be at any given time.
Nope, I still consider it the Controlyavirus. I never said we had a statewide mask mandate. I am fully aware of Ducey allowing local agencies to make decisions based upon local conditions instead of heavy handing statewide mandates that may not befit the entire state. My second link pretty much spelled that out.

Gosh. Why have just about everyone of you posted that I wrote something that I clearly did not? It is there in plain English for all to read. I have run into that when debating things with others, and it seems to be quite a tactic when dealing with folks of certain political leanings. I have also found that those same leaning type people of late have taken any information that may blow holes in their narrative and just dismiss it as a conspiracy theory; even when there is no conspiracy, the facts are plainly there for all to see for themselves. Nothing is hidden these days.

And how about the eight hundred pound gorilla in the room?

Old 08-04-2020, 10:01 AM

475 posts, read 318,328 times
Quote:
What's your point? Mandating masks hasn't guaranteed compliance by the general population.

Unless you have data that shows how many people diagnosed with the virus wore masks vs those who didn't, how many people with the virus visited restaurants, bars, etc. how often, how long were they around people not wearing masks or vice versa, how many never left their home etc. etc. etc. the statistics are nothing more than numbers that show how contagious the virus is and how quickly it can spread given the right circumstances...it has nothing to do with mandates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: