Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 02:02 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,016,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Attitudes and policies are shaped by history and largely because of the geography and terrain of a given location.

I have moved to the South, next door to Mississippi. I have visited Mississippi. The terrain and weather here does not lend itself to the same kind of growth as in other parts of the country - not by a long shot. Add in the long held customs of the area and changing circumstances (far worse weather, economics, religion, politics) and you have big issues. Here in the South attitudes and customs seem to me to be more deeply ingrained in terms of growth in rural areas.

I'm not going to go into detail, but those in the South know what I'm referring to. It's just completely different here. There's not much opportunity for diverse advancement due to the geographical location and the terrain. I'm not going to get into a long discussion or debate about it. My observations are purely from the standpoint of growing up in an rea that has mountains, plains, deserts and oceans. A place where incredibly diverse means of growth and economics can occur.

Here's another issue: In Alabama they are once again trying to pass legislation to allow the lottery. Time and again it gets shut down, largely because of the Bible Belt mentality here, even though it has shown theoretically that a lottery would help improve things. (You can research this on Alabama's websites.) I think eventually the lottery will pass and there will be one here, but it will likely still take a while.

(Now, I'm from California and the lottery helping education is a big fat joke and a travesty, so there's that.)

Another thing is that Mississippi doesn't have big cities, especially not like Huntsville, a major hub for NASA, the FBI, Honda, Toyota, Amazon (soon), and IT. If Mississippi had that they would have seen growth by now. The weather and bugs are bad enough here, let alone in MS with its proximity to the big river.
My point was, don't bash Mississippi. It is what it is. It's not going to change, for the reasons stated above.

Almost nobody thought Arizona would ever change but it has. For better and in some cases, worse.

After Arizona ges almost completely trashed there will be no place to run. Maybe New Mexico. Doubtful.

Last edited by pathrunner; 02-06-2022 at 02:42 AM..

Old 02-06-2022, 05:33 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,384,888 times
Good for your governor.

That's the problem with liberals....they ruin an area, but then get tired of the high taxes they have to pay, and move elsewhere...and do the same thing again.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:23 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,016,544 times
This is not the "politics and other controversies" forum.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:18 AM

7,520 posts, read 4,391,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
That is a gigantically huge pile of cow pies right there. I live in San Francisco - the tech hub. Tons of very well-paid techies left the place in the recent 2 years and it wasn't because they weren't paid enough at all. In fact, most tech companies cut the employees' salary after they left for cheaper areas to maintain the salary-to-cost-of-living ratio. But they still left because many were absolutely sick of godawful politics, never-ending regulations and general lefty crap (both physical and metaphorical). Most people that left are not real lefties because those tend despise Republican states like AZ, TX, FL, etc and would never move there to begin with.

Which brings us to the main problem - many of the remaining voters in the city who are not techies are complete and utter morons. I voted in every election since I moved to SF 8 years ago and I almost always lose because I vote for people that at least attempt to display a modicum of normalcy and common sense while the majority here picks some complete insane idiot with a crazy left agenda which makes everyone suffer but virtue signaling is far more important.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:04 AM

1,095 posts, read 826,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Not hating at all. Shoots, we're sending you all the poor people you want. As far as trailors why don't you go sell that to Monaco or Switzerland. CA is full. Brokeass people are attracted to Arizona. Can ya blame them. Yer trailer trash heaven!
I don't live in AZ. Regardless, I think it's incredibly sad that you keep disparaging poor people. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and still love the area in many ways. I left a few years ago, in part, because of the elitism and anti-poor attitude on display for all to see here. Pricing out poor people to other states or the street is not something to be celebrated. I hope folks elsewhere in the US make note of what passes as "progressive" in CA before looking to them for leadership and ideas.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:31 AM

55 posts, read 49,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
I don't live in AZ. Regardless, I think it's incredibly sad that you keep disparaging poor people. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and still love the area in many ways. I left a few years ago, in part, because of the elitism and anti-poor attitude on display for all to see here. Pricing out poor people to other states or the street is not something to be celebrated. I hope folks elsewhere in the US make note of what passes as "progressive" in CA before looking to them for leadership and ideas.
I've noted the same attitude both on the ground in certain parts of CA and it continues right here on this thread that really seemed to bring out a few of these "elitist's" who look down on poor people. I don't know if it's just out of spite, insecurity, or what the issue is, but it's an ugly side of humanity that is frankly sad.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:35 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert88 View Post
And yet you double down on your mean spiritedness, stereotypes, and make a big joke out of it.

Most telling.

And what's actually more interesting is this coming from an individual who posts so much about their fantasy that the Phoenix metro should be something it's not right now, this world-class magic place where the people here are not quite up to your high standards, not quite yet. I'm sure people reading posts like yours above will sure be impressed by the quality image of an actual Phoenix metro resident and your goal to project this impressive image you appear to want to push out there.
Yer jes too sensitive, and ain't got no sense ah humor. That thar's yer problum. Seems like y'all need to lighten up a weee little bit. And bah the way, bless yer heart (which in southern speak, means to git over yerself & deal wit' it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
The issue with poor people is when they remain poor all of their lives, largely because they don't have enough initiative to improve themselves & work their way out of their woeful financial situations. My main problem with them is when they rely on government handouts: everything from free education to child tax credits, and practically any other "entitlement" they can get. You know perfectly well that the ones defined as "low income" are on some kind of assistance, and we're all paying for it out of our taxes.

What's really strange about your attitude is what you define as "progressive". In reality, the so called "progressives" are the first ones to coddle these impoverished people with more government funded programs on the backs of the people who actually worked their way out of being poor, and became successful in life ... or at least, financially independent to where they don't need handouts. Many poor people are the way they are in life because of laziness, and their lack of common sense & financial smarts. That's their own doing. Nothing elitist about it ... just pure facts.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:49 AM

7,520 posts, read 4,391,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Yer jes too sensitive, and ain't got no sense ah humor. That thar's yer problum. Seems like y'all need to lighten up a weee little bit. And bah the way, bless yer heart (which in southern speak, means to git over yerself & deal wit' it).

The issue with poor people is when they remain poor all of their lives, largely because they don't have enough initiative to improve themselves & work their way out of their woeful financial situations. My main problem with them is when they rely on government handouts: everything from free education to child tax credits, and practically any other "entitlement" they can get. You know perfectly well that the ones defined as "low income" are on some kind of assistance, and we're all paying for it out of our taxes.

What's really strange about your attitude is what you define as "progressive". In reality, the so called "progressives" are the first ones to coddle these impoverished people with more government funded programs on the backs of the people who actually worked their way out of being poor, and became successful in life ... or at least, financially independent to where they don't need handouts. Many poor people are the way they are in life because of laziness, and their lack of common sense & financial smarts. That's their own doing. Nothing elitist about it ... just pure facts.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:56 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert88 View Post
I've noted the same attitude both on the ground in certain parts of CA and it continues right here on this thread that really seemed to bring out a few of these "elitist's" who look down on poor people. I don't know if it's just out of spite, insecurity, or what the issue is, but it's an ugly side of humanity that is frankly sad.
In the U.S (the most prosperous nation on earth), there is no reason why a person should be poor all of his/her life. So many opportunities exist to lift yourself up, but too many people refuse to put forth the effort, and would rather remain on the lower end of the scale & get freebies from the government as much as they can. Mississippi (the state you defend) contains a lot of those types.

Back to the topic: I agree with Ducey in principle that Arizona should be Arizona. The thing we have to keep in mind is: Arizona has been a high growth state for a while, and really doesn't show any signs of slowing down anytime soon. You can't expect to remain the same & not have some change with all the new growth. That's just impossible. While I don't AZ to copy CA, I certainly don't want to be like New Mexico, Louisiana, Michigan, or your beloved Mississippi where poverty, crime, low wage jobs, and stagnant growth are the rule of the land. Seems like you belong in a place like that from what I've seen of many of your posts.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:10 PM

55 posts, read 49,581 times
Quote:

People who work low income jobs aren't always lazy and don't always lack drive and initiative like you seem to arrogantly assume. I've met many over my life who work 2-3 jobs to make ends meet as not everyone has talents you or I may have to make a certain level of income. The may not have a certain level of innate intelligence to do many things. They may have a physical or health issue perhaps. And frankly some may not just have your high level of drive that meet your high lofty standards. Perhaps something to consider instead of disparaging others and laugh about them with a southern accent.

Quote:
Seems like you belong in a place like that from what I've seen of many of your posts.
So now you're going to assume what "place" I "belong"?

Unreal.

For the record, I love AZ and this is the place for me. My point, and you well know it, is your disparaging attitude towards others so detracting from that might work for others, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona