Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 09:35 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Last time I went was in early 2021 and it was enforced heavily. But I'm done going there. It was so trashy (way worse than I've ever seen it). Homeless people everywhere. People smoking pot on the strip blowing smoke in children's faces as they walked by. It was a sad state of affairs. But this is to be expected when leftists run a city. Happens....every....single....time.
Vegas has never been a place for kids, any smart parent should already know that. When my kids have tournaments up there we stay off-strip.

I don't know if I'd call it trashy, but I stayed in a nice hotel and ate at very nice restaurants. It's great having plenty of fine dining options walkable to your resort. I avoid the buffets and low rent hotels.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Vegas has never been a place for kids, any smart parent should already know that. When my kids have tournaments up there we stay off-strip.

I don't know if I'd call it trashy, but I stayed in a nice hotel and ate at very nice restaurants. It's great having plenty of fine dining options walkable to your resort. I avoid the buffets and low rent hotels.
Exactly. Vegas can be great if you do it right. Lux hotel, tons of excellent restaurants, shows. Just don’t stay at Circus Circus and walk to M&M land and then complain that it’s trashy. It is what you make of it.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:44 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Last time I went was in early 2021 and it was enforced heavily. But I'm done going there. It was so trashy (way worse than I've ever seen it). Homeless people everywhere. People smoking pot on the strip blowing smoke in children's faces as they walked by. It was a sad state of affairs. But this is to be expected when leftists run a city. Happens....every....single....time.
Here we go with the "leftist" talk again. Some people never see that it's far more complicated than one single group ruling your life... OMG! It's so terrible that you can't -- no, refuse -- see the full picture. And of course, you would never deign to examine what is wrong with your side. No one faction is perfect. It's so easy to blame one side you deem "evil" without looking in your own backyard as well. (Oh excuse me! They can do no wrong! I beg your pardon!) /sarcasm

Old 02-08-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Here we go with the "leftist" talk again. Some people never see that it's far more complicated than one single group ruling your life... OMG! It's so terrible that you can't -- no, refuse -- see the full picture. And of course, you would never deign to examine what is wrong with your side. No one faction is perfect. It's so easy to blame one side you deem "evil" without looking in your own backyard as well. (Oh excuse me! They can do no wrong! I beg your pardon!) /sarcasm
Exactly. The polarized anger by many is blinding, and nonstop. There are plenty of right-wing disasters. I think we covered MS pretty well. Vegas is unique due to the gaming industry. Whether one loves or hates it, it's not due to politics, but some people are simply obsessed with constant cheerleading for 'their side'.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:14 AM

Right now I'm having to listen to delusional rhetoric from the gubernatorial candidates here in Alabama. Actually I just use the mute button. Waste of time listening to absolutely delusional garbage and driving dead points into the ground (dead servicemen in Afghanistan, stolen election, build that wall, we don't teach hate in our schools (critical race theory). These people actually believe that racism doesn't exist in our country.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Right now I'm having to listen to delusional rhetoric from the gubernatorial candidates here in Alabama. Actually I just use the mute button. Waste of time listening to absolutely delusional garbage and driving dead points into the ground (dead servicemen in Afghanistan, stolen election, build that wall, we don't teach hate in our schools (critical race theory). These people actually believe that racism doesn't exist in our country.
Eek. I like a lot about the south but could never live there surrounded by such backwards, paranoid thinking.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:25 AM

And look what they did to Don Siegelman (former governor). Destroyed a man's life, but they couldn't prevent him from getting his law license back. The disconnect is so strong here. Really religious people, so friendly but so full of hate for liberals and dare I say, for a lot of them, for blacks. I live in a town that used to be a sundown town! It's just beyond me... still I think it's necessary for folks to see how others live and have been raised for many generations.

Eh don't tell me to move. There are a lot of good points to living here. I live with someone who's reasonable and doesn't like it any more than I do. There are plenty of people like that, they just have to stay quiet. He always says to me, don't say anything 'til the food comes!

Old 02-08-2022, 10:40 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I was just in Vegas for NYE and the bowl game, masking was not actually enforced. At all. It's just nice to know that if you want to put $50 on the Rams on Sunday that you can (here too, but not in Texas). Or if you want to take the edge off with a few puffs off a joint rather than other methods, you can (here too, but not in Texas). Texas thinks you need to be protected from yourself, I prefer to live the one life I was given with freedom of choice.
Historically, Texas was somewhat Libertarian (especially in the western parts), but it became less so over the years with the influence of the Bible Belt. That might begin to change due to all the rapid growth, especially in the larger cities/metro regions, and it's becoming much more diverse. The rural southern states near Texas (AR, LA, MS, AL) will likely remain the same for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
We have an Alabama transplant here running for Senator (Jim Lamon). For the last few months, he's been bombarding the airwaves & internet. I don't think he stands much of a chance, but I always put him on mute whenever I hear his southern drawl ("Ah'm Jim Lamon and Ah aproooove this message"). Sorry, but I find that southern redneck accent about as annoying as the New Yoawk speak.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:45 AM

It IS very interesting. I've met some really educated and professional people who have that drawl and it's kind of curious to an outsider.

I live on the outskirts of Huntsville. The accent isn't as heavy there as it is in other places. What I like about the South is the "yes, ma'am" "no, ma'am" it's ingrained into the culture and I really like it.

I've thought about moving back to Arizona, but at this point in my life it's not happening and may never happen. To be honest, I'm not sure I want back in the impersonal hustle and bustle of the West, even though I spent my entire life there.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Historically, Texas was somewhat Libertarian (especially in the western parts), but it became less so over the years with the influence of the Bible Belt. That might begin to change due to all the rapid growth, especially in the larger cities/metro regions, and it's becoming much more diverse. The rural southern states near Texas (AR, LA, MS, AL) will likely remain the same for the foreseeable future.
Alabama is slowly changing due to growth. Huntsville is growing like a weed and there are many transplants here due to NASA, the FBI, Honda, Amazon, Toyota, etc. I think the growth will be slow enough that the tar and featherers will gradually accept it. Emphasis on gradually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona