Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 03:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,635,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Would have preferred Basha's getting bought out by Smith's out of Utah or King Soopers in Colorado, not another California chain.
Smith's and King Soopers are both owned by Kroger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That would be a potential anti-trust issue as Kroger's owns Smith's and King Soopers and Fry's. Besides, Fry's has Arizona very well covered at this time.

==============

Raley's taking over Basha's is a complete upgrade and Raley's prices are prices very similar to Safeway.
Actually outside the Phoenix and Tucson metros, the only other Fry's (if you don't count Smith's) are in Yuma, Sierra Vista, Prescott, Cottonwood and Flagstaff

Old 10-11-2021, 08:15 AM

50,911 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
Bashas prices were absolutely insane compared to other stores. Not surprising they are gone.
Well, let's see. I hear people around here telling me that Safeway's/Albertson's prices are the worst. I hear people around here telling me that Basha's prices are the worst. I hear people around here telling me that Fry's prices are the worst.

I'm glad it's settled.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Actually outside the Phoenix and Tucson metros, the only other Fry's (if you don't count Smith's) are in Yuma, Sierra Vista, Prescott, Cottonwood and Flagstaff
Should mention I forgot Globe

Old 10-12-2021, 06:09 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, let's see. I hear people around here telling me that Safeway's/Albertson's prices are the worst. I hear people around here telling me that Basha's prices are the worst. I hear people around here telling me that Fry's prices are the worst.

I'm glad it's settled.
When I was briefly in the supermarket marketing world, I had to visit every chain. The business model for Basha's, Safeway and Albertson's for the most part was that they had smaller stores, higher prices and were set up for the person that needed 1-2 items after work and didn't mind spending $2-3 more than they should for each item. Rarely, if ever did you see someone with a shopping cart doing their weekly grocery run at those stores.

Basha's was by far the worst. Remember seeing them run a single bag of coffee on sale for $9.99, down from their regular price of $11.99. Over at Fry's, the same brand was normally priced $8.99 and could be found on sale every 4-5 weeks for $6.99.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,830,560 times
Not sure why we have so many different grocery store chains. This was a shocker price for me when I went to Florida and it was basically Publix and... Walmart. There were some Winn-Dixies but they went out of business in my family's part of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
Miles of warehouses and data centers

The only real unfortunate outcome of this. I never shopped at Bashas. I always shop at Fry's and occasionally Trader Joe's.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Not sure why we have so many different grocery store chains. This was a shocker price for me when I went to Florida and it was basically Publix and... Walmart. There were some Winn-Dixies but they went out of business in my family's part of the state.

The only real unfortunate outcome of this. I never shopped at Bashas. I always shop at Fry's and occasionally Trader Joe's.
It's common in bigger cities. Here in SoCal (where I work), there is Ralph's, Vons, Albertsons, Stater Bros, Food4Less, 99 Ranch Market, Cardenas, Aldi and then of course for higher end, you have Whole Foods, Sprouts and Trader Joes (and I didn't even count WalMart or Target)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona