Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 07:48 PM

29 posts, read 41,798 times

Advertisements

Hi!
Looking for a town/city with cheap rent (studio/1br or room in a private house), safe, and were weather is not too hot (just doesn't feel like desert in summer).

My car is over 20 years old, therefore I would prefer to stay away from areas that require any kind of emissions testing (VIN check or safety check shouldn't be an issue). I believe Phoenix area does require emissions test, so it won't work for me. How far from Phoenix emissions test is required?

Rent doesn't have to be absolutely lowest - don't really know how much is rent in Arizona, so its hard for me to give any estimate. Say if there's frequent shooting - I would rather pay 100$ more for more safe place.

Average city size is best (say 10K-100K people). Like nature and not a fan of very big cities with very high density of people.
Schools or jobs doesn't matter (work remotely).
Some tolerance to foreigners is important.
Don't need clubs/night life - as long as there's grocery store, dentist and auto parts store, and amazon delivery can get there that would work
I know pretty much nothing about Arizona - any advise is welcome!
Considering other states around California too.
Thank you!

Last edited by strangger; 05-12-2021 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 08:17 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,269,687 times
It boggles my mind how people seem to just throw a dart at a map and decide to move somewhere. Anyhow, I guess I will go with Prescott, Payson, Show Low, Flagstaff, etc. Given you have provided no context for what you consider "cheap" this is all just wild stabs in the dark.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:53 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Payson is not cheap and rentals are few and far between. (think $1500 for a 1 bed) And if they are remote working the un-reliability of the local Internet in that town would be a no go...but StarLink is available there so that may be the saving grace.

Prescott summers are still very warm, I wouldn't call the rents "cheap"

Show Low is getting expensive as well and they get almost as much snow as Flagstaff

Flagstaff? Really? Poverty with a view? Rents are stupid expensive with NAU there.

Course if the OP is coming from Cali then anything less than $2k could be considered "Cheap"

I hear Holbrook is an up and coming place. Or maybe try Sierra Vista? Oro Valley (Tucson)?

Of course this post begs the question...why AZ? If the OP has never been here or explored the state...just trying to get out of CA like everyone else?

Old 05-13-2021, 09:24 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,229 times
Sierra Vista seems like the best fit. No clue what the rental scene is like, but housing prices are very affordable. Mild climate too

Old 05-13-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Payson is not cheap and rentals are few and far between. (think $1500 for a 1 bed) And if they are remote working the un-reliability of the local Internet in that town would be a no go...but StarLink is available there so that may be the saving grace.

Prescott summers are still very warm, I wouldn't call the rents "cheap"

Show Low is getting expensive as well and they get almost as much snow as Flagstaff

Flagstaff? Really? Poverty with a view? Rents are stupid expensive with NAU there.

Course if the OP is coming from Cali then anything less than $2k could be considered "Cheap"

I hear Holbrook is an up and coming place. Or maybe try Sierra Vista? Oro Valley (Tucson)?

Of course this post begs the question...why AZ? If the OP has never been here or explored the state...just trying to get out of CA like everyone else?
Just trying to throw out cities that fit most of his criteria. With having no concept of their definition of "cheap" I assumed everything is fair game.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, have no any preferance for Arizona. yes, just trying to get of CA.
The only reason I started with AZ is that its just the closest to CA, and I will need to rent U-Haul or similar (U-Haul cost 3300$ to Kansas e.g.).

Just found about SB 1070 bill - may be AZ isn't for foreigners at all?

Old 05-13-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I am not in Los Angeles or big city (in CA). Really have no idea whats reasonable rent for AZ or nearby states. Up to 700$ for a studio (or master bedroom with private bath) is good. Don't need a house.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
It boggles my mind how people seem to just throw a dart at a map and decide to move somewhere. Anyhow, I guess I will go with Prescott, Payson, Show Low, Flagstaff, etc. Given you have provided no context for what you consider "cheap" this is all just wild stabs in the dark.
Unfortunately, I cannot afford to do months of research, just looking to stretch a dollar asap and get out of CA asap (and get rid of SMOG check headache).

Last edited by strangger; 05-13-2021 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-13-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangger View Post
Yes, have no any preferance for Arizona. yes, just trying to get of CA.
The only reason I started with AZ is that its just the closest to CA, and I will need to rent U-Haul or similar (U-Haul cost 3300$ to Kansas e.g.).

Just found about SB 1070 bill - may be AZ isn't for foreigners at all?
This again? SB 1070 was 11 years ago. Much has changed here since then.

And I have no clue where you can live in a safe place for $700 anymore.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Sierra Vista seems like the best fit. No clue what the rental scene is like, but housing prices are very affordable. Mild climate too
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona