Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 11:21 AM

258 posts, read 230,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
He's on his way out in like 6 months and will no longer have power. I ask again why should anyone moving from CA care what he thinks? He's scared shtless that AZ is getting more progressive, but he should have known that when he celebrated the expansion of tech jobs here. Moving in a more educated populace will lead to more progressiveness.
An interesting point in the last sentence. As I grew up in Boston area I know quite a few people that went to top schools including Harvard, Carnegie Melon, etc. Very much none of them are progressives. Most are centrist with a slight right or left lean. So why do people that got their education 20 years ago are normal while the more recent crops of graduates tend to lean to the left more than ever? I think the answer is simple and obvious - lefty brainwashing at college campuses. I heard about it from parents of recent students and just couldn't believe it but the more I look at things the more I realize it's probably true. And your last sentence in the comment seems to confirm it further.

What needs to be done is that ultra lefty professors need to be fired permanently from regular schools. There's no need for them to spread their propaganda and they need to be taught a lesson. But of course most schools won't do it because it's now trendy to brainwash your students to support the left.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
An interesting point in the last sentence. As I grew up in Boston area I know quite a few people that went to top schools including Harvard, Carnegie Melon, etc. Very much none of them are progressives. Most are centrist with a slight right or left lean. So why do people that got their education 20 years ago are normal while the more recent crops of graduates tend to lean to the left more than ever? I think the answer is simple and obvious - lefty brainwashing at college campuses. I heard about it from parents of recent students and just couldn't believe it but the more I look at things the more I realize it's probably true. And your last sentence in the comment seems to confirm it further.

What needs to be done is that ultra lefty professors need to be fired permanently from regular schools. There's no need for them to spread their propaganda and they need to be taught a lesson. But of course most schools won't do it because it's now trendy to brainwash your students to support the left.
This is obvious satire, right? Like you write for the Onion? I’m sure of it. Right???

Old 02-08-2022, 11:28 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This is the problem with you people - you really have no clue what you're talking about. I'm about as right wing as you can get, but I actually care about a lot of the issues you mentioned (except recycling, that is a joke nowadays). A lot of conservatives do. The difference is that we don't want daddy government taking care of it for us.
It's funny how you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and then you go on to say something as spectacularly stupid as this:

Quote:
The federal government should be abolished and leave it to a limited government state to figure out.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:28 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:

Hell, get rid of the ultra rights also. I don't have a need for the extremists on either side. The fact remains, educated people skew more progressive, so do younger people. Your anecdotal evidence of "people you knew" notwithstanding.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

We have an Alabama transplant here running for Senator (Jim Lamon). For the last few months, he's been bombarding the airwaves & internet. I don't think he stands much of a chance, but I always put him on mute whenever I hear his southern drawl ("Ah'm Jim Lamon and Ah aproooove this message"). Sorry, but I find that southern redneck accent about as annoying as the New Yoawk speak.
That guy sounds like Foghorn Leghorn. Voting for him would be like taking a giant step back to the 1930's

Old 02-08-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Another out-of-touch Boomer!

Students have "moved left" because they've had to. You cannot come of age, be a critical thinker and see the world around you right now without realizing how amazingly jacked up everything is!

The issues of climate change, finite resources, wealth hoarding, financial malfeasance on Wall Street and in politics, real estate upheaval, loss of freedoms in the workplace, etc., are all very relevant to newly graduated people.

You cannot come away knowing the totality of these things and then feel a sense of complacency. For the thinking student, these are dire issues.

Quote:
I just can't .... Geezuz!!!

Old 02-08-2022, 03:57 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Another out-of-touch Boomer!

Students have "moved left" because they've had to. You cannot come of age, be a critical thinker and see the world around you right now without realizing how amazingly jacked up everything is!

The issues of climate change, finite resources, wealth hoarding, financial malfeasance on Wall Street and in politics, real estate upheaval, loss of freedoms in the workplace, etc., are all very relevant to newly graduated people.

You cannot come away knowing the totality of these things and then feel a sense of complacency. For the thinking student, these are dire issues.

I just can't .... Geezuz!!!
You should realize that things have gotten way more "jacked up" since the progressive movement really took off in the late 60's. I'm 38 and I see the world for what it is.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You should realize that things have gotten way more "jacked up" since the progressive movement really took off in the late 60's. I'm 38 and I see the world for what it is.
There was nothing really "progressive" about that time in history, other than Boomers not wanting to be shipped off to Vietnam and being vocal about it?

Nothing "progressive" about acid trips, cocaine binges, overdosing on pills, having orgies and experimenting sexually. None of that collectively helped the working class or made living conditions better. It was largely, "...I hate my mommy and daddy, I hate our family structure, I hate the church, I hate that I can't openly smoke (fill in the blank with your drug of choice) in the school bathroom...wah...wah...woe is me!"

Don't mistake hedonism and nihlism for "progress"!

The Boomers inherited a top-notch social safety net and then proceeded to gut it and trash it when they got a taste of the corporate world. They then turned their hatred toward the poor, the workers, organized labor, manufacturing, free and low cost education -- all things that they saw as impediments to wealth building. Is it a coincidence that the rise of conservative Talk Radio reached its zenith with Boomers in the 90s and early 2000s?

When they decided to come back to religion in their 40s and 50s, they traded social gospel theology for prosperity gospel theology (how convenient!)

Despite the Boomers and their protestations about Vietnam, that same generation then turned around and got us into two wars in Iraq, a war in Bosnia, 911, a 20-year war in Afghanistan and so on, and so forth.

Last edited by apple92680; 02-08-2022 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona