Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 06:44 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Mexico dental is a decent option to US extortion, but I found the dental work in Thailand to be a few steps ahead. Laser Dental in Nogales has been recommended.. I recall them charging 50 usd for a cleaning with that water type machine. Had it done in Thailand for less than 20 us. Saw a sign last night in Bangkok, 1250 us for an implant.
Extortion?

Think! You've just gotten through some very expensive dental school, with bookoo student loans to pay off, and then! To set up a practice, think of what it would cost to buy all that Xray equipment, pay your staff, pay for your malpractice insurance, and, and, and!

And charge $50 for teeth cleaning???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 06:49 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Most dental tourists to Nogales don't realize, across the Border there's an Int'l Red Cross Clinic where you can see a Doctor for $5-6. with some bilingual staff. Cheaper yet, Clinica Similares (ask the taxi driver to take you there 9 blocks south of the Border) is a walk-in clinic where a Dr. visit will set you back $3.50, and you may or may not see a Dr. who's bi-lingual. I've been there 2X. There's also a half-dozen Orthopedists I saw online. And I'm sure they have Dermatologists as well.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:20 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Mexico dental is a decent option to US extortion, but I found the dental work in Thailand to be a few steps ahead. Laser Dental in Nogales has been recommended.. I recall them charging 50 usd for a cleaning with that water type machine. Had it done in Thailand for less than 20 us. Saw a sign last night in Bangkok, 1250 us for an implant.
BKK is a bit of a trip for some dental work but I've heard medical and dental tourism there is a thing. Even when I worked in Gangnam (very expensive area) area of Seoul, Korea, I had dental work and it was far cheaper than what is generally charged in the USA....same is true for medical work in the USA. Our medial and dental system is way too expensive for what you get.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:22 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
BKK is a bit of a trip for some dental work but I've heard medical and dental tourism there is a thing. Even when I worked in Gangnam (very expensive area) area of Seoul, Korea, I had dental work and it was far cheaper than what is generally charged in the USA....same is true for medical work in the USA. Our medial and dental system is way too expensive for what you get.
They use a Korean made post for the lower cost implants in Thailand..or you can pay about 700us more for Swiss or Amerivan posts.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Extortion?

Think! You've just gotten through some very expensive dental school, with bookoo student loans to pay off, and then! To set up a practice, think of what it would cost to buy all that Xray equipment, pay your staff, pay for your malpractice insurance, and, and, and!

And charge $50 for teeth cleaning???
seemed high for Mexico...more like 125 in the US, and rarely is it done by a DDS, more like a fat slob from a community college. Also, you can skip the doctor altogether and just by the prescription..in mex or thailand.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:57 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
When I lived in Tucson, I went to Arizona Dental Clinic in Nogales, MX. It is very close to the border crossing gate. Good cleaning services, which is all I ever had done. They have good customer recommendations for other dental work.

Back to the topic of Nogales, AZ - How is the quality of tap water there or in nearby Rio Rico? I am not sure if they have water from underground sources. I know the Santa Cruz river that flows north from Mexico is polluted, which is why I wonder about the drinking water situation. Rio Rico has a water treatment plant near I-19 that tries to clean up the water flowing in the Santa Cruz River.
Ahh yes, the mighty Santa Cruz! Most times of the year if we wanted to take a drink from her one of us would go thirsty. She's not the water source.

Water is a bit hard there, for drinking water we use a softener and filtered system.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Ahh yes, the mighty Santa Cruz! Most times of the year if we wanted to take a drink from her one of us would go thirsty. She's not the water source.

Water is a bit hard there, for drinking water we use a softener and filtered system.
I drank it unfiltered for 4 years..much better than Tucson. Water/sewer is getting high in a lot of smaller communities. It is high in Nogales. I had septic and muni water, which I think is the way to go, provided your lot supports it. There were stories of people drilling 600 feet for water.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:19 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Thanks for the tips. We have friends that snowbird in Yuma and thy also go to Los Algodones for dental work. My DIL that needs the work is apply8ng to get her passport.
For Canadians, DON'T go to Mexico for dental work right now (during covid), you won't get back into the US. I was just down there and Canadians were stuck in Mexico.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:13 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
This post is spot on. I used to have dental insurance in the US, was paying 50 bucks a month, which included 2 cleanings per year. So assuming nothing else was wrong with me, 2 cleanings cost 600 per year in the US.

I started going to Bangkok Smile Dental Clinic on Sukhumvit Soi 5. 15 dollars per cleaning and it was absolutely just as good service as anything you can get in the states. Just walked in off the street, no appointment, and was sitting in a chair about 30 minutes later.

I even compared prices if something serious was needed, like crowns or whatever. It’s actually cheaper to buy a plane ticket to Thailand, and pay for the service, then it would be to have it done in the US while it was “covered” partially by insurance.

Dental in the US is an absolute rip off. Sorry if that offends anyone in that field.

Also sorry to hijack this thread about dental, but to put it back on track, I would consider giving Mexican dental a try for something simple like a cleaning.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:43 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
For Canadians, DON'T go to Mexico for dental work right now (during covid), you won't get back into the US. I was just down there and Canadians were stuck in Mexico.
We are from Washington state so not Canadian. We have Canadian friends here that have told us their trials and tribulations of travel to the USA and back to Canada during covid....they have lived here 6 months a year since 2007 and would move here if they were allowed to.

Were you the poster that would living in Washington before and how do you like Verde Valley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona