Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 04:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times

Advertisements

BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET will dictate this choice a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 09:24 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
This is true but if you want to go to North Phoenix or the West side (Arrowhead, Glendale, Peoria, etc) or beyond then it will be closer to 90 plus minutes. Still a nice drive though once you get to Fountain Hills. I love Payson. I also have a place in Tempe so yes, about an hour and 10 minute drive for us.

About how much time would you add during the summer when there is a traffic jam on that Beeline intersection in Payson? It gets really long there sometimes in the summer when Phoenicians go to the Mogollon Rim en masse to escape the heat.

As for the OP, there are small communities east of Jerome just off of I-17 that is probably around an "hour" from North Phoenix given how fast people drive on that stretch. It's still in the general region near Prescott but very close to the freeway. I noticed a fair amount of homes and businesses on that highway.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:26 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
About how much time would you add during the summer when there is a traffic jam on that Beeline intersection in Payson? It gets really long there sometimes in the summer when Phoenicians go to the Mogollon Rim en masse to escape the heat.
We have learned very quickly when we bought our place 6 years ago that you really must drive up to Payson by Thursday at the latest and return to the valley on Monday or Tuesday to avoid all the traffic. Also we are now experts on using the back streets to get around town on the weekends. It is a madhouse with most people just passing through to other destinations farther down the road.

We have very flexible schedules right now and have actually been living up here since the end of March (DH works from home and I'm self employed) with occasional trips down to Tempe.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:19 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
We have learned very quickly when we bought our place 6 years ago that you really must drive up to Payson by Thursday at the latest and return to the valley on Monday or Tuesday to avoid all the traffic. Also we are now experts on using the back streets to get around town on the weekends. It is a madhouse with most people just passing through to other destinations farther down the road.

We have very flexible schedules right now and have actually been living up here since the end of March (DH works from home and I'm self employed) with occasional trips down to Tempe.
It is even worse right now with SR60 shut down on the East side of Globe going to Show Low. They HAVE to go through Payson.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:16 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times
You stated you worked in healthcare. I would say that let's Payson out as there is not much in the way of healthcare there and the commute is pretty bad. Property prices are pretty high too.
Elevation is the key to lower temps in AZ. In the Prescott area we average about 15-20° cooler than the lower valley on any given day.
In the Prescott and Prescott Valley area we have about 125k people in the many smaller towns surrounding us. Pretty good healthcare too with many older people living in the area. Two hospitals, One each in Prescott and PV and another new one about to be built in Prescott or so I understand. You might well find employment locally and not have to commute at all.
Acreage is available in the PV area in particular too.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:42 AM

19 posts, read 57,926 times
Any specific area of Phoenix? I can be in the city of Phoenix 10 minutes from my house, drive 40 minutes and still be in the city of Phoenix. So being within "an hour of Phoenix" kinda depends...you could live in Black Canyon City and make north Phoenix in an hour, you could live out in Tonopah but getting to north Phoenix from there would be iffy.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:44 PM

17 posts, read 36,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET will dictate this choice a lot.
Not rich, not poor lol. Want some land with no neighbors.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgardener View Post
Any specific area of Phoenix? I can be in the city of Phoenix 10 minutes from my house, drive 40 minutes and still be in the city of Phoenix. So being within "an hour of Phoenix" kinda depends...you could live in Black Canyon City and make north Phoenix in an hour, you could live out in Tonopah but getting to north Phoenix from there would be iffy.
No specific area in mind at this moment. However with what you said it seems like we should just stick around that area. Problem will be finding some land I guess.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:33 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianandSarah View Post
Not rich, not poor lol. Want some land with no neighbors.
That doesn't help. What you might consider rich, I might consider poor. You would need to be more specific of your budget. We aren't asking for tax returns here. Just a general number.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
That doesn't help. What you might consider rich, I might consider poor. You would need to be more specific of your budget. We aren't asking for tax returns here. Just a general number.
500k or under
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona