U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 01:43 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,532,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I'm really surprised the rich people haven't discovered this city and turned it into a very expensive city to live in, with all those steep building sites on the many hills there with jaw-dropping views.
I think that demographic is still 'scared' of the border. The Nogales border for some reason is among the safest in the country. For some reason, it has escaped most of the violence of other major border cities. I even feel safe in Nogales MX.

I love the city, the weather is actually pretty good. Too bad it only offers minimum wage employment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 04:00 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,383,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover44 View Post
Any good sites I can find to read more info on this little town ?
Doglover, here's a good read on the Nogales border area:

https://www.amazon.com/Nogales-part-...s=books&sr=1-1

Old 03-24-2021, 11:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,796,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Doglover, here's a good read on the Nogales border area:

https://www.amazon.com/Nogales-part-...s=books&sr=1-1
Hi Rich, good suggestion. It's a interesting and fun book to read.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 2,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
TJ,

I believe you previously mentioned going to Nogales, Mx for dental work. My DIL needs some extensive work done and is considering going there because it's cheaper. If you have thoughts you can share on this, I would appreciate it.
Isn't the border "closed" now?

Old 03-25-2021, 05:15 AM

20,442 posts, read 24,145,108 times
It's never been closed during the pandemic!

Old 03-28-2021, 11:01 AM

34,333 posts, read 44,120,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
TJ,

I believe you previously mentioned going to Nogales, Mx for dental work. My DIL needs some extensive work done and is considering going there because it's cheaper. If you have thoughts you can share on this, I would appreciate it.
Not to Nogales. Go to Nogales for street shopping. Go to Los Algodones which is a couple miles past Yuma for dental. It is the dental work capital of the world with literally hundreds of dentists in a few square block area. If you can, wait till summer when the snowbirds are gone. It is wall to wall snowbirds there in winter.

PS: The border is open for essential services which includes dental. You should have a passport. Mexico does not require one but the US does upon return. They will let you back without it, but why hassle with them.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:19 PM

20,442 posts, read 24,145,108 times
I've learned thru the years, getting dental work, in Tijuana, Algodones and Nogales, your better deals are further away from the border, a block or 2 or 3 or 4. My awesome dentist I once had in Algodones was 3 blocks south of the border. My Dentist in Tijuana was in Centro, in a very unremarkable building.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:44 PM

23,516 posts, read 12,623,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not to Nogales. Go to Nogales for street shopping. Go to Los Algodones which is a couple miles past Yuma for dental. It is the dental work capital of the world with literally hundreds of dentists in a few square block area. If you can, wait till summer when the snowbirds are gone. It is wall to wall snowbirds there in winter.

PS: The border is open for essential services which includes dental. You should have a passport. Mexico does not require one but the US does upon return. They will let you back without it, but why hassle with them.
Thanks for the tips. We have friends that snowbird in Yuma and thy also go to Los Algodones for dental work. My DIL that needs the work is apply8ng to get her passport.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:11 PM

411 posts, read 193,187 times
Mexico dental is a decent option to US extortion, but I found the dental work in Thailand to be a few steps ahead. Laser Dental in Nogales has been recommended.. I recall them charging 50 usd for a cleaning with that water type machine. Had it done in Thailand for less than 20 us. Saw a sign last night in Bangkok, 1250 us for an implant.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:47 PM

3,498 posts, read 8,659,368 times
When I lived in Tucson, I went to Arizona Dental Clinic in Nogales, MX. It is very close to the border crossing gate. Good cleaning services, which is all I ever had done. They have good customer recommendations for other dental work.

Back to the topic of Nogales, AZ - How is the quality of tap water there or in nearby Rio Rico? I am not sure if they have water from underground sources. I know the Santa Cruz river that flows north from Mexico is polluted, which is why I wonder about the drinking water situation. Rio Rico has a water treatment plant near I-19 that tries to clean up the water flowing in the Santa Cruz River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona