Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 07:53 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Why would I do have to do that when these conspiracy freaks handed big seats to the Dems here? They vote for the whoever parrots their unhinged fears (the election was stolen, LOL) without consideration of their (lack of) general appeal.
Again, we don't know that for sure. Many issues are important to voters, which could swing the pendulum either way, but the economy is by far the MOST important to the majority of voters. If people vote with their wallets this year (which they often do), expect Dems to suffer some big losses. As in many other elections, independents will likely be the ones who have the final say.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Again, we don't know that for sure. Many issues are important to voters, which could swing the pendulum either way, but the economy is by far the MOST important to the majority of voters. If people vote with their wallets this year (which they often do), expect Dems to suffer some big losses. As in many other elections, independents will likely be the ones who have the final say.
How is Kari Lake’s economic plan better than Hobbs’? All I know is she wants 12 year old tape victims to give birth and somehow Trump didn’t actually lose. You give these candidates too much credit if you think those that vote with their wallets have obvious choices.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:35 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
How is Kari Lake’s economic plan better than Hobbs’? All I know is she wants 12 year old tape victims to give birth and somehow Trump didn’t actually lose. You give these candidates too much credit if you think those that vote with their wallets have obvious choices.
Because the economy is the top issue, and that's how many people vote. Who can blame them? I certainly would put the economy above all these other issues, even though I'm pro choice, and disagree with the election conspiracy. All I know about Hobbs is she's refusing to meet Kari Lake face to face in a debate, and that alone is hurting her chances. As of now, the polls have the race too close to call. It could go either way in November. I wish we had a "none of the above" selection on the ballot because that's what I'd choose in the Governor's race.

If it's any assurance, I will be voting for the Democrat in the race for Secretary of State. I'm not fond of either candidate, but Finchem is trash to say the least. We'd take a big chance on Arizona having its image tarnished if he was elected to an office that's one step away from Governor. The only job he's qualified for is human pooper scooper as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Because the economy is the top issue, and that's how many people vote. Who can blame them? I certainly would put the economy above all these other issues, even though I'm pro choice, and disagree with the election conspiracy. All I know about Hobbs is she's refusing to meet Kari Lake face to face in a debate, and that alone is hurting her chances. As of now, the polls have the race too close to call. It could go either way in November. I wish we had a "none of the above" selection on the ballot because that's what I'd choose in the Governor's race.

If it's any assurance, I will be voting for the Democrat in the race for Secretary of State. I'm not fond of either candidate, but Finchem is trash to say the least. We'd take a big chance on Arizona having its image tarnished if he was elected to an office that's one step away from Governor. The only job he's qualified for is human pooper scooper as far as I'm concerned.
You didn’t answer the question. I’m not disagreeing that the economy is important and that many voters would like to vote based on economic policy.

Finchem is trash and Fontes is great choice.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:10 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Hobbs doesn't want to debate for the reason that Kari Flake professes being in the mold of Trump with hatred barbs, the claim Trump won and other lies, then there's her refusal to accept election results if she loses.

Old 09-22-2022, 07:59 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Do you also think Hunter's laptop is a conspiracy theory? Still think people who are skeptical of the COVID vaccine deserve to be fired? Are people who think life begins at conception "radical"? What about people who think boys have penises and girls have vaginas?
I'm a Democrat, and
1. So far I don't care about Hunter Biden's laptop, anymore than I care about the laptops of Donald Jr., Ivanka, Eric, Tiffany, or Barron.
2. I never thought people who were skeptical of the COVID vaccine deserved to be fired (although I think they were idiots).
3. I don't think that people who think life begins at conception are "radical", although that alone is not what I think should determine certain laws.
4. I don't think there's any question that boys have penises or that girls have vaginas, but what they do with their bodies when they become adults should be up to them.

Old 09-22-2022, 10:56 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Hobbs doesn't want to debate for the reason that Kari Flake professes being in the mold of Trump with hatred barbs, the claim Trump won and other lies, then there's her refusal to accept election results if she loses.
That's the problem though. This trend (we're seeing it more and more) to not debate your opponent is not good for the voters and the country overall. It's setting a very dangerous precedent.

But look at Mark Kelly, he is 1 of 100 US Senators which makes him an extremely important and powerful person, not only in the US, but around the world. As a sitting US Senator he has to be able to go on stage, face his opponent and calmly/professionally present himself and his ideas. They're not going to be exactly what everyone wants, but he has to present himself in a way that gives most voters the confidence that he's a capable and rational guy.

The Governor's job is not quite as important on the world stage but what they do can have a huge impact on domestic policy and it's a pretty select group if you consider that there's only 50 of them in a country of 350 million.

If you can't face your opponent directly and present or defend your ideas then you leave the door open for them to define you and that doesn't do us any good if you are actually a good candidate.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
That's the problem though. This trend (we're seeing it more and more) to not debate your opponent is not good for the voters and the country overall. It's setting a very dangerous precedent.

But look at Mark Kelly, he is 1 of 100 US Senators which makes him an extremely important and powerful person, not only in the US, but around the world. As a sitting US Senator he has to be able to go on stage, face his opponent and calmly/professionally present himself and his ideas. They're not going to be exactly what everyone wants, but he has to present himself in a way that gives most voters the confidence that he's a capable and rational guy.

The Governor's job is not quite as important on the world stage but what they do can have a huge impact on domestic policy and it's a pretty select group if you consider that there's only 50 of them in a country of 350 million.

If you can't face your opponent directly and present or defend your ideas then you leave the door open for them to define you and that doesn't do us any good if you are actually a good candidate.
I sort of agree but also, how do you have any sort of a productive debate with someone completely disconnected from reality? The fact that Lake thinks the election was stolen and that she thinks 12 year olds giving birth to their rapists' babies is somehow "pro-life" is all many need to know to determine that she is unfit to lead.

Old 09-22-2022, 04:42 PM

2,378 posts, read 2,707,802 times
Quote:
The problem is the quality of the candidates we have to choose from this year, especially in the Governor's race. One of them is charismatic & well spoken, but has pushed conspiracy theories about the 2020 election. The other comes across as weak, timid, and refuses to participate in a debate. I think Arizona will remain a pretty solid swing state, but I hope we can become less controlled by the government in all shapes & sizes ... which includes finally abolishing that archaic 1901 territorial law once & for all (I won't say what it pertains to, but I think we all know what it is by now).

It's interesting how differently you and I regard the difference. I certainly would agree that Hobbs should have invested in debating lessons to teach her to speak more forcefully, as she'd make a poor showing against a professional television personality.

However, I regard the difference as between one candidate who has considerable political experience and one who has none.

Old 09-22-2022, 04:49 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
I sort of agree but also, how do you have any sort of a productive debate with someone completely disconnected from reality? The fact that Lake thinks the election was stolen and that she thinks 12 year olds giving birth to their rapists' babies is somehow "pro-life" is all many need to know to determine that she is unfit to lead.
Some people would never vote for Lake no matter what.
Some people would never vote for Hobbs no matter what.
Then there's the chunk of voters in the middle that can, will, and have gone either way.
If we don't openly and publicly have candidates debate their positions, ideas and visions, then we all lose out because only the most partisan will be the ones who run for office.

On Wikipedia (just to make a simple point), under US Governor, the first line is this:
In the United States, a governor serves as the chief executive and commander-in-chief in each of the fifty states and in the five permanently inhabited territories, functioning as head of government therein.
That's a pretty important position in this country and anyone 'applying' for that job should be able to face their opponent on the debate stage if for no other reason than to at least show that they can stand up directly to adversity and defend themselves (verbally).
If, as you say, Lake is completely disconnected from reality, then Hobbs should be able to swat her ideas away effortlessly.
But, the Hobbs' camp is making a calculated decision that skipping debates will not cost her the election.
They could be right but either way, IMHO, I think it's the voter that loses in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona