Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 01:02 PM

990 posts, read 2,542,345 times

Advertisements

Based on the O.P's outline of desires....

I would suggest looking along the High Country of the Mogollon Rim.

Without much fear of contradiction, It rarely hits triple digits up in the forest.

Plus right along "The Rim" there is nearly a constant cooling breeze.

The "problem" comes in the winter.

Several years might go by with minimal snow.

Yet, about 3 years ago, I got approx. 40 inches, and was in the house for about 4 days.

NOW, no one has mentioned wild life yet.

Personally, I live literally on the edge of the wilderness.

As a result, Elk, Bears, Deer, Javelina and Mountain Lions are frequent guests cutting across my property.

Personally, I love it... However apparently a number of "flatlanders" are fearful of wild animals.... No matter how benign.

Soooo after many words, you can meet most of your criterial for moving.

The contradiction come from the fact that many people responding apparently live in the Phoenix area, when the reality is, Arizona is ENORMOUS.

For much of the year, you can be boating and swimming in a place like Lake Havasu, and a two hour drive later be snow skiing at the "Snow Bowl" up by Flagstaff.

I hope I was able to at least supply some hits and ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 02:12 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,276,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post

Without much fear of contradiction, It rarely hits triple digits up in the forest.

Yet, about 3 years ago, I got approx. 40 inches, and was in the house for about 4 days.

As a result, Elk, Bears, Deer, Javelina and Mountain Lions are frequent guests cutting across my property.

Personally, I love it... However apparently a number of "flatlanders" are fearful of wild animals.... No matter how benign.

The contradiction come from the fact that many people responding apparently live in the Phoenix area, when the reality is, Arizona is ENORMOUS.

For much of the year, you can be boating and swimming in a place like Lake Havasu, and a two hour drive later be snow skiing at the "Snow Bowl" up by Flagstaff.

That's just another great thing about it. We're just about in the center of the state at around 5,500 ft. in elevation. We can go just about anyplace throughout the state in a day trip.

So far we've had herds of Javelina, Coyotes and an occasional Bobcat cross our property along with a few bull snakes, a few tarantula's and there are lizards all over the place. We go out into the desert often and have only seen two rattlesnakes. One that someone had already killed and the other was crossing the road that we almost ran over. Had to slow down come to a stop and get a picture of it. I've never seen a scorpion yet but one of our friends had them in their house. We once came across a King Snake while hiking on the mountain trails near our home.

Although I'd love to see one we've never come across a Gila Monster while out in the Sonoran Desert.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_5595.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_2281_2.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_4774.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_5448.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_3831_2.jpeg  

Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_3778.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_0178.jpeg  

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-27-2022 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-27-2022, 04:15 PM

4,532 posts, read 6,224,722 times
[quote=TooColdinIndiana;63495224]I'm willing to budge on the temperatures, as I said in my original post, I doubt I can get exactly what I'm looking for. How about places that get as low as 40s up to as high as 90s?[/QUOTE

Sierra Vista will come close, 4000' elevation, gets some snow that may last a day, 7000' mountains to the immediate west...but Sierra Vista is where i experienced mid-west level humidity during the monsoon season.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:16 AM

22,286 posts, read 11,787,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
How was the downtown?
LOL! When we went through it (sometime back in the 90s) The store and gas station were open but we didn't stop. I remembered as we approached it there was a handmade sign that said "Hey, it's Nothing".

Old 05-28-2022, 08:18 AM

7,126 posts, read 9,199,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdinIndiana View Post
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my message! I am currently living in Indianapolis, looking to move somewhere with more moderate and constant temperatures. The weather and barometric pressure changes constantly and drastically here, and that gives me sinus migraine headaches regularly. Also my brother likes to swing outside, and he can't do it half the year here because it's too cold.

Looking for two things:

1) Somewhere with temperature that doesn't go lower than 60 and higher than 90s. 30 - 50% humidity would be perfect. Also realize that might not exactly be possible, so the closest thing to that is what I'm looking for.

Am considering St. Johns, Show Low, Flagstaff, Clifton, Parker, Nogales, Yuma, Sierra Vista, Tucson, Phoenix, San Tan Valley, Payson, Safford, and Prescott. Do any of these places sound like they might be close to what I'm looking for? Or can you recommend anywhere else in Arizona with weather close to like I described above?

Also looking at Why, AZ. Is there a reason Why, AZ is so cheap? Seems there's a lot of affordable houses there, and the weather looks possibly close to what I'm looking for?

2) Am also interested in places with lower temperature and higher humidity. Like 60 degrees and 80% humidity, for an extreme example. So if there's anywhere like that please let me know because I really like that weather as well.

Thank you!
You want a Camelot climate. We have it here in the SF Bay area:

https://ggweather.com/camelot.htm

Old 05-30-2022, 07:24 PM

23 posts, read 22,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
The "data" you have is wrong and out of date - there's a certain something called global warming that is taking a direct hit at Phoenix.

That's what you get for pulling random stuff off the internet and believing it instead of those of us who are telling you it's too dang hot for you based on your stated criteria. I personally have advised you to look at the Oregon Coast. I lived there. But if you want to believe "the internet", go right ahead. I'm done with you.
Yes Adamson, you and I discussed just the very same thing indeed. It seems another fellow had the same gripes and also wished to express them.

Also, my source is the NOAA. I figure they are a pretty trusted source for weather information, yeah?

Anyhow, I appreciate your advice and absolutely have taken it.

Am still considering possibly places like Sierra Vista and Tucson. I realize it gets hot there, but I would take heat over snow any day. Especially if it's lower humidity.

Also looking at places like Alamogordo and Silver City, NM, but it looks colder than in AZ.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You want a Camelot climate. We have it here in the SF Bay area:

https://ggweather.com/camelot.htm
That's really interesting, never heard about the Camelot Climate, but it sounds great! It's weird, I just had someone else tell me SF Bay is too windy and cold. I guess it's all perspective?

Old 05-30-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post

This sounds really awesome! I've never heard about the high country in Arizona and it looks beautiful.

What cities would be good to look at in the high country along the Mogollon Rim? Is it places like Payson, Sedona, Show Low, Alpine and Pinetop-Lakeside?

Old 05-30-2022, 10:04 PM

990 posts, read 2,542,345 times
Quote:
This sounds really awesome! I've never heard about the high country in Arizona and it looks beautiful.

What cities would be good to look at in the high country along the Mogollon Rim? Is it places like Payson, Sedona, Show Low, Alpine and Pinetop-Lakeside?

To directly answer your question.

The areas of Payson, Sedona, and nearby towns have a much easier access to Phoenix.

For example the Payson area is approx. 90 minutes from the valley.

Places like Show Low, Alpine and Pinetop lakeside are much more remote.

Figure 2 1/2 to 3 hours out of the Phoenix area.

NOW... a question for you..... Have you ever visited Arizona for any length of time?

When you visit, you will quickly learn that there are any number of beautiful mountain towns along "Rim Country".

BTW, simply for education, the reason my area is referred to as "The High Country" is.....

Phoenix and much of "The Valley" sits at approx. 1,000 foot elevation.

My place is almost exactly 6,000 feet.

Put in other terms, I am almost exactly one mile higher and much cooler than Phoenix.

EDIT.... I neglected to add.... Alpine is drop dead gorgeous.

It's problem is it is quite a ways out from towns of significant size.

You might want to do a quick search on the town of "Young".

Very idyllic and tranquil.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:44 AM

7,126 posts, read 9,199,181 times
Quote:
That's really interesting, never heard about the Camelot Climate, but it sounds great! It's weird, I just had someone else tell me SF Bay is too windy and cold. I guess it's all perspective?
The Bay area has lots of micro-climates. Here in the East Bay it tends to be warmer and calmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona