U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 09:50 PM

176 posts, read 119,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's good news that Arizona is being showcased nationally in a positive way. I would like to see us become more than just a tech hub, however. Major financial centers, manufacturing, and other types of companies are headquartered in the large Texas cities. It's all part of a robust, diversified economy, which is what Arizona needs to become more aggressive on (specifically in the Phoenix metro).
Seems we will never get it. Texas will get the headquarters and big business. We get data centers, and electric car “companies” they probably are shell corps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 03:08 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,674 posts, read 9,303,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd rather see a data center built then another golf course. Just saying.
Yep, incredible and only recently became aware of just how many of these things there are... in the middle of the flippin' desert no less, and Golfing ain't exactly a drought-tolerant 'sport'?!

Phoenix and its neighboring communities are home to nearly 200 golf courses

Old 05-22-2021, 12:23 PM

4,242 posts, read 4,482,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
The fact that they are building an endless sea of data centers (which require 24/7 cooling) in the middle of a scorching hot desert
Because data centers have to battle humidity as much as heat, a facility in Arizona requires as much cooling infrastructure as one in the world's biggest data center hub in Northern Virginia.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:14 PM

56,223 posts, read 31,115,460 times
The state has certainly undergone a sea change in the last 25 years. How good that change has been is a matter of perspective.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:46 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,609,895 times
I found the report intriguing. The good news is Arizona is drawing those types of companies. The bad news is the cost of living (housing in particular) is rapidly rising as a result of the influx of people from more expensive states looking for cheaper housing. It's a catch-22 in my opinion.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:32 PM

546 posts, read 233,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The state has certainly undergone a sea change in the last 25 years. How good that change has been is a matter of perspective.
Profound wisdom!

Old 05-25-2021, 03:52 PM

56,223 posts, read 31,115,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Profound wisdom!
Not seeking to drop any profundity, but what I said really is the truth. If you’re an old Arizonan and like the way things were before the population boom, then you probably don’t care if the economy has become more dynamic and you probably scoff af all the new roads, freeways, housing developments and bad traffic. You were likely comfortable with the old regime that ran the state as their own personal right to work fiefdom. You know...the state of Goldwater’s Dept Store, cotton plantations and horse ranches, bottom of the barrel wages, entrenched Republicanism, swamp coolers, and politically powerful Mormons. That’s the Arizona I grew up in, and a helluva lot of people wanted it to remain that way.

Then you’ve got the group who wanted and got the changes they sought, and if you’re currently living here, then I don’t have to describe today’s Arizona. It’s damn sure a far cry from the old Arizona.

I probably sit somewhere in the middle of the two. I miss the old state, but I most certainly appreciate the dynamism and diversity of the new state.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:05 AM

23,806 posts, read 12,943,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
The fact that they are building an endless sea of data centers (which require 24/7 cooling) in the middle of a scorching hot desert says everything you need to know about how out of whack our priorities are. Arizona is basically saying hey, here’s a bunch of free money/tax breaks to be wasteful, negligent, and worsen our sustainability issues.

Meanwhile, officials are becoming increasingly alarmed about the water situation and are, for the first time, talking very seriously about shortages and forced restrictions. But that’s no reason to slow growth. Why worry about the state of the environment or our quality of life in 10 years when there is money to be made today.
I can agree that working towards environmental sustainability should be a high priority. The problem is that everywhere has challenges or have you found a perfect place to develop? I just got back to Phoenix after 2.5 weeks in Florida and Louisiana and I'm not sure that living in s swamp with the occasional hurricane is any more sustainable than building society in the desert....close call.

It's certainly more sustainable to build data centers in the desert than agriculture that sucks up so much of our water resources or golf courses. The truth is that many people love living in the area and development will continue until water resources are hard to come by.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:46 PM

1,094 posts, read 3,098,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
omg

None of this is about warehouses and data centers. Semi conductor manufacturing already exists in the Valley, so does aerospace engineering and manufacturing, electric car manufacturing has already begun, and yes, many technology companies have already moved here.

Most of what is being discussed in the video exists and is functioning as business in the Valley today. There is just a continuing and growing expansion of it all on a pretty large scale.

I group myself into this, but .. remember it's ok City-Data people .. it's ok to go outside and experience reality.

Don't JUST "read" and "hear" about things for 40yrs.

Go outside .. see it for yourself. The Phoenix Metro area really is growing up. Life is going on out there ... now get out there, get away from that keyboard and/or phone.

You correct Tele and that poster(referencing 40 years) is impressed with himself and thinks he is an expert on the Valley - just ignore.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:39 PM

798 posts, read 615,487 times
That video was interesting to watch! I knew many companies had been coming to the Valley, but the video mentioned a few I hadn't heard about. Thanks for posting it, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona