Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
well that is not true- there is humidity here in july and august when the monsoon season is here it is muggy and nasty out, even though we dont get any rain we get horrible sand storms.

Oh my,you sure like to exagerate.
Humidity is not that bad until August,and even then,it only lasts about 2 or 3 weeks.
Want humidity?Go to Florida,Georgia or Alabama.Shut even Missouri turns into a steam oven.
Yuma is not that bad when it comes to humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 AM

268 posts, read 1,613,974 times
I lived in Yuma for 1-1/2 years – was happier than a pig s*** to leave. Ya know, if you like to trash the environment, drive everywhere, think American Idol is the pinnacle or arts and culture, love eating at Applebee's, and enjoy the trappings of suburban malaise while turning a blind eye to the grinding poverty that is everywhere ... Yuma is for you.

MAB, JohnPag ... I'm happy for you. Yuma is your town. Enjoy it.

Imissthefall, jaada ... I got the hell out of Yuma, so can you.

Redwingfan1 ... being an ex-Michigan resident, I will say that there was a time I would've hurt myself to live there.

Full disclosure: I live in Fargo. It's awesome. I can sled in the winter, walk to work, enjoy art museums, walk at night and not worry about getting mugged, took a huge pay raise to move here for the same job I did in Yuma, bought a house for a lot less than it cost in Yuma, go to rock shows, great bars, and meet people whose interests don't include "Buffalo Wild Wings" and "duning." Sure, it snows, but that means two things ... snowmen and snowball fights.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 AM
MAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingfan1 View Post
MAB-
I am new to this forum, but I have to say, that after reading these posts, you are giving me hope regarding Yuma. Everyone else seems very negative. My husband is possibly accepting a job down there, so we of course will be moving. I am nervous about moving 2200 miles away, and when I read all of the bashing going on regarding Yuma, I honestly felt my stomach drop!lol. Anyway, thanks for helping to even the field, so to say.
Hi Redwing fan.
Where are you right now?
Like I said before,people love to exagerate things quite a bit.
My only advice is,if you are a racist and cant tolerate hispanics,dont move here.
or If you dislike heat in the summer,dont move here.
If you love beign stuck in freeway traffic day in and day out.the DONT MOVE HERE.
If you love living in a city,where property taxes are high.THEN DONT MOVE HERE.
and many other things.

I should tell you,that a new hockey arena is in the works and should be built in the next couple of years,also a new water park.
We have a very nice mall called Yuma Palms(my wife loves it there) and also El Centro,CA has a very nice indoor mall and is 45 minutes away.
We have most big department stores,Sears,Target,Mervins,Home depot,Lowes,Sams Club,JC Penny,Marshalls,Kohls etc.
El Centro has Costco.

Honestly itd not as bad as they say,I love it here,so does my family.
My 13 y/o nephew is SOOOOOOOOOOO excited to be moving here,he is into dirt bike and quads and loves the idea of beign able to ride everyday if he chooses to.
My 7yo daughter and 8yo nephew also love it here,even in the summer.Because they can swim in the pool even at 10PM
And in the winter they enjoy some nice parks like the westwater lands,carver or the one close to the Yuma Scorpions baseball stadium.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 AM
MAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
I lived in Yuma for 1-1/2 years – was happier than a pig s*** to leave. Ya know, if you like to trash the environment, drive everywhere, think American Idol is the pinnacle or arts and culture, love eating at Applebee's, and enjoy the trappings of suburban malaise while turning a blind eye to the grinding poverty that is everywhere ... Yuma is for you.

MAB, JohnPag ... I'm happy for you. Yuma is your town. Enjoy it.

Imissthefall, jaada ... I got the hell out of Yuma, so can you.

Redwingfan1 ... being an ex-Michigan resident, I will say that there was a time I would've hurt myself to live there.

Full disclosure: I live in Fargo. It's awesome. I can sled in the winter, walk to work, enjoy art museums, walk at night and not worry about getting mugged, took a huge pay raise to move here for the same job I did in Yuma, bought a house for a lot less than it cost in Yuma, go to rock shows, great bars, and meet people whose interests don't include "Buffalo Wild Wings" and "duning." Sure, it snows, but that means two things ... snowmen and snowball fights.
See surrender,what tickles your pickle,doesnt tickle mine.
I hate cold weather,I love snow but only for a couple of hours then I hate it.
Sure Yuma is hot in the summer,but it only means 3 things.
1-Colorado river time
2-Swimming pool time and
3-Trips to San Diegos beach.which is 2 1/2 hours away

AND in the winter,while you are freezing you butts.
Im Enjoying 70 degree weather,BBQs,Enjoying shows like midnight at the Oasis,and I dont have to shovel snow in the morning just to get to work.
Ive been to places like St Paul,MN
Springfield,MO
and
Racine,WN
in the winter,and hated the cold.Id rather meet people that are into duning and buffalo wild wings than to put up with blizzards.
But then again,Im a fair skinned hispanic.Who is not that affected by the heat.I can see light skinned people hating the constant sunshine.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times
Quote:
there is no solution to snowbirds they will continue to come and disrespect the foothills and trash it and let their dogs crap all over the dessert,
Where do the coyotes crap????

Quote:
"there is little or no grass here and never will because of the weather here. It is so damn hot
I never understood the big draw of grass. I've been in or near Detroit all my life and most of the year the grass is brown anyway. I just got done cuttiing my grass and think I'll be able to get along fine with desert landscaping. I might keep a small flower pot of Kentucky Blue on the porch so I can cut it with a pair of scissors in about 2 seconds and tell my wife I "just cut the grass".

Old 05-23-2007, 04:31 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imissthefall View Post
In Yuma we are stuck out here in the middle of San Diego and Phoenix. At least San Diego is only 2 1/2 hour drive.

Yeah, I think that's the issue. It's too isolated to be a small town. Smallish towns like Camp Verde are at least close to a bunch of other towns, but there's nothing really close to Yuma. Oh, and Yuma always have the hottest temps of the towns in AZ. At least in the Phoenix area, you can go to a different air conditioned place for fun every night for a month, and still not run out of things to do. Who wants to drive so far to see a city??? And who moves from CT to AZ??? Total opposites! but if you end up staying, give yourself at least a year or two for your blood to thin out (won't feel like you're on fire all the time).

Old 05-24-2007, 06:15 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,894 times
I'm just going to Yuma for Memorial Day weekend. My best friend lives up there and he only lives about 10 miles from Mexico. So, we are going there too for a while. That's the only reason why I like Yuma...MEXICO!!! TEQUILA!!! Yayayayaya!!!! Vaya Con Dios, Mi Amigo's!!!!

Old 05-26-2007, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 55,397 times
It's all perspective. If you are a positive minded peep, you will focus on the positive aspects of Yuma. If you are a negative minded peep, you will focus on the negative aspects of Yuma. MAB is making 60K in Yuma because he/she is positive minded. jaada whines and teels you the bad things because he/she is negative minded.

I moved to Yuma 2 years ago from Tucson as the knowledge/money is huge right now in my industry. I only intend to stay here for another few years but you can have fun and learn a lot if you are open minded. My biggest beef is that the vast majority of peeps don't speak English. On the other hand, I am becoming more fluent in Spanish. Reality is, the hispanic population is going to take over this country at some point, so I will be good to go.

Yuma is 90 minutes away from gorgeous beaches in El Golfo. If you live in a big city, 90 minutes is nothing. We went down last weekend and had the whole beach to ourselves with beautiful sunsets and beautiful weather. San Diego beaches are not even comparable to El Golfo beaches.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/espealman/100_3599.jpg (broken link)

That's just an example of the good things Yuma has to offer. I am not trying to sell Yuma by any means. Like I said, I will be outta here in a few years. I am just saying anyone can enjoy Yuma if they allow themselves to, plain and simple. Don't come here if all you see are the negatives. Every city/town has it's negatives. If you looking to move here, just do your research and ignore peeps focused on the negatives. Lots of info on line.

Last edited by shiznit; 05-26-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-26-2007, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,385 times
Smile Former Phoenician says: Yuma? Nothing but the old prison...

Growing up in Phoenix, the only time we ever saw Yuma was when driving to San Diego. I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there. One visit to the Old Yuma Territorial Prison (very cool I thought) will make you understand. Hot, and a hellhole...

Old 05-26-2007, 06:38 PM

10 posts, read 55,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apisxv View Post
I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there.
If you grew up in Phoenix, you are well informed about heat. It's damn hot in Yuma. It's damn hot in Phoenix too. Either way, you need a good A/C unit to live in comfort. Thankfully we are all influenced by different perceptions of a "hellhole". Phoenix traffic is a year round "hellhole". Time is money in Yuma. Like attracts like.

Last edited by shiznit; 05-26-2007 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona