U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2021, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
3,049 posts, read 5,726,250 times
Reputation: 2405

Advertisements

I am too old to ride now so I sold my motorcycle the middle of last month. In fact a dealer bought it and got a notarized title from me all signed and such when he took the bike with him to Phoenix.
I reported the sale of the bike to MVD and got a refund on the plate too.
Now, some 3+ weeks later, all of the sudden I get two titles showing I own the bike on one day and the following day, you guessed it, I get another title on the bike in my name.
I have no idea who the dealer was that bought it, but I am sure there has to be some sort of problem.
And another problem is I know of no way to email or call MVD. Yes they have a phone but you won't ever get anything but a recording.
Not quite sure at this point what to do
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2021, 07:47 PM
 
238 posts, read 251,789 times
Reputation: 353
Sounds like they went to transfer it and the MVD entered your name as buyer. Might want to go in person to the Prescott MVD or possibly one of the secondary offices in PV. Any seller or buyer should get the info on who you are dealing with. If you reported it to them what buyers name/address did you give them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2021, 01:00 AM
 
Location: The Grand Canyon State
6,631 posts, read 3,457,640 times
Reputation: 5662
This is why when you sell a vehicle here you don't give a "Open" title that is notarized and the buyer name blank You fill in the buyers name. What the dealer did was take that "open" title and give it to the buyer who did who knows what with it. I refused to sell someone anything with an "Open" title where they want the buyers name to be blank.

The dealer must not have had been licensed to handle MVD titles and registrations which is very odd. Normally when you sell something to a dealer here they are acting as the MVD would. They just have you sign a transfer form which transfers the vehicle over to them it's notarized you are the seller and usually it's printed part of the form with the business name as the buyer. If they had you open the title by signing the sellers part and them notarizing it not the correct way for a dealer to handle it. Dealers handle all that stuff you should not even have to notify the MVD. I would contact the dealer and let them know what happened if they want the title come and pick it up or you mail to them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2021, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
3,049 posts, read 5,726,250 times
Reputation: 2405
The dealer's rep gave me his card and told me to enter his name and the address of the dealership in Phoenix that was on the business card for the report of sale.
Unfortunately, at this point I threw the card away and don't remember the name of the business that bought the bike. It was a cash deal.

I would think at this point that MVD has to have realized that they issued 3 different titles on the same bike showing my name as legal owner. Maybe not???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 AM
 
Location: The Grand Canyon State
6,631 posts, read 3,457,640 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
The dealer's rep gave me his card and told me to enter his name and the address of the dealership in Phoenix that was on the business card for the report of sale.
Unfortunately, at this point I threw the card away and don't remember the name of the business that bought the bike. It was a cash deal.

I would think at this point that MVD has to have realized that they issued 3 different titles on the same bike showing my name as legal owner. Maybe not???
Didn't you go to the dealer or did they just pick the bike up from you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2021, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,074 posts, read 1,785,875 times
Reputation: 7400
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I am too old to ride now so I sold my motorcycle the middle of last month. In fact a dealer bought it and got a notarized title from me all signed and such when he took the bike with him to Phoenix.
I reported the sale of the bike to MVD and got a refund on the plate too.
Now, some 3+ weeks later, all of the sudden I get two titles showing I own the bike on one day and the following day, you guessed it, I get another title on the bike in my name.
I have no idea who the dealer was that bought it, but I am sure there has to be some sort of problem.
And another problem is I know of no way to email or call MVD. Yes they have a phone but you won't ever get anything but a recording.
Not quite sure at this point what to do
Report it stolen and wait for the police to bring "your" bike back, then sell it again? :-D
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2021, 11:02 AM
 
Location: The Grand Canyon State
6,631 posts, read 3,457,640 times
Reputation: 5662
Guy I knew he sold a 66 Nova classic car to a guy about 12-13 years later he got a letter from the MVD saying someone was attempting to get a title on the vehicle though use of bonded title. This is a process where if you find a vehicle without a title you can get one have to pay for a bond if it turns out to be stolen whatever you maybe liable.

It turned out the car was left a a muffler shop for 4 years owner never came back to pay the guy or pick it up. The owner of the shop was trying to get the car it was worth money. This guy I knew he wrote back that he was never paid for the car completely and wanted the car back he was going to court said he was sure was able to get his old car back. When he went to the first round in court the muffler shop owner never showed up he suspected this guy was not legally here in the US was afraid to show up in court. The judge said he would reschedule the hearing if he didn't show up 2nd time award the car back to the owner from 15 years ago. The entire debacle was caused because the title was an open title he had sold the car to a guy who never filled in his name he sold it to another guy who left it at the muffler shop. Due to the title last owner was 15 years prior that is who ended up with the car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2021, 05:58 PM
 
238 posts, read 251,789 times
Reputation: 353
For a bond you get a Level 3 inspection. If there are no records on it they set a bond amount. You buy a bond and they give you the title. If there is a past name on record on it you send that person a certified letter with a power of attorney asking them to fill it out with a notory and mail it back to you. Most people do not respond because if they do they can be held liable for any past tickets or fines. After 15 business days the PO will return it to you. At that point you go back to MVD and they set a bond amount. You buy the bond and they issue you a title. Once you buy a bond it`s yours. If anyone comes up later all they can do is to try and get the bond money from the insurance company that issued it. After 12 months that option is gone. Supposedly no one has ever gotten any bond money. I`ve only done about 12 of them but found everyone to be helpful. Any licensed shop can apply for a mechanics lien and then after trying to get in touch with the owner they will eventually get a title. What can be a problem is if there is a lien by loan or worse if it has a lien from tickets or other issues. If you are looking to buy a vehicle you should get the VIN number and run it by MVD before you buy it. 3rd party offices can do it or you can try vinaudit.com If it involves any amount of money you should make the seller meet you at MVD. You pay them and you get the title process started at the same visit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2021, 09:54 PM
 
Location: The Grand Canyon State
6,631 posts, read 3,457,640 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
For a bond you get a Level 3 inspection. If there are no records on it they set a bond amount. You buy a bond and they give you the title. If there is a past name on record on it you send that person a certified letter with a power of attorney asking them to fill it out with a notory and mail it back to you. Most people do not respond because if they do they can be held liable for any past tickets or fines. After 15 business days the PO will return it to you. At that point you go back to MVD and they set a bond amount. You buy the bond and they issue you a title. Once you buy a bond it`s yours. If anyone comes up later all they can do is to try and get the bond money from the insurance company that issued it. After 12 months that option is gone. Supposedly no one has ever gotten any bond money. I`ve only done about 12 of them but found everyone to be helpful. Any licensed shop can apply for a mechanics lien and then after trying to get in touch with the owner they will eventually get a title. What can be a problem is if there is a lien by loan or worse if it has a lien from tickets or other issues. If you are looking to buy a vehicle you should get the VIN number and run it by MVD before you buy it. 3rd party offices can do it or you can try vinaudit.com If it involves any amount of money you should make the seller meet you at MVD. You pay them and you get the title process started at the same visit.
I know someone who bought a used jeep about 3 years old from local Phoenix dealer. The dealer called him after a month told him he needed to bring it back because the person who sold it to the dealer was involved in a nasty divorce in California. The dealer was under injunction to return the jeep to California they basically sold my friend a new jeep for what he had in the used jeep slightly different model less features.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,513 posts, read 28,506,882 times
Reputation: 11384
The Arizona MVD does a remarkable job, especially during this COVID pandemic disaster.

Unfortunately, there are so many "Rules and Regulations" to adhere to as well as Nutcases and Cons trying their best to "Beat The System" . . . I am amazed how well the MVD is able to perform.

THANKS MVD.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top