Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 02:03 PM

30,625 posts, read 19,338,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
In Era of Drought, Phoenix Prepares for a Future Without Colorado River Water

Title of the article says it all. I have relatives living in Phoenix. I'm worried about them. They're too old to move. Every year the Colorado River looks smaller. What is Arizona going to do for water? Do they have any other sources that can adequately provide water for 7 million inhabitants?

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-p...do-river-water
Don't worry, Phoenix has an abundance of water. Water for such uses as agriculture probably need to be curtailed. The suburb where I live has sufficient water for the next 100 years even if it grows 4 times larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 05:02 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,346,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
In Era of Drought, Phoenix Prepares for a Future Without Colorado River Water

Title of the article says it all. I have relatives living in Phoenix. I'm worried about them. They're too old to move. Every year the Colorado River looks smaller. What is Arizona going to do for water? Do they have any other sources that can adequately provide water for 7 million inhabitants?

https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-p...do-river-water
One interesting item I took from the article was this one:

Then in 1276, tree ring data shows, a withering drought descended on the Southwest, lasting more than two decades

If the same thing happens now....it will be blamed on "climate change".

Food for thought.

Old 11-21-2021, 09:27 AM

51,026 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
One interesting item I took from the article was this one:

Then in 1276, tree ring data shows, a withering drought descended on the Southwest, lasting more than two decades

If the same thing happens now....it will be blamed on "climate change".

Food for thought.
Well, in 1276, that would be climate change, too. Climate change doesn't only happen because of man. Food for thought.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:21 AM

2,926 posts, read 3,106,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, in 1276, that would be climate change, too. Climate change doesn't only happen because of man. Food for thought.
You must be ignoring the underlying fact that today 'climate change' means something different than climate change meant then. When people call out "climate change" or "Global Warming" they are actually calling out something that has been infused with almost more political meaning than it does environmental.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:21 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,260,783 times
Quote:
Then in 1276, tree ring data shows, a withering drought descended on the Southwest, lasting more than two decades.
This was interesting because 1276 would have been during the Medieval warm period (see the image below from this reference (author By RCraig09 - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=87832845 )

Quote:
Global average temperatures show that the Medieval Warm Period was not a planet-wide phenomenon
so exactly what happened in the SW during this drought isnt known - except the tree ring data. Most of the temperature data records from that long ago would have come from Greenland and Antarctica ice core readings.

But. current global temperatures are considerably higher than during the medieval warm period. What that means for droughts.. who knows but we have added energy to a complex nonlinear system and weird things can happen.

We live near a tributary to the Colorado river during the summer and witnessed something unusual this last October. We drove by Blue Mesa Reservoir on the Gunnison river in Colorado which feeds into the Colorado river. I took the picture at the bottom of the post this last October and looked into why the lake was so low. Google found this link from Sept 3, 2021 https://www.cpr.org/2021/09/03/blue-...#39;s%20bottom

From the article

Quote:
Lake Powell, the second-largest reservoir in the U.S., hit its lowest level ever recorded earlier this summer.

The states that share Colorado River water agreed to this plan in 2019. Low levels in Lake Powell would trigger an emergency release from three reservoirs upstream.

The water taken from Blue Mesa is being used to make sure hydroelectric power turbines at Lake Powell can keep spinning and generating electricity for millions of people in the West, including customers in Colorado.

John McClow, a lawyer for the Upper Gunnison River Conservancy District, said this scenario is what Blue Mesa and the other reservoirs were built for in the 1960s — drought emergencies, not recreation. It’s a bank of water that states can tap when they need to.
I usually dont worry about this much but things like Lake Powell hitting historic low levels requiring draining some big upstream lakes to keep the electricity flowing is at least something to watch. FYI, this lake normally is down somewhat in the fall but this is WAY down.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:31 PM

10,380 posts, read 6,944,708 times
You know, it seems every once in a while, a "news" paper/organization must publish the "sky is falling" to sell newspapers. Otherwise, their "self-importance" diminishes. And they can't have that!
I don't know how many droughts I've lived thru. I don't see this drought markedly different than the previous drought. Or, the one before that one.

Usually, they are followed by "Record setting flooding" or some such. (Then, to beat their own drum even more, they have the audacity to tell us "We're NOT outta the woods yet, on the drought" as they show live video of the aquifers spilling over their banks and "releasing" water because they're afraid the dams will bust.)

Actually, it's comical to sit back and watch them work their audience. They're almost as smooth as those TV evangelists...

Those cats are POLISHED!

Old 12-06-2021, 01:36 PM

13,413 posts, read 7,418,896 times
One of the problems no one is talking about is the Nuclear power plant gets all its water from treated sewage water using 40k gallons a minute in the winter and 60k gallons a minute in the summer.

With reductions in water usage being applied to homes, and business's that plant will receive less water. I don't know what the limits are but I do know last year the plant tried to get well water, but it was not approved.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2020/...ear-water-use/

Old 12-06-2021, 05:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,080,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And do keep in mind that it is a "desert river". As a person with two degrees in geology, I've seen many streams that were once defined a "perennial" that are now dry.
Serious question...........which streams??

Old 12-07-2021, 05:04 AM

23,286 posts, read 29,145,078 times
Wise old saying: Water will always arise to $$$!

Lots of excess water in Canada! If they can send oil downward, why not water?

Pipe it down along the Pacific coast to Southern California, then they won't the need for Colorado River water, and that water can be shared with AZ and NV!

Let me repeat myself: water will always arise to $$$

And those in other parts of the country, due to an extended drought, they could be without water also. It almost happened to Atlanta 10+ years ago!

Old 12-07-2021, 12:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,617,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Wise old saying: Water will always arise to $$$!

Lots of excess water in Canada! If they can send oil downward, why not water?

Pipe it down along the Pacific coast to Southern California, then they won't the need for Colorado River water, and that water can be shared with AZ and NV!

Let me repeat myself: water will always arise to $$$

And those in other parts of the country, due to an extended drought, they could be without water also. It almost happened to Atlanta 10+ years ago!
Never going to happen.

This article explains why.

"“Whenever anybody actually studied the feasibility of these things, they’d get about a nickel back for every dollar invested, so neither country took them very seriously,” he said. That’s because water is heavy, and moving it uphill, out of a river basin, requires a lot of energy. That cost alone far surpasses what you’d get for selling the water to the agriculture industry, the largest potential customer."

https://www.hcn.org/articles/could-c...nias-drought-1

A letter to the editor of the LA Times.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...he-great-lakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona