Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 04:33 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,349,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Washington #1? Hilarious.
And Minnesota #2?

I don't know, but I've never heard of too many people yearning to move to Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 06:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
And Minnesota #2?

I don't know, but I've never heard of too many people yearning to move to Minnesota?
What makes you think that this survey has anything to do with where people are “yearning to move to”?

Old 06-10-2021, 10:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Arizona, already in the bottom half, falls further among the "best."

Arizona Falls in Ranking of "best states"

Arizona finished 39th overall, slipping five spots, in a study analyzing the 50 states for health care, education, the economy and other key categories conducted by U.S. News & World Report.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...es/4626298001/
They do not prioritize the right things so it creates an inaccurate poll. Some things like polling. weather,food prices,insurance costs,property taxes and road conditions are not correctly weighed in the polling.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:00 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
They do not prioritize the right things so it creates an inaccurate poll. Some things like polling. weather,food prices,insurance costs,property taxes and road conditions are not correctly weighed in the polling.
Education seems lacking too...

Old 06-11-2021, 03:07 AM

140 posts, read 317,211 times
Don't you just love the Media.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:17 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I sometimes wonder if that is the idea. They continually point all all that's wrong implying that their way will fix these things. There is a recurring theme it seems. Some even come right out and post, 'we're taking over so get with it or get out of the way'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
"...preserve its heritage and traditions." Overwhelmingly Democrat up through the 1950's. Things change. Deal with it.
I rest my case. And as an aside, the Democratic party is nothing at all like it was in the 1950's.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:07 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Not the argument being made. The argument is fleeing high taxes and homes you cannot afford and still voting for the same policies here that created the problem you are fleeing.
There are many reasons for moving here (or anywhere) aside from fleeing high taxes and expensive homes. No matter which state I've lived in, I've found things that were great, good, bad, horrible. And Arizona is no exception.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:24 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,349,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I rest my case. And as an aside, the Democratic party is nothing at all like it was in the 1950's.

That just goes to show how truly ignorant some people are.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:41 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Arizona, already in the bottom half, falls further among the "best."

Arizona Falls in Ranking of "best states"

Arizona finished 39th overall, slipping five spots, in a study analyzing the 50 states for health care, education, the economy and other key categories conducted by U.S. News & World Report.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...es/4626298001/
Having visited Arizona not too long ago, (around the Grand Canyon, Phoenix, Sedona, Scottsdale), and because I have friends in Washington, family in Utah, I passed along your survey to some other people I know. Should make them feel good to see their state rank highly. Thanks.

I can relate to many a comment posted in this thread. Others I don't agree with...

Other than four years in Hawaii, I've lived all my life here in California. My wife grew up in Idaho and Utah. We really enjoyed our trip to Arizona. Truly beautiful although quite different from our environment here at home. Hot, hot, hot, and heat is generally not my friend unless I can be in the water. In Arizona, my wife and I would be up early to get in our hikes before it got too hot to be doing any exercise. Then poolside during the hotter part of the day. What's not to like about that? Otherwise, I get hot, sticky and uncomfortable in warmer weather as a rule which might be why I am much more comfortable (and happy) to be here in Northern California. On the Monterey Bay where I don't think the weather can be any better. We walk, bike or do some kind of exercise in all the beautiful spots around here just about every day of the year.

I too have been glad to read about Californians leaving California, because we've got more than enough people here, but as I have also always pointed out, California can be many things to different people depending on what part of California we're talking about. We're a big state, and for all practical purposes we have it all. "Good, bad and ugly." We have deserts, mountains, forests, farm land (to feed the rest of America) and of course lots of shoreline (along rivers, lakes and the ocean). Being close to the water has always been important to me.

Also of course, cost of living is high here. CAN be high here, but there are also less expensive areas in California. Less expensive for many of the same reasons that other states are less expensive. Generally speaking, however, "you get what you pay for," and there is a reason housing is as expensive as it is in California, especially close to the water.

Ultimately it always boils down to "different strokes for different folks," and I've noticed nobody is more bullish on their state, regardless the state, than the people who live there.

Why do people move where they do (or stay put)? There are lots of reasons that don't always have to do with preference, but I for one have never felt any pull to live anywhere over where we live now. I've enjoyed many a visit to Washington, Oregon, Utah, Illinois, Florida, Georgia, Texas, New York, the Northern East Coast. Hawaii too of course. All over the state of California, and I could go on for some time about how enjoyable those places are too, but fortunately for us, we've retired where we always hoped to retire. In fact I didn't think we'd be able to end up where we are, but I'm thankful for every day we enjoy here, and enjoy it here we do. No matter how California may rank in these polls.

Given the issues California must contend with that other states don't need to, and given the high cost of housing, it's hard to expect California to rank above the likes of Utah, for example, given the criteria, but then again it all depends on where you live in California. I would move to another state if I was forced to live in some parts of California I can't stand, but the only move I've really made is from SoCal to NorCal, and boy am I glad I did...

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-11-2021 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-11-2021, 07:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
That’s pretty hard to do seeing as how we’ve always ranked somewhere barely north of hell in most categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona