Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 03:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,303,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I don't know if there is anything to this, but I caught Valley Fever four years ago and had a pretty bad case of it. Ended up becoming fairly active on some Valley Fever message boards and Facebook groups looking for ways to deal with it. What I discovered online is that 60% of the people don't have many symptoms, think they have a bronchial infection for a couple of days and the Valley Fever disappears. I was in the 30% where I was severely sick for a month, almost hospitalized and it took me about a year to bounce back. Then for 10% it brings on a lifetime of disability, hospital stays and often death. What I noticed is that the people online that perished from Valley Fever almost always had an Hispanic last name. Is there a genetic cause the predisposes that population to lung problems?
Valley Fever has many of the same symptoms as COVID. It's more than just a mere coincidence that COVID cases have been on the high side in Arizona. Valley Fever, COVID, and many other viruses easily thrive in dry climates. Lower humidity values cause infectious aerosols to become smaller, and they stay in the air longer, increasing the risk of infection.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-humidity.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You folks need to quit making this all political.

Covid cases in Arizona = 2.38 million
Covid deaths in Arizona = 32,182

Covid cases in US = 100 million
Covid deaths in US = 1.1 million

Only heart disease and cancer killed more people.

This was a once in a century pandemic. When that happens, life cannot go on as usual. And even today, in large part due to the number of people not fully vaccinated, waits at Banner ERs this week are sometimes as long as 10 hours just to be seen. You unvaccinated people are killing people and causing others great suffering because of your foolish politics.
COVID needed to be taken seriously, but it made absolutely no sense to force the entire populace to shelter in place for weeks or months on end just because an unfortunate few became deathly sick. You admitted that cancer and heart disease are more deadly, but guess what happened during the pandemic? Lots of people neglected their own cancer & heart screenings (as well as general doctor & dentist visits) because they were afraid to go out, and that was because the media & government put the immense fear into everybody that they were going to keel over & die from COVID.

I'm not the one who made it into a political issue. Furthermore, I said all along that vaccines need to be readily available, and I am fully vaccinated, so I've done my part. On the other hand, all the hoarding, fear mongering and extreme kneejerk reactions over this virus were completely unnecessary, and they contributed nothing positive to the situation.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:47 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,117,386 times
Quote:

This was a once in a century pandemic. When that happens, life cannot go on as usual. And even today, in large part due to the number of people not fully vaccinated, waits at Banner ERs this week are sometimes as long as 10 hours just to be seen. You unvaccinated people are killing people and causing others great suffering because of your foolish politics.

No politics. Just big government.

And wrong decisions....complete mismanagement.

The state of Michigan banned the sale of seeds during the pandemic.

Seeds. For gardening. To grow stuff. To eat.

Playgrounds were roped off here in the Phoenix area.

But just stay home. We'll pay you $840 per week to be quiet. The first $10k is non-taxable.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:55 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,117,386 times
I'm with Valley Native here.

Not that it's anyone's business; I was fully vaxed as soon it became available. Bonus: My second shot was at Gila River Arena and I was fortunate to watch the 'Yotes practice.

I dutifully masked up when social distancing was not possible. I wore the face diaper where it was required.

Vaxed twice. Had symptoms twice. Tested negative twice.

The overreach was incredible.

Roping off outdoor park grills wasn't gonna "Stop the Spread."

We knew it then. We know it now.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,303,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I dutifully masked up when social distancing was not possible. I wore the face diaper where it was required.
Same here. I look at it the same way as the "shirt & shoes required" rule which most businesses had in place for as long as I can remember. Nobody wants to see somebody's flabby chest, hairy armpits, or smelly feet in a store or restaurant ... just the same as nobody wants to inhale somebody's germs through coughing or sneezing. Mask requirements should be up to the business establishments to enforce, not the government.

Quote:
I had a slight case of COVID, as did my mother, my father, and my sister & brother in law. We were all vaccinated, and suffered only mild symptoms. Here again, the wise thing to do is to be vaccinated, but it should be by choice, and not a forced mandate.

Quote:

Neither was closing salons, fitness centers, limiting dining choices, etc. The ones who supported all that nonsense were the same ones who labeled "essential businesses/essential workers" according to their own self righteous mindsets. ALL workers and businesses are essential! What's really sad & pathetic is some people are still using COVID as an excuse for their own laziness, and poor quality service.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:33 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,734,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Gotta let this stuff go. Math isn't your friend in these circumstances.

Based on that criteria - if 400 more people die of COVID in New Mexico, then THEY will be the new #1. And if 600 fewer people had died in Arizona, you'd be down at #8 or #9.

Excellent point, that there are so many ways of calculating covid statistics. You can count infections, or hospitalizations, or deaths. You can count the number of cases, or compare the rise/fall of numbers - and one of the most common, and worst, is simply raw numbers, like "1000 new cases!"

That said, per capita is a good way to go, and we may not always be number one, but our dismal track record is nothing to sneeze at. Or cough at.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:03 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,740,392 times
Quote:
I'm with Valley Native here.

Not that it's anyone's business; I was fully vaxed as soon it became available. Bonus: My second shot was at Gila River Arena and I was fortunate to watch the 'Yotes practice.

And yet we are surrounded by people who will never stop pushing nonsense on the population.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:39 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,376,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
And yet we are surrounded by people who will never stop pushing nonsense on the population.
That's because there will always be control freaks. If it's not covid it's always something else.

Old 01-03-2023, 09:35 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's because there will always be control freaks. If it's not covid it's always something else.
Right. Like those telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies, who people can marry, it goes on. I guess we agree.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:01 AM

219 posts, read 178,515 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has made this is a political thing.

And as far as the vaccine goes, give me a break. It did nothing and continues to do nothing. Here's the latest: https://www.wsj.com/articles/are-vac...ng-11672483618

Here's a nice nugget from that article: "Notably, workers who had received more doses were at higher risk of getting sick. Those who received three more doses were 3.4 times as likely to get infected as the unvaccinated, while those who received two were only 2.6 times as likely."

Old 01-03-2023, 11:35 AM

51,026 posts, read 24,528,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Valley Fever has many of the same symptoms as COVID. It's more than just a mere coincidence that COVID cases have been on the high side in Arizona. Valley Fever, COVID, and many other viruses easily thrive in dry climates. Lower humidity values cause infectious aerosols to become smaller, and they stay in the air longer, increasing the risk of infection.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-humidity.aspx

COVID needed to be taken seriously, but it made absolutely no sense to force the entire populace to shelter in place for weeks or months on end just because an unfortunate few became deathly sick. You admitted that cancer and heart disease are more deadly, but guess what happened during the pandemic? Lots of people neglected their own cancer & heart screenings (as well as general doctor & dentist visits) because they were afraid to go out, and that was because the media & government put the immense fear into everybody that they were going to keel over & die from COVID.

I'm not the one who made it into a political issue. Furthermore, I said all along that vaccines need to be readily available, and I am fully vaccinated, so I've done my part. On the other hand, all the hoarding, fear mongering and extreme kneejerk reactions over this virus were completely unnecessary, and they contributed nothing positive to the situation.
First of all, you're exaggerating. We weren't sheltered in place for "months on end".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona