U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 11:33 PM

7 posts, read 8,138 times

Advertisements

Thinking seriously of relocating to AZ from Vermont. We are active people in our 70s but tired of fighting the cold especially. Some snow would still be nice. Also trees. And mountains. Ideally we'd hope for maximum temp range 80-85 in summer, 30 in winter, snowfall normally 2" at any one time, melts fast, spring comes in February. How would it compare with Spokane, for instance, does anyone know? We have our eye on Show Low, Cottonwood, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Camp Verde... We are retired low-income so we need reasonable rent. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 12:41 AM

484 posts, read 317,620 times
The places in AZ you mention will all work, although Show Low will be colder in the winter than what you might be looking for, particularly December and January. I split my time between Tucson and Washington, but along the WA coast, not in Spokane. I understand that the winters in Spokane can get a lot of snow, so it may not be an improvement on Vermont.

What rent budget are you aiming for?

Old 09-03-2020, 02:21 AM

22,937 posts, read 12,252,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaPurdy View Post
Thinking seriously of relocating to AZ from Vermont. We are active people in our 70s but tired of fighting the cold especially. Some snow would still be nice. Also trees. And mountains. Ideally we'd hope for maximum temp range 80-85 in summer, 30 in winter, snowfall normally 2" at any one time, melts fast, spring comes in February. How would it compare with Spokane, for instance, does anyone know? We have our eye on Show Low, Cottonwood, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Camp Verde... We are retired low-income so we need reasonable rent. Thanks!

For climate, I would say Prescott comes the closest to what you're looking for but it's also going to be the most expensive. Spokane would be warmer than Vermont but still quite cold with mostly grey winter weather, windy springs but a pleasant summer.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:08 AM

706 posts, read 416,719 times
Anything north of the Phoenix area will have many winter lows below 30°F.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:33 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times
I'd throw Silver City NM into the mix as well, just over the border from Arizona and a three hour drive from Tucson. It has the regional medical center, a small college that brings in cultural activities, sits at 5500 feet (similar weather to Prescott) and probably the most affordable city in what you are looking for.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:46 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,964,642 times
Sierra Vista, elevation 4600', gets some snow, but usually melts within hours, not days. Cooler that most of AZ, 90 minutes from Tucson for expanded shopping. Good Hospital. Great Community Center. Not many trees in town proper, but outside of town, many trees in Miller Canyon, Ramsey Canyon. Miller Peak just outside of town is 9400', includes Aspans for a fall color change. AZ wine country close by in Elgin/Sonoita. Nogales, Sonora, MX is an easy day trip for inexpensive Eyeglasses/medication/shopping.
Sierra Vista would be my pick over Show Low...... and I have lived in both places. Not taking anything away from Show Low, it is incredibly beautiful in the White Mtns, but as stated, at 6300' it gets much more snow that can last for days.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-03-2020, 08:50 AM

4,395 posts, read 2,708,530 times
Do you mean winter highs of 30 degrees, or lows of 30?

Old 09-03-2020, 09:51 AM

3,424 posts, read 3,325,655 times
Without a rental budget it would be tough to give any recommendations. Show Low gets A LOT of snow in the winter. Not as much as Flagstaff but...still a bit. I agree that Prescott would be the best fit (although 90s in the summer are not rare, nor is a few 100+ days) but that is going to depend on your budget. Camp Verde may work as well but I think it gets hotter than the 80s in the summer.

None of the places you mentioned are "in the mountains" except parts of Prescott or Show Low. The rest are High Plains.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 09-03-2020 at 10:22 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 10:15 AM

385 posts, read 371,763 times
All those places are too hot. Especially for a east coaster that hasn't dealt with this sun.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:12 PM

3,680 posts, read 5,467,249 times
If your max heat is between 80-85 in the summer then Arizona may not be the place for you. We get weeks where the entire state is hot, in varying degrees. Flagstaff, in my opinion, is probably the coolest spot consistently and even it gets into the 90s on some days. However, you must take into account that it won't be nearly as humid out here as it would be in Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona