Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 02:05 PM

90 posts, read 78,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
Never understood the no sweating in dry heat idea. Are you sitting still? If you are out in the sun doing anything you are sweating. Or at least I am.
I still sweat just not as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 02:20 PM

324 posts, read 271,097 times
The only way to have "cheap" rent in Prescott Valley area is to own your own camper and get lucky enough to get into one of the few rv parks..... but the few that are here are mostly full. We moved here in June of this year from TX. Cool morning, hot during the day and usually cools off for the night after 8pm. But we were VERY lucky to get an rv spot.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:14 PM

8 posts, read 13,438 times
Thank you for replying and please forgive my tardy reply... we would be needing a 2-3 bedroom house of some description, not more than $700 all-inclusive, out of town. Are we dreaming the impossible dream? Thank you!

Old 12-01-2020, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 13,438 times
What are the winters like for living in an RV?

Old 12-01-2020, 10:09 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Renting 2-3 bedroom at $700.00 I doubt it, more like $1500.00+. Winter visitors take up most rentals this time of the year. Don't be surprised if you see many at $2000-3000.
Winters are mild to cold in the winter, a lot depends on location in the state. You can always google average winter temps for any city in AZ.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:17 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
If I hike in 90+ out here I sweat and can tell im sweating. And my shirt would be proof of the sweating. This is a tall tale that needs to die.
And I used to mow my grass in Yuma at 115 degrees with no issues...here in VA when at 90 degrees and 95% humidity... I am drenched in 10 minutes.

Not everyplace in AZ is consistently in the dry heat category....I spent a summer working in Sierra Vista during the monsoon season, and swore I was back in the humidity of IN in July. Yuma gets little effect of the summer monsoons, central AZ on the other hand sees substantial monsoonal effects with rain and increased humidity.

Using this calculator:

115 degrees with 10% humidity feels like (called the heat index)110 degrees.

90 degrees with 95% humidity feels like 127 degrees.

Gimme dry heat any day.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 12-02-2020 at 06:26 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 03:48 PM

732 posts, read 390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Sierra Vista, elevation 4600', gets some snow, but usually melts within hours, not days. Cooler that most of AZ, 90 minutes from Tucson for expanded shopping. Good Hospital. Great Community Center. Not many trees in town proper, but outside of town, many trees in Miller Canyon, Ramsey Canyon. Miller Peak just outside of town is 9400', includes Aspans for a fall color change. AZ wine country close by in Elgin/Sonoita. Nogales, Sonora, MX is an easy day trip for inexpensive Eyeglasses/medication/shopping.
Sierra Vista would be my pick over Show Low...... and I have lived in both places. Not taking anything away from Show Low, it is incredibly beautiful in the White Mtns, but as stated, at 6300' it gets much more snow that can last for days.

Regards
Gemstone1
I agree. Sierra Vista isn't a beautiful town but the elevation gives you surprisingly good weather for a place that isn't on the coast. My temptation would be to live in one of the smaller towns in the area (besides Bisbee) and use Sierra Vista for shopping, etc.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
And I used to mow my grass in Yuma at 115 degrees with no issues...here in VA when at 90 degrees and 95% humidity... I am drenched in 10 minutes.

Not everyplace in AZ is consistently in the dry heat category....I spent a summer working in Sierra Vista during the monsoon season, and swore I was back in the humidity of IN in July. Yuma gets little effect of the summer monsoons, central AZ on the other hand sees substantial monsoonal effects with rain and increased humidity.

Using this calculator:

115 degrees with 10% humidity feels like (called the heat index)110 degrees.

90 degrees with 95% humidity feels like 127 degrees.

Gimme dry heat any day.

Regards
Gemstone1
Yuma doesn't get much rain out of the monsoon, but they do get the humidity! I had to go to Yuma for work a day at the end of August this year, and at 9am, it was 90°F with a dew point of 77°F (that's Gulf Coast&So Florida style moisture), but skies were clear blue, no clouds. I sweated right through my shirt in one hour. That doesn't happen here in Phoenix

Old 12-03-2020, 10:16 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaPurdy View Post
Thinking seriously of relocating to AZ from Vermont. We are active people in our 70s but tired of fighting the cold especially. Some snow would still be nice. Also trees. And mountains. Ideally we'd hope for maximum temp range 80-85 in summer, 30 in winter, snowfall normally 2" at any one time, melts fast, spring comes in February. How would it compare with Spokane, for instance, does anyone know? We have our eye on Show Low, Cottonwood, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Camp Verde... We are retired low-income so we need reasonable rent. Thanks!

My parents retired and lived near Spokane for 10 years. Spokane is cloudy and dreary with frequent snow from November to March. Its rare that the sun is out or it gets over 40 in the afternoon during that time. When it does its with a pineapple express. Heavy rain and in the 40's. The white mountains have much nicer weather in the winter with lots of sunshine and similar to Spokane in the summer. Plus in Arizona you can simply drive a couple hours or so and be down the Phoenix area and much warmer winter weather if you want to get out of the cold. In Spokane two hours away is pretty much the same cold dreary weather or worse. Most people who can have long vacations during the winter months away from Spokane.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:44 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaPurdy View Post
What are the winters like for living in an RV?
Depends on where you drive it to. One nice thing about an RV...the line to the loo is short, and it's ALWAYS available...

Tow yer toys behind you, and you can go dune buggyin' in the dez, or cruising the PCH on yer Harley. Night time camping rates? Oh, yeah. $15-$20/night...ocean front, camping...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona