U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 07:48 AM

411 posts, read 193,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
This post is spot on. I used to have dental insurance in the US, was paying 50 bucks a month, which included 2 cleanings per year. So assuming nothing else was wrong with me, 2 cleanings cost 600 per year in the US.

I started going to Bangkok Smile Dental Clinic on Sukhumvit Soi 5. 15 dollars per cleaning and it was absolutely just as good service as anything you can get in the states. Just walked in off the street, no appointment, and was sitting in a chair about 30 minutes later.

I even compared prices if something serious was needed, like crowns or whatever. It’s actually cheaper to buy a plane ticket to Thailand, and pay for the service, then it would be to have it done in the US while it was “covered” partially by insurance.

Dental in the US is an absolute rip off. Sorry if that offends anyone in that field.

Also sorry to hijack this thread about dental, but to put it back on track, I would consider giving Mexican dental a try for something simple like a cleaning.
Over by Foodland, lol, about a ten minute walk from my hotel I am staying at after selling my condo Wednesday. Walked into a dental office today, they could see me at 1430, but Hooters does entire menu at 50% from 3-4pm..so Saturday dental appointment.. I think me and many other have been putting off the dental visits, but repatriating next week, and actually have a dental clinic next door in Wyoming.. crown/root canal was 465 us in Chiang Mai... No telling how much next door in WY.. 2000+...And I dont care if I do offend anyone.. It is a ripoff..worse than the car dealerships.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 12:24 PM

4,283 posts, read 10,002,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We are from Washington state so not Canadian. We have Canadian friends here that have told us their trials and tribulations of travel to the USA and back to Canada during covid....they have lived here 6 months a year since 2007 and would move here if they were allowed to.

Were you the poster that would living in Washington before and how do you like Verde Valley?
Yes, I didn't mean for you, but I know some Canadians down here in AZ think it's okay to do as all the Americans are still doing it. I am Canadian (so am not the one from WA) and here on an E2 investor's visa and run a business in AZ and had to get some paperwork done at the border as I cannot travel safely back to Canada to do it due to covid. The supervisor at the border told me that any Canadian that crosses into Mexico will be refused reentry to the US and will have to find their way to an airport and fly back to Canada - that's a tough lesson to learn. Interestingly for what I had to do, he walked me into Mexico himself and then had me reenter the US but that was a formality for the paperwork I needed.

I like the Verde Valley except for the traffic in Sedona, it's beyond insane anymore. I keep thinking I'd like to move down to the Oro Valley area - or somewhere around there - but it's gotten pretty crowded too so maybe not.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:54 AM

23,516 posts, read 12,623,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Yes, I didn't mean for you, but I know some Canadians down here in AZ think it's okay to do as all the Americans are still doing it. I am Canadian (so am not the one from WA) and here on an E2 investor's visa and run a business in AZ and had to get some paperwork done at the border as I cannot travel safely back to Canada to do it due to covid. The supervisor at the border told me that any Canadian that crosses into Mexico will be refused reentry to the US and will have to find their way to an airport and fly back to Canada - that's a tough lesson to learn. Interestingly for what I had to do, he walked me into Mexico himself and then had me reenter the US but that was a formality for the paperwork I needed.

I like the Verde Valley except for the traffic in Sedona, it's beyond insane anymore. I keep thinking I'd like to move down to the Oro Valley area - or somewhere around there - but it's gotten pretty crowded too so maybe not.
Definitely good info for Canadians. Oro Valley is very nice but it is pretty busy traffic. Take a look at Vail, not so busy but still very pleasant.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:26 PM

3,056 posts, read 1,377,194 times
Quote:
Nobody knows the future for Arizona, but as of today, you can stand in Texas and hear M203 grenades being fired along with .50 cal heavy guns. Obviously, these are cartels doing battle and this happens up to 4 times per week.

They maintain tactical discipline similar to what you would see in Syria and Iraq with Al Qaeda and ISIS and all the splinter groups associated. These are very sophisticated defacto military units on the southern border of the US.

As far as the regular folks that come across the border, they are the least of our concerns. I’m actually in favor of a guest worker program, where folks can come across the border, work and make money, and then go back home when they want to.

But I don’t think people understand what is truly happening on the border. They get caught up in the illegal alien aspect of it, but that’s just one part of the equation.

Anyway, asking about future border security in a place like Nogales is a fair question to ask, in my opinion, if you are planning on living there long term.

I’ve read posts on here where people are angry about F-35 jet noise. Well, how do you feel about .50 caliber automatic fire, happening around the clock?
Yes! This short video contains a portion of just such a battle. Very eye opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoMXOhjVA-M

Old 04-05-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
“A cartel war”. Lol! The cartels are always battling and there’s no reason to be so paranoid of the ‘what ifs’.
The cartels are already here.

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

1,644 posts, read 628,046 times
To the people who think the border is safe.

Ducey deploys the AZ national guard and declares a state of emergency in 4 border counties, plus Maricopa and Pinal.

People are not safe and the Federal Government is doing absolutely nothing.

Also, many border control experts are now saying that the cartels have operational control of the border.

Would a Democratic Governor deployed the guard? Of course not, because the DNC wouldn’t have allowed it.

Again, I don’t care how beautiful Nogales is. My question is if it is safe to live there, and I don’t have a positive answer on that right now.

Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,933,421 times
Quote:

Ducey deploys the AZ national guard and declares a state of emergency in 4 border counties, plus Maricopa and Pinal.

Also, many border control experts are now saying that the cartels have operational control of the border.

Would a Democratic Governor deployed the guard? Of course not, because the DNC wouldn’t have allowed it.

Again, I don’t care how beautiful Nogales is. My question is if it is safe to live there, and I don’t have a positive answer on that right now.
The sky is falling!! <clutches pearls>

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

"Sensible people will see trouble coming and avoid it, but an unthinking person will walk right into it and regret it later." Proverbs 27:12

Old Today, 01:00 AM

438 posts, read 86,095 times
Quote:

And a politician would never, ever take actions to create an advantageous narrative, rather than address an actual problem. (See Ducey's recent instantly de-bunked press conference on all the huge busts by the Super-Duper Drug Taskforce)

Headlines in the Nogales International that nobody has seen cuz I had to make them up cuz it ain't happening:

Mass Exodus Of Nogales Residents Results In Plummeting Property Values

National Guard Called In To Assist Overwhelmed Nogales Police Force

Curfew Imposed To Curb Rampant Gang Violence

Uptick In Crime Pegged To Drug Cartels (See related editorial - How The Legalization Of Marijuana Left Major International Drug Cartels With Nothing Better To Do Than Tag Your Courtyard Wall With Graffiti And Key Your Car At The Local Safeway)

Old Today, 10:36 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,796,339 times
Quote:

Mom, moved to Rio Rico, just a few miles North of Nogales 2 1/2 years ago, I go down at least 4 times a year. She's 76 years old, alert and active and feels safe. She frequently goes to Nogales for major shopping and before the pandemic across the border just for fun.

The conflicts your hearing outside the area are not heard by the people actually there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona