U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 09:48 AM

7,942 posts, read 7,739,172 times

Advertisements

Where is the most obvious place ta find Bigfoot in Arizona?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 09:37 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,356,480 times
Looking at your route, I'd consider taking I-40 to Little Rock than cut I-30 to I-20 in Dallas to I10 all the way in. Much slimmer chances of snow and ice than the I40 route through Oklahoma, ABQ and northern AZ. You have options to almost eliminate the possibility altogether by cutting down to I10 in the deep south but, I feel it would add too many miles to make it a viable option, unless a very major snow or ice event was imminent along the other paths.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:38 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,356,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Where is the most obvious place ta find Bigfoot in Arizona?
The White Mountains or Rim Country I'd say

Old 12-04-2020, 01:59 AM

7,942 posts, read 7,739,172 times
Thank you for that, elcajones. I'm always interested in catching some prime time entertainment.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:09 PM

7,593 posts, read 12,570,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Looking at your route, I'd consider taking I-40 to Little Rock than cut I-30 to I-20 in Dallas to I10 all the way in. Much slimmer chances of snow and ice than the I40 route through Oklahoma, ABQ and northern AZ. You have options to almost eliminate the possibility altogether by cutting down to I10 in the deep south but, I feel it would add too many miles to make it a viable option, unless a very major snow or ice event was imminent along the other paths.

Sorry. Didn't mean to take so long getting back in here. I've considered this route but due to issues with my legs and feet we likely won't drive more than 7 hours a day. Am I see that areas with hotels are sparse? Or at least towns with some nicer hotels?

Old 12-10-2020, 05:55 PM

258 posts, read 130,123 times
I've driven it a few times from the midwest. I like to plan ahead which hotel and make reservations, but with covid you may not need them. Stick to the bigger cities, like if you can make it to Knoxville Day 1, then maybe Memphis, then OK City, on to Albuquerque...then you have to decide whether to stop in Flagstaff or just go for it all the way. That's 5-6 days of driving which is really stretching it out. Or modify this plan to suit your preference but I don't like to wing it too much and just stop at any hotel in the boonies.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I've driven it a few times from the midwest. I like to plan ahead which hotel and make reservations, but with covid you may not need them. Stick to the bigger cities, like if you can make it to Knoxville Day 1, then maybe Memphis, then OK City, on to Albuquerque...then you have to decide whether to stop in Flagstaff or just go for it all the way. That's 5-6 days of driving which is really stretching it out. Or modify this plan to suit your preference but I don't like to wing it too much and just stop at any hotel in the boonies.

I'd like to cut off 40 sooner and cut some time off by not going to Flagstaff and down. But I'm hearing this could be risky with weather in the higher elevation. Our last night in a hotel was going to be Albuquerque then just finish the drive the next day.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:05 PM

258 posts, read 130,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'd like to cut off 40 sooner and cut some time off by not going to Flagstaff and down. But I'm hearing this could be risky with weather in the higher elevation. Our last night in a hotel was going to be Albuquerque then just finish the drive the next day.
I did that once, and it was a little hairy. The mountain roads have some downgrades and tight turns that will get your knuckles white. I-17 has some good downgrades as well but it would be less scary than the other smaller highways, especially in bad weather, IMHO. I thought the suggestion about diverting south to I-10 from the DFW area was a good one, but you shot that down, albeit vaguely with some comment about driving only 7 hrs/day which I really did not understand. I took that route once while driving a UHaul and pulling a car trailer in order to avoid the mountains, stayed in El Paso, and that was not bad. If you're worried about hotels along the southern route, just stay in Dallas area and then El Paso. Or there are larger towns along I-20 like Midland, etc, which should have plenty of good hotels.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 12-12-2020 at 07:14 PM..

Old 12-13-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I did that once, and it was a little hairy. The mountain roads have some downgrades and tight turns that will get your knuckles white. I-17 has some good downgrades as well but it would be less scary than the other smaller highways, especially in bad weather, IMHO. I thought the suggestion about diverting south to I-10 from the DFW area was a good one, but you shot that down, albeit vaguely with some comment about driving only 7 hrs/day which I really did not understand. I took that route once while driving a UHaul and pulling a car trailer in order to avoid the mountains, stayed in El Paso, and that was not bad. If you're worried about hotels along the southern route, just stay in Dallas area and then El Paso. Or there are larger towns along I-20 like Midland, etc, which should have plenty of good hotels.

Health issues with my feet and legs dictate how long I can be in the car. Doing 12-14 hours days of driving are long over for me. Hence the shorter days. We wanted to do I-40 as a relative thought we would enjoy that more than I-10 as far as scenery. I've checked the weather along the 1-40 route for 10 days out and so far I see no weather related issues. Of course this can change. I'm not opposed to dropping down south if the weather causes this. Just seems to be more options on stops staying on the I-40 route.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:28 AM

1,522 posts, read 1,935,377 times
Hotels, motels around Midland are like 180 dollar a night a few years ago. Even the super8. But it is a very rlaxing road, not a lot off traffic. Drive I40 on a monday westbound and there is hardly any traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona