Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pending Permanent Daylight Saving Time - Good or Bad For Arizona?
Create a new time zone for Arizona? 5 18.52%
Comply with the new pending permanent Mountain Daylight-saving Time for Mountain time zone? 15 55.56%
Other? 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 06:21 AM

9,678 posts, read 11,043,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
LOL no. We move our clocks back, it will be getting dark before 4:30pm in the middle of Winter. The local junior high kids don't even get off the bus until 4:45. No thanks. We keep our time the same and let others change as they see fit
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
We get more than enough as it is, and the summer heat & intense sun are the reasons Arizona doesn't observe DST.
Good points. ^^^ There are always trade-offs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 08:22 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,067,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
They could just include southern AZ as part of pacific daylight time, northern AZ will be with MDT.
Best compromise IMO.
We spent the first week of September 2020 in Flagstaff, and the relatively early sunsets felt a little odd.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:42 AM

54,477 posts, read 33,774,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
They could just include southern AZ as part of pacific daylight time, northern AZ will be with MDT.
That would be one good solution.

There's a bit I didn't mention, the northeastern part of Arizona, which is Navajo Nation, does go to DST in the summer, so if Arizona's law makers decide to make changes that pertain to the time zone we'll be on, the northeastern part of the state will not be affected.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:49 AM

54,477 posts, read 33,774,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
It makes no difference to me. I'm just happy to be living here. I wasn't going to vote but after reading your comments I voted for Arizona to create its own time zone for you.
LOL.. Thanks for correcting my vote mess-up.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:52 AM

7,461 posts, read 4,281,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL.. Thanks for correcting my vote mess-up.
No problem.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:04 PM

6,657 posts, read 4,947,967 times
I'd prefer AZ being on Mountain Daylight time. That would give an extra hour in the morning before the sun rises, so I could walk our dogs in the summer at 6am instead of 5am.

One of the big downsides, however, is kids going to school in darkness in the winter. The winter sunrise here would be roughly 8:30am. As a child growing up in the midwest, I recall one time when daylight savings time was extended throughout the year. That January it was dark... I mean really, really dark... when we were waiting to get on the school bus.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:00 PM

26,127 posts, read 48,754,600 times
I voted to comply with whatever our wonderful congress critters manage to pass. Too bad that all too often what they pass is just a steaming pile.

That doesn't mean I like making DST permanent.

I don't like the semi-annual goat rope of clock changes.
I don't like being 3 hours behind the east coast, it means the stock market closes at 1PM for us here.

Only thing I find good about the 3 hour time difference is NFL games are on my TV at 10AM and I can see three games in a single Sunday of watching and still get to bed at a reasonable time.

Sadly, I note that Congress can't solve a damned thing when it comes to real issues, so they play around the edges, thump their chests and break their arms patting themselves on the back for "solving" nothing burgers like the Great Daylight Savings Time Threat. Good grief.

EDIT to add more:

Sleep experts want to end DST but want Standard Time to be the norm. Excerpts: "Leave it to the wealthy idiotic senators who design a permanent time system around their golf outings disregarding public health and the safety of our children. Sleep experts say Senate has it wrong: Standard time, not daylight saving, should be permanent. . . .

The Daily Mail has this to say: Excerpts: "The dark side of permanent daylight savings time: How the Senate bill eliminating the changing of the clocks may make Americans sicker, fatter and more depressed,...."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-17-2022 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-17-2022, 09:02 PM

8,025 posts, read 12,177,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sadly, I note that Congress can't solve a damned thing when it comes to real issues, so they play around the edges, thump their chests and break their arms patting themselves on the back for "solving" nothing burgers like the Great Daylight Savings Time Threat. Good grief.
100% agree! Here we are with out of control spending, a massive federal debt, and tensions with Russia ... yet, what do our "leaders" do? Waste time with "sunshine protection" bills. What a bunch of clowns! Patty Murray is the epitome of stupidity when she said that we need to deliver more sunshine to Americans. Obviously, she hasn't been to Arizona: the place where we need more sunlight like we need holes in our heads.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:42 PM

26,127 posts, read 48,754,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
100% agree! Here we are with out of control spending, a massive federal debt, and tensions with Russia ... yet, what do our "leaders" do? Waste time with "sunshine protection" bills. What a bunch of clowns! Patty Murray is the epitome of stupidity when she said that we need to deliver more sunshine to Americans. Obviously, she hasn't been to Arizona: the place where we need more sunlight like we need holes in our heads.
We should trade her state of Washington some of our sunshine for some of their rain. Win-Win.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:21 AM

10,830 posts, read 7,215,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Crap! IMO, then AZ needs to do a single, one-time change to become MST. Because that aligns with other states north of us. Potentially, pride is going to get in their way and they don't want to change. I bet the topic will be discussed. In the end, I doubt they will change it. Considering our current events, who knows if will even matter. 2023 seems like a long time away.
Arizona is already MST year 'round. Those other states need to stop dithering around with DST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona