U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 12:15 PM

29 posts, read 16,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This again? SB 1070 was 11 years ago. Much has changed here since then.
I have no idea whats going on in AZ, would you mind telling more about this or pointing me to some thread?

Quote:
And I have no clue where you can live in a safe place for $700 anymore.
even for master bedroom with private bath?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 12:34 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,533,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangger View Post
Yes, have no any preferance for Arizona. yes, just trying to get of CA.
The only reason I started with AZ is that its just the closest to CA, and I will need to rent U-Haul or similar (U-Haul cost 3300$ to Kansas e.g.).

Just found about SB 1070 bill - may be AZ isn't for foreigners at all?
Uhm...SB1070 was over 10 years ago and was aimed at illegal immigration.

If you are going to make your decision on 10+ year old legislation and not do any research on the state you are looking at moving to...you probably don't want to be here. I will say that the larger cities are more diverse than what you stated you were looking for so maybe if you want to be around a cooler climate that is still diverse you look at Flagstaff or maybe Colorado. Folks in the "sticks" still have their Trump signs up.

That being said...I don't think you will find any studios, in safe areas, in AZ for under $700.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post

If you are going to make your decision on 10+ year old legislation and not do any research on the state you are looking at moving to...you probably don't want to be here. I will say that the larger cities are more diverse than what you stated you were looking for so maybe if you want to be around a cooler climate that is still diverse you look at Flagstaff or maybe Colorado. Folks in the "sticks" still have their Trump signs up.

That being said...I don't think you will find any studios, in safe areas, in AZ for under $700.
Thank you!
"Folks in the "sticks" still have their Trump signs up." - are you talking about AZ?
sorry don't get this sentence, you mean AZ people mostly support Trump?

Old 05-13-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post

If you are going to make your decision on 10+ year old legislation and not do any research on the state you are looking at moving to...you probably don't want to be here.
I guess it really depends how its applied in practice. At first glance it looks like if you forget immigration papers (which anybody will do some day) - you get a misdemeanour. Hopefully thats wrong.
"was over 10 years ago" - not sure why it matters? was it cancelled or overwritten by another law?
even 100 year law is valid until cancelled, right?
absolutely not tried to start a flame, its just important in my case.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:57 PM

1,052 posts, read 555,290 times
Quote:
I guess it really depends how its applied in practice. At first glance it looks like if you forget immigration papers (which anybody will do some day) - you get a misdemeanour. Hopefully thats wrong.
"was over 10 years ago" - not sure why it matters? was it cancelled or overwritten by another law?
even 100 year law is valid until cancelled, right?
absolutely not tried to start a flame, its just important in my case.
Open your internet browser and type in SB 1070. Do all the research you'd like. Wikipedia should provide you with everything you need to know.

If I were you, I'd look into New Mexico. It's cheaper, cooler, and more Blue.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
If I were you, I'd look into New Mexico. It's cheaper, cooler, and more Blue.
thanks. what "more Blue" means? more tolerant to immigrants?

Old 05-13-2021, 11:14 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,455,345 times
Quote:
Hi!
Looking for a town/city with cheap rent (studio/1br or room in a private house), safe, and were weather is not too hot (just doesn't feel like desert in summer).

My car is over 20 years old, therefore I would prefer to stay away from areas that require any kind of emissions testing (VIN check or safety check shouldn't be an issue). I believe Phoenix area does require emissions test, so it won't work for me. How far from Phoenix emissions test is required?

Rent doesn't have to be absolutely lowest - don't really know how much is rent in Arizona, so its hard for me to give any estimate. Say if there's frequent shooting - I would rather pay 100$ more for more safe place.

Average city size is best (say 10K-100K people). Like nature and not a fan of very big cities with very high density of people.
Schools or jobs doesn't matter (work remotely).
Some tolerance to foreigners is important.
Don't need clubs/night life - as long as there's grocery store, dentist and auto parts store, and amazon delivery can get there that would work
I know pretty much nothing about Arizona - any advise is welcome!
Considering other states around California too.
Thank you!
Let's see, now...

Cheap? Yup
Cool weather? Yup.
Safe? Yup.
No emissions testing, so you can pollute to your heart's content? Yup.
Small size with no criminals? Yup.
Tolerance to foreigners? Yup
Small enough town size to have everything I want, and nothing I don't want? Yup
Clueless about the area? Yup

I got just the place for you. And, lucky you, it just re-opened to 25% of capacity!

The utopia you're looking for is "FANTASYLAND." It's in a specific district within the City of Anaheim, Ca.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:00 AM

3,046 posts, read 3,200,412 times
Try Sheridan Wyoming. Cool weather, cheaper cost of living and far away from CA.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:15 AM

1,052 posts, read 555,290 times
Quote:
thanks. what "more Blue" means? more tolerant to immigrants?
This can't be real.....

Old 05-14-2021, 09:17 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,533,938 times
Quote:
Thank you!
"Folks in the "sticks" still have their Trump signs up." - are you talking about AZ?
sorry don't get this sentence, you mean AZ people mostly support Trump?
"Folks in the sticks" is a term referring to people living in the small towns you are supposedly looking for. If you paid attention at all to the 2020 election you would know that rural areas, such as small towns, voted overwhelmingly conservative, i.e. for Trump. Take a drive through the residential area of Payson or pretty much any small town in AZ and you will still see Trump signs/flags/bumper stickers. Maricopa County (which encompasses most of Metro Phoenix) narrowly voted for Biden which, along with Tucson and Flagstaff (both long time Democrat strongholds) pushed the state Blue.

All that to say no, most people didn't support Trump, 1,661,686 did and 1,672,143 supported Biden. The point is the small town utopia you are seeking will most likely be overwhelmingly conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona