U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 04:39 PM

883 posts, read 1,248,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't think there's a dispensary open yet in Tucson or I don't know where to find it!
https://www.leafly.com/dispensaries/arizona/tucson
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 05:50 PM

4,635 posts, read 1,966,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I don't know what the street prices are and the last thing I want to do as a businessman is get popped in a drug deal.
For most people it's not like driving to the hood to do a drug deal. People have been getting an ounce or two from trusted friends and relatives in private since the 1960's. If you are in a state where it's legal to hold 2 oz. I don't know how you would be arrested for doing a drug deal for less than 2 oz. I can't see the motivation of law enforcement or the court to arrest and prosecute that. I've never known anyone busted for illegal pot for personal use in 50 years. I guess anything is possible, and does happen. In NJ recreational pot is legal, but there are no recreational dispensaries, only medical ones which require registration and a doctor's note, so there is no other way to get recreational pot except the black market even though it's legal to have.

Last edited by bobspez; 03-25-2021 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 12:04 AM

6,838 posts, read 9,999,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Where the money actually goes is more important to me than the fact that it exists.
https://www.azleg.gov/jlbc/20novI-23-2020fn730.pdf

According to the above link concerning Prop 107, here's how the revenue is to be distributed:
* 33.0% to community colleges
* 31.4% to local law enforcement and fire departments
* 25.4% to the state and local transportation programs
* 10.0% to public health and criminal justice programs
* 0.2% to the Attorney General for enforcement

A quarter of the funds are for transportation. It would be great if it could be used to get I11 going, and for other badly needed road widening projects. Something tells me this is only wishful thinking (given ADOT's track record).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think it’s pathetic that people need this to get through their day, but as long as it doesn’t negatively affect me, it’s a non issue to me.

But I just know more impaired people will be driving, which isn’t good. We have enough problems on the road as it is.
We already have impaired and inattentive drivers who are influenced by other (more lethal) substances, such as alcohol, painkillers, etc. Marijuana could cause some impairment, but it tends to cause slowness in reaction time more than anything else. I've noticed more slow driving since the pandemic began last year, which is damn annoying, but it may not directly be attributed to weed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's the way I feel too. However it's still illegal to drive while impaired no matter what substance someone is on. However people that are inclined to use it for recreational purposes were probably using and obtaining it illegally it anyway.

I'm as Conservative as one can get and don't smoke pot. Now that it's legal I have no desire to use it either. Yet I voted for it to be legal for recreational use. I can't see throwing people in jail or slapping them with hefty fines along with having a criminal record for simple marijuana possession. Not only that but I'd rather see people buying it from a legitimate source instead of some drug dealer on the street who along with marijuana more than likely peddles stuff that is far worse.

I'm all in favor of increasing the penalties for not only impaired driving but reckless driving as well. There are indeed enough problems on the road already.
Exactly my thoughts as well! I tried marijuana in college, but I didn't care much for it then, and the odor is more nauseating than inviting to me personally. Still, it never made any sense to impose Prohibition type of laws on a substance. We know prohibition of alcohol was a complete failure some 100 years ago. Besides, the attitudes about marijuana have changed dramatically. It's no longer considered the evil drug that it was during most of the 20th Century.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:29 AM

3,423 posts, read 1,197,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This is likely going to be a huge cash cow for the state ... so much so that even the most socially conservative sticks in the mud will be loving the revenue generated from it. Now, if we could only get statewide gambling and brothels fully legalized, we'll be in business (although the state to the NW of us would be a little nervous if this happens).
Most AZ conservatives have a bit of a libertarian streak, but we do not fixate on tax revenue as a plus.

I personally think weed, brothels and gambling should be legal everywhere.

Regarding taxes, most govt agencies are wasteful, and we know it. There is never enough transparency in taxation either. Like somebody else stated, it matters what it is spent on.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:37 AM

3,423 posts, read 1,197,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I wonder if black market prices are more competitive? In some states dispensary prices are more than twice as expensive as in other states. I don't know how they compare to black market prices.
California is struggling with that now, but anybody with two brain cells to rub together could have seen that coming.

California dispensaries are so hyper regulated, and the taxes are astronomical, all driving the cost of the products so high that it made the unregulated black market even more lucrative.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:30 AM

1,771 posts, read 671,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
How about the 120 million Americans who used painkillers, ant-depressants and tranquilizers to get through the day? Or the 100 million Americans who use alcohol to get through the day? Or the 40 million Americans who need cigarettes to get through the day? Do you consider them pathetic?
I do consider people who need opioids or alcohol to get through their day pathetic as well.

Like I stated, other people’s impairment is a non issue to me until they get behind the wheel.

Also, I don’t care about some left wing poll that inaccurately states legalizing more drugs will lead to no increased danger on the road. That doesn’t even pass the common sense test.

People will get behind the wheel, that’s a given. More drugs, mor impaired people.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:58 AM

I guess you must see a lot of people who don't live up to your standards as pathetic. Musicians like the Beatles and Stones and Louis Armstrong. Veterans and civilians affected by war with PTSD. Terminal Cancer patients. Millions of people with physical and mental impairments that need medications in order to cope, millions of stressed workers that need a few drinks or some weed to relax after a day's work. Just wondering what you contribute to the world with your clear mind that is better than what they do? What makes you so sure someone who settles in at night with some weed is going to want to leave their house to drive? More impairment could just as easily lead to less driving, so less accidents.
Quote:
I do consider people who need opioids or alcohol to get through their day pathetic as well.

Like I stated, other people’s impairment is a non issue to me until they get behind the wheel.

Also, I don’t care about some left wing poll that inaccurately states legalizing more drugs will lead to no increased danger on the road. That doesn’t even pass the common sense test.

People will get behind the wheel, that’s a given. More drugs, mor impaired people.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:09 PM

8,566 posts, read 4,953,413 times
Quote:

LOL. After it was legalized in CO I watched some guy next to me take fifteen minutes to parallel park!

Would have been funny if you didn't realize he had just driven from somewhere.

I'm sure by the grin on his face, though, if you'd have asked him he would have said he was doing fine, just fine,, more than fine.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:19 PM

8,119 posts, read 14,000,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
LOL. After it was legalized in CO I watched some guy next to me take fifteen minutes to parallel park!

Would have been funny if you didn't realize he had just driven from somewhere.

I'm sure by the grin on his face, though, if you'd have asked him he would have said he was doing fine, just fine,, more than fine.
You and I both know that he was doing the same idiotic stuff before it was legalized too.

One would have to be incredibly naive to think that people that want to smoke weed didn’t do so because of the law. Prohibition has proven to be a failure.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You and I both know that he was doing the same idiotic stuff before it was legalized too.

One would have to be incredibly naive to think that people that want to smoke weed didn’t do so because of the law. Prohibition has proven to be a failure.
I drove impaired for 45 years, mostly on alcohol, and never had an accident or received a citation. That's because I was super careful when I drove impaired. The citations I did receive for speeding and making an illegal turn and passing an orange light when it turned red were when I was completely sober, because my mind was elsewhere and I was driving on auto pilot the way many people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona