Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 09:48 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
So you would have been okay with, say, child labor, women not b being allowed to vote, products that kill consumers ... just to keep government about.

In any case, it sounds like you're missing the point. As consolidation continues, pretty soon there will be nowhere else to shop. We can already see, for instance, that we don't have much going on in Phoenix for office supplies after from Staples.
These comparisons are a little more extreme than a grocery merger. Not apples to apples.

Also, Arizona has a ridiculous amount of grocery competition. Target, Wal-Mart, Frys, Sprouts, Trader Joes, Winco, Aldi, Bashas, Whole Foods, AJs, Safeway, etc. The number of grocers out here is truly something to behold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 01:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
These comparisons are a little more extreme than a grocery merger. Not apples to apples.

Also, Arizona has a ridiculous amount of grocery competition. Target, Wal-Mart, Frys, Sprouts, Trader Joes, Winco, Aldi, Bashas, Whole Foods, AJs, Safeway, etc. The number of grocers out here is truly something to behold.
AJ's is a part of Bashas' like (Arizona-based) Food City stores, which now is owned by Raley's. Safeway and the Albertson's sub-brand are currently separate but not for long if the buyout goes through. Honestly, I'm not a fan of Safeway and Albertson's went from good when it was on its own to being meh under Safeway's ownership.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:20 AM

157 posts, read 567,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post

This is good for Phoenix, but not so good for the rest of Arizona. Here in Flagstaff we would like to see Trader Joes, Costco, Winco, Food City, and Smart and Final. Our competition here keeps merging.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:42 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Mergers are rarely good news for consumers and they are not in the case of Krogers. The only good thing I can see coming of this is that my gas credits will work at both Fry's and Safeway pumps. Otherwise, prices will rise and selection will fall. There will be fewer stores and fewer will be upgraded or modernized. The stores that are abandoned will become ugly eyesores with weed covered parking lots and graffiti covered crime magnets in the neighborhoods left behind.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:05 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times
I thought I read that the closed stores will be combined into a separate company.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:18 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
What's the deal with Safeway, why aren't they competitive enough with Kroger? We recently had our local Safeway remodeled, but it still looks dated, has narrow aisles and lack of high quantity. It's nothing in comparison to Fry's Marketplace with high ceilings, wide aisles and nearly fully stocked shelves.

Old 02-26-2023, 05:24 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
What's the deal with Safeway, why aren't they competitive enough with Kroger? We recently had our local Safeway remodeled, but it still looks dated, has narrow aisles and lack of high quantity. It's nothing in comparison to Fry's Marketplace with high ceilings, wide aisles and nearly fully stocked shelves.
Had an interview a while back with a marketing company that helped suppliers get into grocery stores and then promote those products. One interesting tidbit I learned about Safeway and Albertsons was to look around both stores at the people shopping there. Rarely, if ever did you see someone with a full grocery cart that was doing their weekly shopping trip. Both stores relied on being on popular street corners and having prices 20%+ higher than Fry's, Wal-Mart or Winco so that people driving home from work and wanted to pick up 2-3 items for dinner wouldn't complain.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
They are normally expensive with whatever whether you talk Fry's, Winco, Walmart, Target, Sam's Club or Costco. The only time they aren't is when they have a specific deal. Albertson's was good for a longtime until the merger happened and Albertsons became part of Safeway with similar issues.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:15 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
They are normally expensive with whatever whether you talk Fry's, Winco, Walmart, Target, Sam's Club or Costco. The only time they aren't is when they have a specific deal. Albertson's was good for a longtime until the merger happened and Albertsons became part of Safeway with similar issues.
I can tell you with certainty that Safeway is ridiculously higher than any grocery store that I've shopped.
Frys not much better. Walmart is the cheapest, but thier meats are horrible.
I split my shopping. Can goods, cereal, vegetables, dairy, snacks etc. I use Walmart. The meats at Frys or Safeway.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:49 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
I can tell you with certainty that Safeway is ridiculously higher than any grocery store that I've shopped.
Frys not much better. Walmart is the cheapest, but thier meats are horrible.
I split my shopping. Can goods, cereal, vegetables, dairy, snacks etc. I use Walmart. The meats at Frys or Safeway.
Safeway and Frys are pretty close in prices. You have to shop the ads at Safeway. Meat is often a deal there. We buy 90% from Walmart with pickup service. Rarely go inside. The rest, shop Safeway. Frys is packed like Costco and simply too much hassle. I don't care if they do have a wine and cheese bar. We avoid it like covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona