Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2022, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,482 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what it's like for people recently living in this county off grid?
What are different aspects you had to go through to live off grid?
What was it like when trying to get permits for different things for off grid living?
Any an all info on all aspects are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 05:32 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Have you ever been to Apache county?

Old 05-03-2022, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 8,482 times
No not myself but my husband has been there

Old 05-03-2022, 08:22 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Expensive aspect off the grid in Arizona is water. A well can be cost prohibitive. That, in my opinion would be your biggest obstacle. Second, would be electricity. Without power to your off grid property you will need a generator. And, it goes on and on. If you get my point.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:27 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times
Apache county lies over the Coconino Aquifer. Typically the wells are around 450ft deep. Most land purchased in Apache county will be void of any services...so the well, septic, and power is up to you.

Fortunately, many sites successfully pass the perc test, and many of the wells hit water without issue. Internet might as well be non-existent...
some have luck with Star Link for internet but the current wait time is 15 months.
power will be most likely combo of generator and solar.

It is very rural/remote.

Both navajo and apache are pretty friendly toward the off grid lifestyle and restrictions. Apache will monitor your property for any unpermitted changes though so that is something to be cautious of.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,053 times
Where did you hear about Apache county monitoring your property? I’ve never heard this before and am not sure how they would even manage that seeing as how vast of a county Apache is and a lot of it is very off grid.(Apache county is the 7th largest county in the United States) That would mean the county is paying people to drive around endlessly in hopes they MIGHT find somebody doing something. Apache county doesn’t even always send out a building inspector so I find it hard to believe or even see how they could possibly monitor your property for unpermitted work. That probably applies more to people within city limits. People don’t go off grid in city limits…..

Old 05-17-2022, 02:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,053 times
Have you purchased a property already or are you still looking? That would dictate some of the advice. With that being said I'll try to get right into it. Here are some quick things to know.

1. Apache county is LARGE as in the SIXTH largest county in the entire county
2. Apache county is VERY off grid friendly and a large portion of its residents live outside of city limits
3. The county website has tons of helpful resources like a parcel viewer, gis map and a water well database( ADWR)
4. It is VERY windy in most places throughout the county
5. The county varies in geography, everything from mountainous areas to vast valleys
6. Be AWARE of FLOOD ZONES! Ensure your property isn't in a flood zone or if it is at least be aware of that fact as flash floods are NO JOKE and can be DEADLY
7. Wells can vary greatly in depth from 200' - 650'+
8. You may find a property with power relatively close by or even right at/on your property
9. If you don't have nearby power solar is really your only option, however, you could also probably use a windmill.
10. Water delivery is an option you don't HAVE to have a well.
11. Rain water harvesting would be a great idea regardless of how you source your water.
12. You do legally need a permit for MOST work done in Apache county( the biggest building you can legally build without a permit is 200sq feet)
13. Apache county DOES NOT have an owner opt out for building codes as Cochise county does
15. There are several people on youtube you can find in Apache county and nearby counties doing the off-grid lifestyle, maybe check out some of their videos. Some channels are Frugal Off Grid Arizona(He's actually written 2 books about his off grid journey), and there's an older guy whose channel is Affordable Desert Living
16. Apache county doesn't always send out building inspectors especially depending on how off grid you are
17. I have NEVER heard of Apache county MONITORING anybody's property for CHANGES, not sure how they'd even manage that in such a large county. Sure if you're right in the city code enforcement will be around but not if you're miles outside of town.This would of course also depend on neighbors.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:01 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Stranger View Post
Where did you hear about Apache county monitoring your property? I’ve never heard this before and am not sure how they would even manage that seeing as how vast of a county Apache is and a lot of it is very off grid.(Apache county is the 7th largest county in the United States) That would mean the county is paying people to drive around endlessly in hopes they MIGHT find somebody doing something. Apache county doesn’t even always send out a building inspector so I find it hard to believe or even see how they could possibly monitor your property for unpermitted work. That probably applies more to people within city limits. People don’t go off grid in city limits…..
Satellite imagery. More governmental agencies are using it.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:43 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Not worth the hassle, just live in a small city like Kingman or Sierra Vista. At least you have the basic necessities.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:58 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Not worth the hassle, just live in a small city like Kingman or Sierra Vista. At least you have the basic necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona