Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 10:17 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I disagree. Ex-New Yorker's comments were appropriate and welcome.

Yeah, that always works.
Thank You!!!

I moved to Arizona not only because I love the Great American Southwest but because I got so sick and tired of living amongst amoral busybodies dictating to others how they should live their lives and using the power of government to enforce it. Or trying to shame and ridicule people who don't subscribe to their way of thinking. That to me is a New England "vibe" it has nothing to do with the scenery or weather. I know because I've spent the greater part of my life living in the Northeast. I'd hate to see the Southwest become anything like the Northeast. Moving out here has been a liberating experience for us. I thank God and I'm grateful for that.

So far I have not found that New England "vibe" here in Arizona but then again I don't live in Phoenix or Tucson and avoid both of those places like the plague. But Phoenix and Tucson are not small towns and are really no different than any other major city within the United States. For the most part there's a big difference between small town values and big city values throughout the entire United States. Of course there are people with small town values that live in big cities and people with big city values living in small towns. But for some reason or the other are stuck there. But those types of people are far and few between.

I guess you could consider me to be a proud flag waving, gun totin' pick up truck drivin' deplorable? Now all I've gotta' do is go out and "get me a huntin' license", pair of cowboy boots and a hat. Of course I'm being facetious in my last sentence.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:33 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just can't help but wonder why people are so darned determined to avoid people like me. You'd think I was a leper or something.
Myself, I'm not religious and don't care about what religion anyone else is as long as they don't try and force their religious beliefs on me. People are free as they should be to practice whatever religion they choose. That's what freedom of religion is all about and is a Constitutionally protected right provided in the religion clauses of the 1st Amendment.

If I meet someone for the first time I never ask or care what religion they are as it really is none of my business.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:40 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Thank You!!!

I moved to Arizona not only because I love the Great American Southwest but because I got so sick and tired of living amongst amoral busybodies dictating to others how they should live their lives and using the power of government to enforce it. Or trying to shame and ridicule people who don't subscribe to their way of thinking. That to me is a New England "vibe" it has nothing to do with the scenery or weather. I know because I've spent the greater part of my life living in the Northeast. I'd hate to see the Southwest become anything like the Northeast. Moving out here has been a liberating experience for us. I thank God and I'm grateful for that.

So far I have not found that New England "vibe" here in Arizona but then again I don't live in Phoenix or Tucson and avoid both of those places like the plague. But Phoenix and Tucson are not small towns and are really no different than any other major city within the United States. For the most part there's a big difference between small town values and big city values throughout the entire United States. Of course there are people with small town values that live in big cities and people with big city values living in small towns. But for some reason or the other are stuck there. But those types of people are far and few between.

I guess you could consider me to be a proud flag waving, gun totin' pick up truck drivin' deplorable? Now all I've gotta' do is go out and "get me a huntin' license", pair of cowboy boots and a hat. Of course I'm being facetious in my last sentence.
That was exactly my point. Whatever you believe to be the "New England vibe" is irrelevant and none of what you injected into this thread was mentioned in the OP. Just because someone isn't a regressive, redneck type doesn't make them any less of an Arizonan, despite what you try to portray. The last election is proof of those sorts actually being the minority. You found your slice of deplorable (your words) heaven and someone else could also find their version, even if that is intellectual, progressive, and liberal. Again, it's a diverse state made up of all types.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:40 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
You will not like it here. Try Jerome. It's the closest walk-able downtown to Sedona. Otherwise, Arizona is known to be a terrible™ place.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:55 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Why are transplants obsessed with recreating wherever they come from out here? If you like where you are, just stay there. New England is so different culturally on certain fundamental levels and desiring a sunny Burlington or Concord is not going to change that.

People move here trying to recreate California, recreate Ohio (yes, there's an entire neighborhood in Tucson dedicated to recreating Shaker Heights), recreate New England... enough is enough. How about preserving Arizona for what it is?

Old 06-22-2021, 04:50 PM

525 posts, read 539,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Why are transplants obsessed with recreating wherever they come from out here? If you like where you are, just stay there. New England is so different culturally on certain fundamental levels and desiring a sunny Burlington or Concord is not going to change that.

People move here trying to recreate California, recreate Ohio (yes, there's an entire neighborhood in Tucson dedicated to recreating Shaker Heights), recreate New England... enough is enough. How about preserving Arizona for what it is?
Yes, completely agree. Stop trying to find a city in Arizona that will match New England. Your expectations are too high and not realistic. If I wanted to move to the New England area and told people there I wanted to find something like Arizona I would be laughed out of town.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
If I wanted to move to the New England area and told people there I wanted to find something like Arizona I would be laughed out of town.
That's funny because of course you would! No Arizonan would ever think there was a little slice of AZ to find in New England. This boards response has actually been mild at the ridiculousness of this post.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:16 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
It's understandable if the OP was looking for something in common to New England from the Great Lakes region or Pacific Northwest. Both areas have bodies of water, rainy weather and seafood. But comparing it to Arizona, come on man. She needs to be realistic.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:33 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
It's understandable if the OP was looking for something in common to New England from the Great Lakes region or Pacific Northwest. Both areas have bodies of water, rainy weather and seafood. But comparing it to Arizona, come on man. She needs to be realistic.
That doesn't mean that there can't be attributes the overlap. There are. As mentioned several times, Flagstaff. I don't think they were seeking a carbon copy of Newburyport.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:26 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
All the guys I work with are ex- or retired military (to include myself) dyed-in-the-Red, hardcorps Conservative types with enough guns to arm a small banana republic. Among all this is one Democrat Hippie self-proclaimed "tree hugger".

Oddly enough, we all get along
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona