U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 12:24 AM

1,014 posts, read 851,527 times

Advertisements

Look at Arizona state map. Most of the biggest cities and population are located in a C shape freeway/highway (from Navajo Reservation, circling down counter-clockwise, to Douglas, AZ). Holbrook, AZ is the only city missing and accidentally forgotten to build. It's a great location with terrific weather, all flat-land around for miles and miles surrounding. I like how the roads pointing down south a little and away from Navajo Reservation in the north, so you can easily build a beltway freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...4d-111.0937311

Maybe I will build a new big city here, someday, starting with a Burning Man event to attract tourists at first, then build one hotel non-gambling resort, and finally new housing starting as low as $119,000, but it will appreciate in value very-fast due to superior weather. Weather is almost similar to Albuquerque, NM type. Good times are ahead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 05:41 PM

3,403 posts, read 8,551,105 times
Don't forget the little detail about availability of water. The surrounding terrain has little or no vegetation for a reason (lack of rain), and there are no large rivers or lakes in the area. The coal burning power plant just west of Holbrook pumps all the water it can out of the tiny Little Colorado basin to keep the steam generators turning. Whatever water is left after that, I am willing to bet that someone already has rights to it.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:46 PM

2,305 posts, read 4,718,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Don't forget the little detail about availability of water. The surrounding terrain has little or no vegetation for a reason (lack of rain), and there are no large rivers or lakes in the area. The coal burning power plant just west of Holbrook pumps all the water it can out of the tiny Little Colorado basin to keep the steam generators turning. Whatever water is left after that, I am willing to bet that someone already has rights to it.
And just like that, the perfect plan came to an end. The Greatest City That Never Was.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:40 PM

7,951 posts, read 13,739,490 times
Good luck with the financing.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
There is plenty of water. Flagstaff, AZ mountain area and surrounding can transport water. Holbrook, AZ is also not too far away from Show Low, AZ and Snowflake, AZ, both of them continue to be fast-growing cities, also with lots of water, but I don't see any benefits with Show Low and Snowflake, since they're not on freeway 40 directly.

Last edited by waltchan; 08-18-2020 at 09:51 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 10:52 PM

7,798 posts, read 5,178,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
There is plenty of water. Flagstaff, AZ mountain area and surrounding can transport water. Holbrook, AZ is also not too far away from Show Low, AZ and Snowflake, AZ, both of them continue to be fast-growing cities, also with lots of water, but I don't see any benefits with Show Low and Snowflake, since they're not on freeway 40 directly.
Mountain setting and being in a forest for starters.

Also, not plenty of water. Do explain how Flagstaff can transport water to the third largest city in the state

Old 08-19-2020, 12:35 AM

5,699 posts, read 7,205,436 times
Build a Tim Horton's and the Canadians will come.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 7,885,522 times
Water - why worry about water? Nobody in the west worries about water. I say, "Build it and they will come!" Then the govt will have no choice but to build an aqueduct or pipe water from, somewhere, to service the new city.

Would Los Angeles or Phoenix or Tucson have been built if they had water? See, nobody worries about it and in the end there's always enough for everyone. Besides there's "Meteor Crater," they could fill it up and there'd be plenty of water! See, it'll all work out!

Sign me up for a city block downtown on Main Street! "Mable pack the kids, we're gonna be rich!"

Old 08-19-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Water - why worry about water? Nobody in the west worries about water. I say, "Build it and they will come!" Then the govt will have no choice but to build an aqueduct or pipe water from, somewhere, to service the new city.

Would Los Angeles or Phoenix or Tucson have been built if they had water? See, nobody worries about it and in the end there's always enough for everyone. Besides there's "Meteor Crater," they could fill it up and there'd be plenty of water! See, it'll all work out!

Sign me up for a city block downtown on Main Street! "Mable pack the kids, we're gonna be rich!"
I would worry about Phoenix running out of water before Holbrook.

Oh yes, "Build it and they will come." I'm not worried, since Holbrook is at a terrific location on Interstate 40 directly. New Burning Man like event made out of semi-permanent tents is for starters, before we can build up permanent homes. Jobs availability no longer the biggest issue now, since more people are now working from home, due to COVID-19. We're going to live independently like nomad-tribe people.

It's possible to build a no-mans land new belt-way freeway surrounding Holbrook that no one will use yet, with Joseph City, AZ at the farthest west with direct off-ramp stop.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:02 AM

2,541 posts, read 1,526,955 times
You have some very irresponsible and impractical ideas.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/neva...h-between.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona