Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 12:59 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Unfortunately Apache Trail is closed indefinitely at this point. A couple of my favorites is 89 from Prescott to Sedona and Catalina Hwy to Mt. Lemon.
I read that recently. I think that they closed the bridge at Fish Creek Canyon? Prescott to Sedona that would be 89A and will take you right into Flagstaff. It is pretty awesome that's for sure. But there aren't too many places in Arizona that are not? Before we moved Sedona was on our list of places to live. But most of the homes were out of our price range. I also found it to be too touristy and for good reason, who wouldn't be captivated by all of that beauty?

We also like taking 89 South past Congress then get on 93 North and see all of the Joshua Trees. Just south of Yarnell there's an awesome lookout point where you can pull off the road and see all the way to Vulture Peak. South of that is the Hotshot's memorial trail.

On one of our trips before we moved we drove from Flagstaff through Monument Valley to Mexican Hat, Utah. That was really something just standing where those famous John Ford westerns were filmed. I remember watching them as a kid and still do when they're on but never dreamed I'd ever actually be there. That was pretty exciting.

Since we've lived here most of the time we go out to Burro Creek Road not too far from Bagdad. It's about an hour and a half drive from us. We'd leave in the morning and be home well before dinner. This allows us to do a little target shooting and just wandering around in the desert for a few hours. My God it's just so peaceful and quiet out there. Just miles upon miles of untouched wilderness. You're a world away from everything and feel like you're in a different time period.

There's also a trail that we can walk to within our neighborhood that takes us out to Granite Mountain. It's about a 2 hour hike up into the mountains. At around 6,000 ft. there are some vantage points on the trail where you feel like you're flying. It's got almost 360 degree views of the surrounding landscape and we can see all the way to Humphrey's Peak in Flagstaff. It's amazing how diverse the landscape is here.

Of course we've been to the Grand Canyon a few times and once to the Hoover Dam and the typical places where a lot of people go when they're vacationing here. I've never flown, all of our cross country trips (3) have been by rail. New York to Chicago, Chicago to Flagstaff. We'd leave on a Friday afternoon and arrive in Flagstaff on Sunday evening. We went to several locations throughout the state where we thought we'd like to live and met with realtors from those places.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_5371.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_3046.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_0538.jpeg  

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-24-2022 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 01:49 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I read that recently. I think that they closed the bridge at Fish Creek Canyon? Prescott to Sedona that would be 89A and will take you right into Flagstaff. <snip>
Yeah sorry 89A. We usually turn off after Sedona...89A to Flag normally has too many RVs on it to enjoy it.

Apache Trail got washed out/destroyed after the fire/flood combo a couple of years ago. The folks that owned the Marina at Apache Lake just recently sold it since there is no way to get there (apparently). I agree though, that used to be a fun drive if you don't mind hardscrabble. Same with the road out to Seven Springs.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:22 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Yeah sorry 89A. We usually turn off after Sedona...89A to Flag normally has too many RVs on it to enjoy it.

Apache Trail got washed out/destroyed after the fire/flood combo a couple of years ago. The folks that owned the Marina at Apache Lake just recently sold it since there is no way to get there (apparently). I agree though, that used to be a fun drive if you don't mind hardscrabble. Same with the road out to Seven Springs.
There's no shortage of RV's in Arizona that's for sure. Arizona is an outdoor lover's paradise, it's our's too. Word's can't describe how much we love this state. Even after 12 years of living here we're still in awe of it.

That's too bad about the Apache Trail that's one of the places that I like to brag about when people are coming to Arizona for the first time. The first time we did it was in a rental car. I first read about it when we were still living in New York and from some of the pictures it looked intimidating. Then on our first trip to Arizona my wife and I were having breakfast and talking about going. A couple overheard us and told us that we just have to do it. I asked about the rental car and they said it would be no problem. They were right you just have to take it real slow. For what it's worth we also considered Apache Junction as a place to live.

We had neighbors that moved here from Kansas a few years after we did. We took them on the trail and they were just as thrilled as we were the first time. My God that was fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_3734.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_3753_2.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_3764.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_3787.jpeg   Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-img_3775.jpeg  

Old 05-24-2022, 03:55 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdinIndiana View Post
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my message! I am currently living in Indianapolis, looking to move somewhere with more moderate and constant temperatures. The weather and barometric pressure changes constantly and drastically here, and that gives me sinus migraine headaches regularly. Also my brother likes to swing outside, and he can't do it half the year here because it's too cold.

Looking for two things:

1) Somewhere with temperature that doesn't go lower than 60 and higher than 90s. 30 - 50% humidity would be perfect. Also realize that might not exactly be possible, so the closest thing to that is what I'm looking for.

Am considering St. Johns, Show Low, Flagstaff, Clifton, Parker, Nogales, Yuma, Sierra Vista, Tucson, Phoenix, San Tan Valley, Payson, Safford, and Prescott. Do any of these places sound like they might be close to what I'm looking for? Or can you recommend anywhere else in Arizona with weather close to like I described above?

Also looking at Why, AZ. Is there a reason Why, AZ is so cheap? Seems there's a lot of affordable houses there, and the weather looks possibly close to what I'm looking for?

2) Am also interested in places with lower temperature and higher humidity. Like 60 degrees and 80% humidity, for an extreme example. So if there's anywhere like that please let me know because I really like that weather as well.

Thank you!
Flagstaff is probably snowier and colder than Indianapolis due to altitude.

I doubt you'll find anywhere in Arizona that fails to drop below 60 every year. Actually, not too many places in the continental US that fit that criterion.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:41 PM

23 posts, read 23,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Have you actually looked at the climate statistics for some of the cities you listed? For example, Yuma zooms past the 90s probably nine months out of the year! There are days where the LOW temperature barely dips back into the 90s.

Arizona is definitely not what you're looking for. If moderate temperatures and moderate to high humidity is what you want, I'd suggest the Oregon coast. Seaside, Lincoln City, maybe even Astoria.
I have googled High/Low temps in each city I mentioned, but apparently got different results. Yuma came up like this:

High and Low for each month in Yuma:

January 71° / 44°
February 75° / 46°
March 83° / 51°
April 89° / 55°
May 97° / 61°
June 106° / 69°
July 110° / 77°
August 109° / 77°
September 104° / 70°
October 93° / 59°
November 80° / 49°
December 69° / 42°

So Only 4 months higher than 90s, and that is the High temp. Generally speaking, doesn't the actual temp usually fall in the middle of the High and Low? So that's why I thought it might be within reason.

Are the actual numbers THAT much different than the data I gave above? I sure hope not or all my research is not of much use!
Attached Thumbnails
Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-capture.jpg  

Old 05-24-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

For what it's worth and after living here for 12 years. There's no place else where we'd rather live. My wife and I absolutely love it here. Coming form New York it has been a liberating experience and it's not just about the weather. It's just about every aspect of living here. Every morning when I wake up and step outside I thank God that I live in Arizona and I mean that sincerely. We have such a sense of belonging here.
What is it about Arizona that you wouldn't want to be anywhere else? I have heard other people say the same thing, and it makes me wonder why? I've heard Arizona called God's Country a lot

Old 05-24-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Knew a girl from Why once. Asked here where she was from. She answered, "Why." You can imagine where the conservation went from there.
That is hilarious, and honestly part of my interest in living in Why: such an odd name!

Old 05-24-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
Hey you can watch this video, its about the pros and cons of Indianapolis. I hope it can help you. watch https://shrinke.me/JV3rl2f
I don't think it is about that, Dennis Michaels. I don't think it's about that at all.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:51 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdinIndiana View Post
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my message! I am currently living in Indianapolis, looking to move somewhere with more moderate and constant temperatures. The weather and barometric pressure changes constantly and drastically here, and that gives me sinus migraine headaches regularly. Also my brother likes to swing outside, and he can't do it half the year here because it's too cold.

Looking for two things:

1) Somewhere with temperature that doesn't go lower than 60 and higher than 90s. 30 - 50% humidity would be perfect. Also realize that might not exactly be possible, so the closest thing to that is what I'm looking for.

Am considering St. Johns, Show Low, Flagstaff, Clifton, Parker, Nogales, Yuma, Sierra Vista, Tucson, Phoenix, San Tan Valley, Payson, Safford, and Prescott. Do any of these places sound like they might be close to what I'm looking for? Or can you recommend anywhere else in Arizona with weather close to like I described above?

Also looking at Why, AZ. Is there a reason Why, AZ is so cheap? Seems there's a lot of affordable houses there, and the weather looks possibly close to what I'm looking for?

2) Am also interested in places with lower temperature and higher humidity. Like 60 degrees and 80% humidity, for an extreme example. So if there's anywhere like that please let me know because I really like that weather as well.

Thank you!
You won't find anything in your preferred temperature & humidity range in AZ. The places which have mild summers usually have cold, snowy winters ... and the places which have mild winters have hot, hellish summers. The only town I can think of which might come closest to fitting what you're looking for is Bisbee (SE Arizona). Sierra Vista isn't too far from Bisbee, so that might be something to look into. Otherwise, try coastal CA.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
What you are looking for is NOT in AZ. If it did it would be so over populated and expensive, most people wouldn't be able to afford it. You mentioned 2 of the snowiest towns in the country...Flagstaff and Show Low. You also mentioned the major desert cities in AZ...you do realize that it is not uncommon for Phoenix and Tucson to get well into the 110s in the summer? And drop below freezing in the winter lows? Nowhere are you going to get 50% humidity in AZ unless it is raining. Anywhere that doesn't get below 60° is going to be well over 100° in the summer. Anywhere that doesn't get above 90° in the summer will get well below 60° in the winter.

A 30 degree spread is usually only possible on a coast...look to CA, OR or WA if that is what you want, although I think WA may get too cold for your stated preferences. It doesn't sound like you have researched or visited AZ at all.
Here's the data I am working with that I got from googling. I've attached a screenshot as well. It's drastically different from the data you've provided about temperatures in Phoenix. So this is why I thought the temperatures I was looking for could possibly be found in places such as Phoenix.

High / Low average temps monthly for Phoenix:

January 68° / 45°
February 72° / 48°
March 77° / 52°
April 86° / 59°
May 94° / 67°
June 104° / 76°
July 106° / 82°
August 105° / 81°
September 100° / 75°
October 89° / 64°
November 76° / 51°
December 68° / 44°

Are these temperatures way off from the real temperatures?
Attached Thumbnails
Moving From Indianapolis, Please Help! 60s - 90s in AZ?-phoenix.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona