Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 22,179 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much everyone for all the information, I am actually getting more excited about moving there!! Any other information anyone has will be greatly appreciated. It is nice to hear so many positive things about a place we are going to be moving our family too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Chloe31 -

You are quite welcome.

I can understand your excitement. It looks like you've gotten some really good information - especially from AverageAmerican - and I have to say that I particularly agree with BluePacifics' comments about how amazing the Monsoon Season is and the fact that if Sierra Vista was in California it would have exploded in size. The fact is, SE Arizona is kind of a surprizing secret. While Tucson and (especially Phoenix) continue to explode despite their far more brutal heat, Sierra Vista and it's neighbors continue to lag far behind. Don't get me wrong - there has obviously been some substantial growth recently (as evidenced by the new housing developments and shopping complexes) but - so far at least - Sierra Vista seems to remain at the "sweet spot" in regards to city size - big enough to have everything you need, but still small enough to not feel congested. No matter where you are, it will be but a short drive and you'll soon find yourself out in the surrounding countryside. Not sure how long that will be case, but it seems that way for now.

Speaking of countryside - there is miles and miles and miles of empty space and views of distant mountains in pretty much all directions I remember being particular impressed by the views East (across the gently sloping San Pedro Valley and South down into some of the large peaks in Mexico) as we rounded the bend down on Highway 92 (south of Sierra Vista) heading over to Bisbee. It was one of those "Oh My!" kind of moments where we simply HAD to stop the car and get out to admire the view. It seems like you can see FOREVER

A note regarding the Monsoon Season: When we passed through that area last August, we were fortunate enough to be driving south of town on Highway 92 right after a heavy rain and imagine my surprise and delight to look off to the SW and spot an enormous sparkling waterfall cascading down the mountainside well over a mile away (probably more like 2 actually). With the surrounding peaks lush and green as they are that time of year and the warm moist air heavily scented as it is after a rain, for a moment I felt I was back on the island of Kauai looking across Waimea Canyon at the waterfalls on the other side. Apparently the waterfall doesn't generally last very long, but it is truly spectacular and enormously high as it plunges down the face of the peak. So, if you remember it at some point during the Monsoon Season, I highly recommend you try and catch of glimpse of this event.

Here is a photo of the waterfall that's right here on the City-Data site. It's a bit blurry, but will give you an idea of it's size:

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ : Carr Canyon Waterfall photo

And another photo - smaller this time, but giving a broader perspective:

National Parks and Forests of southeast Arizona

It was very, very cool indeed.

Ken

Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
The two things that concern me about the SV area are the potential water shortages and the proximity to the Mexican border (with its well known sets of problems).

Otherwise; SV is God's country IMHO

Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 22,179 times
Thanks Ken for more info, the pics are great, and I agree the waterfall does look like Waimea Canyon, I swam below those falls when I took a trip to Kauai!! I look forward to going to Sierra vista, we might be a little delayed now, we were hoping to get there in July, we will now get there within the next 6 months.

Appreciate all the info guys
Chloe

Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 PM

15 posts, read 56,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The Sierra Vista area is gorgeous IMHO and has arguably the best overall weather in Arizona. Mild summers and no winters by Michigan standards.

OTOH: the area apparently has problems with water supplies and its proximity to Mexico means issues with illegal immigrants and drug runners passing through. But; there is lots of law enforcement trying to maintain the peace.

That stated:
If the wind ever stops blowing it won't be to bad LOL..I hate the wind!1

Old 06-13-2008, 02:03 PM

165 posts, read 512,337 times
Angry Best of luck

You are so lucky, I too am in MI and have had my house on the market for 16 months. I'm going to relocate to northern AZ Verdy Valley area, I was their last year twice and just loved it.
I work with a guy from SV and he really misses it, moved to MI for his wife.
just like Stumblina I envy you. please enjoy AZ for us stuck back in MI...
Debbie SE MI

Old 06-13-2008, 02:17 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
I know nothing about school systems or moving to SV, but I can tell you about visiting there -- amazing!!!!

My DH and I spent an idyllic week in SE Arizona birdwatching in 2001 and we LOVED it. It was such a surprise to experience such great weather and such beautiful scenery. The mountains near SV are simply gorgeous. Lots of great hiking. We went to Carr Canyon (oh my what a road!,) Miller Canyon, Garden Canyon, Ramsey Canyon, the Huachuca Mountains and Scheelite Canyon (where we went on the most incredible hike of my life -- we saw spotted owls!) If my hubby could find a job there, we'd absolutely move there (he's a professor and there are no opportunities in his field there.)

Have a great time there!! I'm jealous!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:11 PM

39 posts, read 176,437 times
I can't believe I opened a post regarding Sierra Vista, and it was positive!

I lived at Fort Huachuca for five years, and they actually would issue the soldiers fliers advising them of the dangers of 'Sierra Vista"
I mean, perhaps there is a nice neighborhood out of the town? But the town is a dirty mess.
illegal immigration is TERRIBLE and add to that that entire section of the town is addicted/using Crystal Meth. The main street in the town is called "Fry" and there is a mini ghetto backed up to it the locals call "Fry Town" a filthy collection of trailers, broken down cars, and abused children.
The local economy is a MESS.
The scenery is nice, but this really is a dangerous place. I couldn't let this thread continue without a realty check.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:04 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaK View Post

I lived at Fort Huachuca for five years, and they actually would issue the soldiers fliers advising them of the dangers of 'Sierra Vista"
I mean, perhaps there is a nice neighborhood out of the town? But the town is a dirty mess.
illegal immigration is TERRIBLE and add to that that entire section of the town is addicted/using Crystal Meth. The main street in the town is called "Fry" and there is a mini ghetto backed up to it the locals call "Fry Town" a filthy collection of trailers, broken down cars, and abused children.
The scenery is nice, but this really is a dangerous place. I couldn't let this thread continue without a realty check.
I know that Huachuca City is sketchy but; Sierra Vista proper?

Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaK View Post

Sorry, but EVERY statistic I have seen ALWAYS ranks Sierra Vista crime as significantly lower than the national average so I can't help but feel that your personal experiences have perhaps skewed your perception of the place.

Even Huachuca City's stats in this regard are reasonbly good - though clearly not as good as Sierra Vista's.

It IS true that the end of Fry near the base is "less than desirable" but that's just a small part of the town and in truth areas of ANY city nearest a military base (and I say this as a former military brat who grew up on/near bases) are usually not that nice.

While I can't say for sure, I would actually doubt illegal immigrants make up much of Sierra Vista's population as the border patrol and the US military are EVERYWHERE. Seems to me a pretty risky place for illegal immigrants to hang out. I would think they would want to get away from the area ASAP.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona