Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,173,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As previously noted: There are a whole bunch of other laws that relate to "marriage" and "marital state" -

The term "marriage" must be defined -
Then why don't we hear about the other laws? Why is it I only hear about this from religious conservatives talking about the sanctity of marriage?

If we need to define it, then let's take religion out of it and allow any one human to marry another human? I hate having other people's "values" pushed on me.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,454,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I agree. I am not gay but I find it odd that government feels it should judiciate emotions/love.
Exactly, it seems sort of insecure on their part. I can't understand as long as the person or people you are with are of legal age and your not doing something against their wishes then why would you care what they do and who they do it too.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 AM

39,091 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Well, I hope voters speak up like they did in 06.
I suspect this version will be approved by voters. The previous one lost because it had many punitive measures included in addition to the anti-gay marriage amendment.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM

285 posts, read 902,576 times
Default This should have been approved the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Considering the many pressing issues facing us nowadays, it's a damn shame they have nothing more important to address!
I agree 100% bummer. I do understand this is an important subject but our county is in crisis.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,023,341 times
Tee hee...good one Jetset.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
I agree 100% bummer. I do understand this is an important subject but our county is in crisis.
Thanks, Shilo . . . definitely it is an important issue but AS important as so many other more pressing problems?

Wasting time on lesser issues is nothing but an "avoidance or spin" strategy for the job security of our lawmakers.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 PM

41 posts, read 191,374 times
This is what always makes me ponder...

I got married in Las Vegas, and besides a simple prayer in our service, there was really nothing religious about it. We wrote our own vows, had Elvis walk me down the aisle, and got married outside with just a small handful of family members.

So in the traditional sense, we have a civil union, right? Not really marriage at all. Yet, seems a little unfair that we get the benefits of marriage simply because we are an opposite-sex couple. I am sure there are many same-sex couples more religious than we, yet they cannot share these rights? Kinda sad if you ask me.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The cold reality is that all marriages today are civil unions-----one does not need a preacher, etc. to get hitched.

That stated: I have no problem with civil unions for same sex people age 18+------if nothing else; for the 'power of attorney' aspect of one partner making critical decisions for the other, etc.

To me: 'marriage' is that ritual held with family, friends and God to 'seal' the union on a 'moral' basis

Face it: many Sun City, etc. widows and widowers who become couples dare not not get married in the legal sense because it can ruin survivors' benefits, etc.------and, few people today would dare say such an older couple were living in sin.
Very well put!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,538,766 times
I wonder how a st8 person would like the population to vote on them for a change. Voting on a segment of the population to the extent that this goes has gone beyond inhumane. Whether someone is for this issue or not, it is still a human being that is being voted on, talked about and made to feel exactly like a 2nd class citizen in this country. Of course there is no problem in taxing them though.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 PM

683 posts, read 2,652,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I wonder how a st8 person would like the population to vote on them for a change. Voting on a segment of the population to the extent that this goes has gone beyond inhumane. Whether someone is for this issue or not, it is still a human being that is being voted on, talked about and made to feel exactly like a 2nd class citizen in this country. Of course there is no problem in taxing them though.
I bet you're a non-smoker. I'd like to have a bar where I can hang out with other smokers and have a cigarette and a beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: